LMU-DCOM vs. VCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

There's an old thread about this topic (exactly dcom vs. vcom). You should look it up

Members don't see this ad :)
VCOM. If you've been to either school you'll see why.

Been to both. I am thinking LMU-DCOM.

There's an old thread about this topic (exactly dcom vs. vcom). You should look it up

I also found the old thread about this. That was from a year ago, and I just wanted to see if anyone had some recent thoughts.

Been to both. I am thinking LMU-DCOM.

I also found the old thread about this. That was from a year ago, and I just wanted to see if anyone had some recent thoughts.

I Interviewed at DCOM...got waitlisted.....I am interviewing on monday for VCOM. Hoping things go well. I am thinking VCOM would be a better fit with me...maybe more research options with their affiliation with Virginia Tech and well, I have to see how Blacksburg is, but I LOVE COLLEGE TOWNS!

VCOM, older school with more reputation behind their name.

both good schools. I'd pick DCOM because VCOM has school year-round. I like having time off!

VCOM, older school with more reputation behind their name.
VCOM may have a reputation of being around for a while but thats about it. DCOM is working on the best reputation for all DO schools. Ask any attending who has seen their students and they will tell you the same.

VCOM may have a reputation of being around for a while but thats about it. DCOM is working on the best reputation for all DO schools. Ask any attending who has seen their students and they will tell you the same.

How can you back this up? That attending would also have to have students from every other schools rotate through to be a judge of that. I believe that it could be an excellent school, but have the best DO reputation?

How can you back this up? That attending would also have to have students from every other schools rotate through to be a judge of that. I believe that it could be an excellent school, but have the best DO reputation?

I think what he/she meant was they are very satisfied with the students coming from DCOM.

Best DO reputation? The best? You can't say for sure than what school has a DO reputation using your logic. No offense!

I will attend LMU so I am biased, but as much as I saw it will have a great reputation among DO schools in the near future. (considering it is a fairly new school).
Also, attending a school just because it has "the best DO reputation" is pretty stupid to me.Again, no offense. There are much more important factors to consider when you pick your school.

I think what he/she meant was they are very satisfied with the students coming from DCOM.

Best DO reputation? The best? You can't say for sure than what school has a DO reputation using your logic. No offense!

I will attend LMU so I am biased, but as much as I saw it will have a great reputation among DO schools in the near future. (considering it is a fairly new school).
Also, attending a school just because it has "the best DO reputation" is pretty stupid to me.Again, no offense. There are much more important factors to consider when you pick your school.

I said they are WORKING on having the best reputation, not that they have it. But I guess that is the mission statement of every school. I just know that DCOM is doing things differently than most schools and it has really shined through in the students they have sent to rotations so far.

I said they are WORKING on having the best reputation, not that they have it. But I guess that is the mission statement of every school. I just know that DCOM is doing things differently than most schools and it has really shined through in the students they have sent to rotations so far.

Agree.:thumbup:

For the OP,

Consider what factors are important to you, and see which school fits you the best. There are a lot of things to consider (rotation, profs., curriculum, tuition, close to family, location, etc...see other threads on that). Also, some students have an idea what they want to do after med school (that could change), so check which school can give you better "experience" on that field.
Good luck:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

If school just had their first graduating class, they have no real reputation, as far as residency programs are concerned.

DCOM doesn't even have their first graduated class yet (I'm not sure about VCOM- didn't it open it 2003 or so? So it would if I'm remembering correctly)...but I don't think that reputation comes strictly from residency program feedback. When the students are getting rave reviews from clinical rotation sites and other sites where they are helping out because older students and interns are asking THEM how to do things, that's a good sign in my book :thumbup:

Ok, well DCOM is one of the schools I haven't researched all that much so could you tell me what they are doing differently than other schools?

I looked over there clinical rotations and I'm concerned about the size of the hospitals and medical centers...I mean I recognize that most schools have a blend of sites, but maybe you can give your insight into there clinical years for me.

