LMU-DCOM vs. VCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
congrats! yeah, VCOM uses system based blocks. I really like the scheduling and setup: almost entirely lectures, with just a few SDL (self-directed learning) modules to break up the monotony.

I was talking about a completely different school earlier, for which the weather was the only attractive part of it. Blacksburg's weather is alright in the summer, but not right now...we're supposed to get over a foot of snow this weekend. :eek:

Really, is that common. Not a foot of snow, but snow in general?

As a 3rd year at VCOM, I feel we are very prepared and primed to become great physicians. VCOM has been doing a great job with everything from the basic curriculum and board prep to the establishment and monitoring of the best clinical training sites. As with any reputable school, VCOM modifies the curriculum along the way and in anticipation of the changes regarding the USMLE and COMLEX; of course, changes are not welcomed by all students and can often prove very difficult and challenging. Some even feel the need to vent regarding their own struggles and lack of comfort in an ever-changing environment. It's a bit short-sighted to recklessly throw opinion around when you're a 1st or 2nd year student who hasn't taken boards or been on clinicals.

My best advice is to trust the faculty and administration not only the development and fine tuning of the curriculum, but also with regard to the development of the best training opportunities off-campus. VCOM will not - and has not ever let their physicians-in-training down, in any way. We are very well prepared and all the training in my time at VCOM has been far superior to most based on my time out in the field.

Lastly, make no mistake, both VCOM and DCOM are great schools and are both supporting a largely overlapping region as far as healthcare. Go with the school you feel best with and don't look back. I assure you that you absolutely cannot go wrong with either school. Best of luck with your studies.