I haven't researched a ton of schools in as great of detail as I have DCOM, so some of these things might (and probably are) found at a few other schools....but these are some of the things that I have really found appealing at DCOM:

-they do block exams, where you have basically one huge test that covers everything in one combined test (at the beginning this includes all your basic biochem, molecular, etc)
-they teach by organ system after the first semester, integrating all aspects of an organ system into one segment of a particular length
-the afternoon after your exam, you get together with a small group of students and basically retake the test as a group, coming up with the absolute best answer together; this eliminates bad questions or ones that weren't covered well in class based on how many students missed it
-the size and variety of hospitals is actually pretty nice (though the locations are almost all smaller towns, with the exception of knoxville); they really are getting lots of hands on experience there
-the clinicals allow you to stay in one general area for the most part; i know a few rotations out of the 2 years can require you to relocate briefly depending on where you are originally placed
-lots and lots of technology, making life a little easier for students; for example, all the study rooms have flatscreens in them that can play old lectures and if I remember correctly, be hooked up to livestream other rooms in the building

Just some of the things that stood out to me... :)

Thanks Grace! I hope some current students can add to this opinion. Also, since they are a new school that has provisional accredidation, do you have to take out private loans? Does anyone know how hard it would be to get all rotations in Knoxville (except electives)? Is this year the first class to participate in a match? Thank everyone!

Thanks Grace! I hope some current students can add to this opinion. Also, since they are a new school that has provisional accredidation, do you have to take out private loans? Does anyone know how hard it would be to get all rotations in Knoxville (except electives)? Is this year the first class to participate in a match? Thank everyone!

You can get federal loans to cover most all your expenses.
Rotation schedules are given out in December of your second year. It is much like the match process. You will rank where you want to go and what rotations you want to do in a specific order. Then they put everyones list in a computer database that gives everyone there top pick if available. Last year 90% of students got their top choice.

I chose VCOM over DCOM for similar reasons as Bioman... University affiliation, environment, well established rotations, impressive match lists, positive input from alumni, etc. etc.

Regarding technology, both DCOM and VCOM have advanced equipment... VCOM has entire separate building entirely devoted for simulation (ie. dummies) and OMM, also VCOM is opening a branch campus and has recently added an MBA degree in affiliation with VT... my decision was based on these factors and the fact that Harrogate was a bit too desolate for me

Ok, well DCOM is one of the schools I haven't researched all that much so could you tell me what they are doing differently than other schools?

I looked over there clinical rotations and I'm concerned about the size of the hospitals and medical centers...I mean I recognize that most schools have a blend of sites, but maybe you can give your insight into there clinical years for me.

University hospital in memphis has just been added to the rotation list which I think is the biggest medical center in the state. From what I have heard about rotations though is that the smaller hospitals are very hands on oriented. Many students are first assist in surgery and it is just the student and the attending. Instead of being behind 5 residents you are first in line to learn how to do a procedure.

As for what DCOM is doing differently: They put a heavy focus on clinical medicine through a 4 semester course called essentials of patient care. One of the professors calls it "real doctor stuff" because it is all hands-on. You will learn: full H&P's, CXR, LP, central venous access, airway management, ACLS, PALS, Rx writing, suturing, bone marrow biopsy, surgical scrubbing, intubation, full orthopedic exams, CPR and the list goes on. They also have about 5 simulation labs and 5 objective skills clinical assessment exams each semester. The point is that they want you to be the best student on every rotation. The feedback so far has been amazing. 3rd year students from DCOM are outperforming most 4th year students.

In reply to the year-round VCOM stuff...... 6-7 weeks in the summer is actually more for the older classes (2011, 2010, etc). For our class (2012), we're getting out at the end of May and don't have to start rotations until August 23rd. 11 weeks. Every year they've been trying to increased the length of the summer break. PM me with more questions if you have them.

I picked VCOM over LMU last year. I would have been happy at either school, but I liked the area here better.

I have a friend who goes to LMU and really there doesn't seem like a big difference in curriculum. I liked that VCOM did blocks of about 10 weeks each, followed by breaks for a week each. This way, if you do great you get to take a week off. If you fail a class, you have time to remediate it right after (during that week) rather than wait until the summer.

Really, I am sitting here trying to figure out why I picked VCOM, as the two schools were so very similar in my eyes. I honestly think it was just that whole "you know if you belong" thing. I felt better at VCOM than at LMU.

If you're neutral about fitting in at both places, then I'd say the area is the biggest difference. We have more stores. :p

And yes I think it's fairly easy to complete most of your rotations in Knoxville. There are two options there, one at a very large hospital and one at a smaller children's hospital. With the exception of those required rural/community hospital rotations, I believe you can complete the rest in Knoxville. The only issue I see with that is that there might be a little more competition for that rotation set up. But who knows, maybe not!

As for what DCOM is doing differently: They put a heavy focus on clinical medicine through a 4 semester course called essentials of patient care. One of the professors calls it "real doctor stuff" because it is all hands-on. You will learn: full H&P's, CXR, LP, central venous access, airway management, ACLS, PALS, Rx writing, suturing, bone marrow biopsy, surgical scrubbing, intubation, full orthopedic exams, CPR and the list goes on. They also have about 5 simulation labs and 5 objective skills clinical assessment exams each semester. The point is that they want you to be the best student on every rotation. The feedback so far has been amazing. 3rd year students from DCOM are outperforming most 4th year students.

Every school does stuff like this. This isnt unique to just DCOM. I liked DCOM and VCOM both alot and they are almost exactly the same school except for the VT affiliation and the anatomy lab with windows. In the end i chose neither of them. I would have been happy at both of them but there is something to be said about going to a well established school with a large alumni base. Anyway most if not all schools do this early clinical stuff. Its nice to know but honestly you are going to learn all this stuff third year anyway. I would rather have a little more board study time during the first two years than spend a ton of time with patient simulators, etc.

VCOM has a SIM center with a mini-hospital on site. As a first year I just completed my first ECE which included working on the SIM dummies and starting IVs. Some of my classmates (1st years) just attended a suture seminar, and everyone learns full H&P's in their first year. We have standardized patients to practice on as well. Almost every med student I talk to has a similar class; it mainly differs in the levels of technology among the schools.

Not putting down your assessment of LMU, just trying to point out that in respect to everything you said, VCOM is the same. Both schools have top notch technology, good faculty, some good rotation sites (some much more preferable than others), etc.

It really does just come down to which school seems like a better fit. Go with your gut. OP - based on your other posts among the threads it sounds like you are leaning heavily toward DCOM anyway. If you liked it better, go for it.

I don't know about VCOM but I've heard that LMU assigns rotation spots to people.

Last edited:
I don't know about VCOM but I've heard that LMU assigns rotation spots to people. I don't know how they do it but you do get to stay in one city unlike VCOM. I don't know if VCOM changed that aspect of their school curriculum but you can never underestimate the value of not having to stay at a hampton inn for months at a time. Also, don't underestimate having a choice in where you rotate for half of your med school career.

No, VCOM allows you to stay in one city/area, we have assigned rotation areas for 3rd and 4th years including Roanoke area, Norfolk area, New Jersey, Southwestern Virginia, etc. etc. and each area includes an underserved component which is usually a remote clinic.

This thread caught my eye because these are the two schools that I'm trying to narrow down. I haven't visited either yet but will be soon. After med school I want to either place in a peds residency or an orthopedic residency. Any recommendations as to which school could better my chances in a certain residency placement or is it about equal?

VCOM is starting an orthopedic surgery residency in a year or two, so that would be one advantage. We've also had several grads work their way into good ortho residencies as well. Other than that, working hard at either school would probably help you land a good spot. LMU students have just started their rotational years, so over time we'll see how all the clinical sites work out.

Peds shouldn't be a problem at either school, as it is one of the less competitive fields.

Thanks BIOMAN! You always seem to have some great advice and insight!

VCOM is starting an orthopedic surgery residency in a year or two, so that would be one advantage. We've also had several grads work their way into good ortho residencies as well. Other than that, working hard at either school would probably help you land a good spot. LMU students have just started their rotational years, so over time we'll see how all the clinical sites work out.

Peds shouldn't be a problem at either school, as it is one of the less competitive fields.

I heard that DCOM was going to start an orthopedic surgery residency as well.

It's a tough choice for me. I liked the students at DCOM more than I liked the students at VCOM. It seemed like both DCOM and VCOM recruited two totally different types of students. I felt like that I would fit in better at DCOM, but others will feel like they fit in better at VCOM. "Different strokes for different folks." It doesn't really matter to me if I am Blacksburg or Harrogate. Both schools have top notch faculty members. Both schools have nice facilities. VCOM has been around longer. I'm leaning toward DCOM just because that's where I feel like I would fit in. The only reason why VCOM would win out is because it has been around a few more years, and they already have people in some very nice residency programs. VCOM's first class had very good residency placements...who's to say that the same thing won't happen at DCOM. Decisions, decisions...

It's a tough choice for me. I liked the students at DCOM more than I liked the students at VCOM. It seemed like both DCOM and VCOM recruited two totally different types of students. I felt like that I would fit in better at DCOM, but others will feel like they fit in better at VCOM. "Different strokes for different folks." It doesn't really matter to me if I am Blacksburg or Harrogate. Both schools have top notch faculty members. Both schools have nice facilities. VCOM has been around longer. I'm leaning toward DCOM just because that's where I feel like I would fit in. The only reason why VCOM would win out is because it has been around a few more years, and they already have people in some very nice residency programs. VCOM's first class had very good residency placements...who's to say that the same thing won't happen at DCOM. Decisions, decisions...
Now I might be biased as I just got accepted to DCOM and am definitely wanting to go there, but I would say DEFINITELY go there if you feel more comfortable there. I went with my gut like this in undergrad and sure I ended up in a lot more debt, but I would never take it back because I am so happy with the experience I had. Intuition exists for a reason. I don't know how far away you live with each, but if you can, visit one or both of the schools again. That might help. Good luck- it's a great position to be in really!

Wow, after interviewing at both I completely agree with you. I liked the DCOM students so much more! BUT the agenda of VCOM fits me more than DCOM. The nice thing about VCOM is that they already graduated students. Anyway, good luck.

In regards to the issue of staying in 1 area for 3rd and 4th yr, for DCOM students, 6 months of CORE rotations must be done at the site that you're matched at for your 3rd year. The other 6 months are selectives and electives which you can go anywhere in the country or even do an international rotation. As for 4th yr, 5 months have to be done here and the rest of the 7 months, again you venture out wherever you want or stay at the same site.

I've researched alot of the other schools 3rd and 4th yr curriculums and noticed that DCOM is one of the few schools that offers so many electives and the freedom to go anywhere, especially for 3rd year. Most schools only offer 2 or so electives 3rd yr so most students I've talked to end up just staying there for the electives. This was a big factor why I chose DCOM. This can be really beneficial especially if you want to do a competitive specialty and will allow you to do several audition rotation. Its also good for ppl who want to return to their home states (unless TN is your home state). As for the small hospital sites, I believe the new incoming classes will benefit alot because the clinical staff has been workng really hard to get more sites for us both in bigger cities and rural areas, so I am sure you'll have even more options than us. For example, we just gained Memphis Univeristy Hospital as a core site for next yr. I believe this is the same site the UT Memphis MD students rotate at. Plus we know that this school's reputation currently depends on us so we're trying really hard as a class to set a reputation for this school and its future. Just my 2 cents from my biased view of whats going on. :D

Wow, after interviewing at both I completely agree with you. I liked the DCOM students so much more! BUT the agenda of VCOM fits me more than DCOM. The nice thing about VCOM is that they already graduated students. Anyway, good luck.

I don't want you to call anyone names or anything, but do you mean the DCOM students were friendlier? Or more out-going? Open-minded? I'm just curious as I am trying to determine the list of places I plan on applying to. Since DCOM is so new I am hesitant about it, but from reading the threads on it the students really love it so I am thinking of adding it to my list.

for what it's worth, I really like my classmates here at VCOM. We hang out a lot after class, study together, help each other out with notes before exams, go out and celebrate after test day, etc. so there's no lack of social fabric or cohesiveness here.

I have no doubt about that. I'm not trying to slam VCOM at all. The VCOM students were too "Type-A" for my taste. They may not have been representative of the whole class. All of the DCOM students were very down to earth. Like I said, it just appeared that the two schools recruited two totally different types of students. I'm not saying that one is better than the other. The demeanor of the DCOM students just appealed to me more than that of the VCOM students. Simple as that.

I have no doubt about that. I'm not trying to slam VCOM at all. The VCOM students were too "Type-A" for my taste. They may not have been representative of the whole class. All of the DCOM students were very down to earth. Like I said, it just appeared that the two schools recruited two totally different types of students. I'm not saying that one is better than the other. The demeanor of the DCOM students just appealed to me more than that of the VCOM students. Simple as that.

I really did not get to meet a whole lot of the VCOM students. 2 on the tour and then I met a couple actually when I had to go to the bathroom...they seemed down to earth...but who isn't when one is in the bathroom. I just did not get the same OVERWHELMING positive vibe from the VCOM students as I did from the DCOM students. It really makes for an amazing atmosphere that is contagious, great human beings. It was really refreshing. DCOM was my first interview so for better or worse I compare everything to it.

I don't want you to call anyone names or anything, but do you mean the DCOM students were friendlier? Or more out-going? Open-minded? I'm just curious as I am trying to determine the list of places I plan on applying to. Since DCOM is so new I am hesitant about it, but from reading the threads on it the students really love it so I am thinking of adding it to my list.

I have never met nicer people than the students I met at DCOM. I would define the whole atmosphere as quaint. New facilities...and there is a good amount of study space. It just had a home type feel, very quaint.

The VCOM building is in a corporate district. Has a very different feel to it. I need a bigger sample size to comment about the students but....its an even sample size comparison so I still think it is fair. It could also be that the students I saw were drained from the end of their block.

Look there is not going to be a perfect school. Every school will have its pluses and minuses. I will find out if I get into VCOM soon :xf:and then I will definitey put my money down...but I will need to talk to some more students. I still have an interview at NYCOM......if I get into both...then I will start the NYCOM versus VCOM thread! HAHAH :laugh:

Really liked DCOM.....but it actually worked out better for me that they waitlisted me. I was telling that to my buddy who I interviewed with....and got into DCOM. He agreed. He already put in his $2000 and will lose it if something else pops up, but its nice also getting in.

I was hesitant too. The main positive is that the faculty really really listen to and help out there students at DCOM.

I'll post up more thoughts since I recently made this decision and have a unique position having interviewed at DCOM twice. The first time I interviewed (2 years ago) at DCOM, I loved it, either because it was my first and only interview anywhere or I genuinely loved the school. I thought the technology in the building was great and that all of the faculty were interested in getting to know me. The second time interviewing (this cycle) I was less impressed. The technology was still there but the faculty, specifically the interviewers acted like it was a chore having me there. There was no conversation to the interviews, just each interviewer taking turns asking me questions. I tried to lighten the mood a little by joking slightly and all I got was a wry pity smile. Another thing that negatively affected me was the wide spread of rotation sites. Sure there's the positive spin about having a wide variety of experiences but rotations in Memphis do not interest me, way too far away. All of the students were easy to talk to and very enthusiastic about their school. I received the acceptance and was very happy to know I would be SOMEWHERE next fall and not in my perpetual improving my medical school application cycle.

When I interviewed at VCOM, it was the best interview day of any that I've had so far. The presentations were informative and lunch was great. Each of the faculty I interviewed with showed genuine interest in finding out who I was. They talked with me and let the conversation run it's course, not just firing the questions off the paper. The anatomy lab at VCOM was great. I liked the way their OMM classes were setup where 2-3 students per room and each room had a practicing physician for guidance. The tour of Blacksburg was fun and the VaTech campus was impressive. I also liked the rotation sites at VCOM better, they seemed more centralized. The icing on the cake for me at VCOM was their involvement in rural clinics, RAM, and the international medicine opportunities in Latin America.

Between two great programs it was a tough decision but I went with VCOM for a lot of reasons. VCOM felt more like an environment I would be comfortable in. The students at VCOM loved their school, but not in the "we drank the koolaid" sort of way that some DCOM students come across to me. I would have been happy and excelled in either program, I am sure of it. The deciding factor for me, despite all of the stated above pros and cons of each school was a program that my significant other could attend. At DCOM, we would have had to live half way between LMU and UT because LMU has no graduate program of interest to them. At Virginia Tech, there is a great program for them which won't add a long commute into the stingy time requirements of either of our programs of study. In medical school, time will be an important commodity.

I'll post up more thoughts since I recently made this decision and have a unique position having interviewed at DCOM twice. The first time I interviewed (2 years ago) at DCOM, I loved it, either because it was my first and only interview anywhere or I genuinely loved the school. I thought the technology in the building was great and that all of the faculty were interested in getting to know me. The second time interviewing (this cycle) I was less impressed. The technology was still there but the faculty, specifically the interviewers acted like it was a chore having me there. There was no conversation to the interviews, just each interviewer taking turns asking me questions. I tried to lighten the mood a little by joking slightly and all I got was a wry pity smile. Another thing that negatively affected me was the wide spread of rotation sites. Sure there's the positive spin about having a wide variety of experiences but rotations in Memphis do not interest me, way too far away. All of the students were easy to talk to and very enthusiastic about their school. I received the acceptance and was very happy to know I would be SOMEWHERE next fall and not in my perpetual improving my medical school application cycle.

When I interviewed at VCOM, it was the best interview day of any that I've had so far. The presentations were informative and lunch was great. Each of the faculty I interviewed with showed genuine interest in finding out who I was. They talked with me and let the conversation run it's course, not just firing the questions off the paper. The anatomy lab at VCOM was great. I liked the way their OMM classes were setup where 2-3 students per room and each room had a practicing physician for guidance. The tour of Blacksburg was fun and the VaTech campus was impressive. I also liked the rotation sites at VCOM better, they seemed more centralized. The icing on the cake for me at VCOM was their involvement in rural clinics, RAM, and the international medicine opportunities in Latin America.

Between two great programs it was a tough decision but I went with VCOM for a lot of reasons. VCOM felt more like an environment I would be comfortable in. The students at VCOM loved their school, but not in the "we drank the koolaid" sort of way that some DCOM students come across to me. I would have been happy and excelled in either program, I am sure of it. The deciding factor for me, despite all of the stated above pros and cons of each school was a program that my significant other could attend. At DCOM, we would have had to live half way between LMU and UT because LMU has no graduate program of interest to them. At Virginia Tech, there is a great program for them which won't add a long commute into the stingy time requirements of either of our programs of study. In medical school, time will be an important commodity.

I think it is unfair to judge the school based on the actual interview itself. Each school conducts interviews a different way depending on the format set out by the admissions committee. Some schools have conversational interviews while others they ask specific questions that the admissions committee uses to gauge each student. I have actually been an interviewer before (at my old job, not for medical school) and was told not to smile or nod because sometimes students are surprised by the outcome of interviews, despite getting that “positive feedback” initially from the interviewer.

Anyway, I choose DCOM over PCOM. As you probably noticed by this forum, a lot of people agree that PCOM is one of the best osteopathic medical schools around. It was a tough choice. However, after talking to many students I feel that I made the right choice with DCOM. When making my choice, I did not contact any of the students from the pizza night or tour because I know those are the students that probably have the most favorable impressions of their school. I contacted random students on facebook that were part of the DCOM network and asked for their honest opinion. A lot of students I talked to also turned down some a lot more established schools to attend DCOM and do not regret their decision at all.

When you attend interviews, you will notice that each school has a different personality. I choose DCOM because I feel that I will excel there. I liked the smaller class size and the attitude of the students….. The first two years of medical school suck so you might as well be in a place where you feel comfortable and supported.

The faculty at DCOM is excellent! They recruited the best professors from all over. When you start you’re assigned faculty mentor to help guide you and make sure you’re on the right track. The staff is also extremely nice and gracious and I loved that. They really prepare students for the board exams so that was also a big plus for me.

The third years that I talked to told me about how prepared they were for their rotations and how they know more than some of the interns. Also, on rotations you are either 2:1 or 1:1 with a doctor and I think that’s awesome.

To the originally poster: I’ve never been to VCOM but I am sure you wont go wrong with either school. It sounds like both schools have a great curriculum and state of the art technology. Also- remember, VCOM was also a new school just a few years ago. I'm pretty sure DCOM will have excellent residency placements as well. Go with where you felt the most comfortable and where you will fit in the best. Good luck!

I think it is unfair to judge the school based on the actual interview itself. Each school conducts interviews a different way depending on the format set out by the admissions committee. Some schools have conversational interviews while others they ask specific questions that the admissions committee uses to gauge each student. I have actually been an interviewer before (at my old job, not for medical school) and was told not to smile or nod because sometimes students are surprised by the outcome of interviews, despite getting that “positive feedback” initially from the interviewer.

Anyway, I choose DCOM over PCOM. As you probably noticed by this forum, a lot of people agree that PCOM is one of the best osteopathic medical schools around. It was a tough choice. However, after talking to many students I feel that I made the right choice with DCOM. When making my choice, I did not contact any of the students from the pizza night or tour because I know those are the students that probably have the most favorable impressions of their school. I contacted random students on facebook that were part of the DCOM network and asked for their honest opinion. A lot of students I talked to also turned down some a lot more established schools to attend DCOM and do not regret their decision at all.

When you attend interviews, you will notice that each school has a different personality. I choose DCOM because I feel that I will excel there. I liked the smaller class size and the attitude of the students….. The first two years of medical school suck so you might as well be in a place where you feel comfortable and supported.

The faculty at DCOM is excellent! They recruited the best professors from all over. When you start you’re assigned faculty mentor to help guide you and make sure you’re on the right track. The staff is also extremely nice and gracious and I loved that. They really prepare students for the board exams so that was also a big plus for me.

The third years that I talked to told me about how prepared they were for their rotations and how they know more than some of the interns. Also, on rotations you are either 2:1 or 1:1 with a doctor and I think that’s awesome.

To the originally poster: I’ve never been to VCOM but I am sure you wont go wrong with either school. It sounds like both schools have a great curriculum and state of the art technology. Also- remember, VCOM was also a new school just a few years ago. I'm pretty sure DCOM will have excellent residency placements as well. Go with where you felt the most comfortable and where you will fit in the best. Good luck!

I totally agree! :thumbup:
I personally had a conversational interview, where they asked me a lot of follow up questions. It also depends on how personal you are on your interview. They were genuinely interested in me!
Every interview is different!
I am very glad I choose DCOM, just read the school specific discussion, you will see DCOM faculty/admission care about their applicants.
I choose to withdraw from WVSOM, PCOM-GA and VCOM also, but every people is different.
You need to chose a school where you really want to be, I think you can face disappointment if you choose otherwise!!!
Other than that we all have to study very hard no matter where we end up!!!!:cool:
Good luck to you all!

def go where you feel most comfortable. I had a chance to go to a school in a nice location with beautiful weather, which had a stellar matchlist, good faculty, etc. etc. but I simply hated their curriculum after attending one class. All of its positives didn't make up for the fact that I could be miserable there. most students that I've met are happy where they go to school...there's no reason to be the bitter sour one at yours. Go where you'd be most happy.

I went to the pizza night before my interview at dcom. I told the student host that I had interviewed at VCOM the week before, and she said, "well, WE'RE better." Kinda turned me off, especially since my mind was almost made up at that point.

What do you hate about the curriculum?

this particular school (not DCOM) used PBL; I thought it would be an awesome idea of independent studying. then, they stuck us in a room with the students during a group session. I almost fell asleep.

I like having a little more structure in my educatioon.

I got accepted to VCOM today. VCOM uses blocks no?