LMU-Harrowgate v ARCOM v VCOM-Auburn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samurai5511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in LMU but already have acceptances to VCOM-Auburn and ARCOM.

I talked to the admissions advisor and, she said that I would still have a good shot at gaining admission to LMU. From what I have seen on the website, they seem to have pretty good residency matches. They have also graduated more classes than both VCOM-Auburn and ARCOM. I am wondering what the general consensus is about LMU. Would this school be considered to be a better choice than VCOM-Auburn or ARCOM?

I also do not care that much about location. I am more interested in the opportunities I would have regarding residency and am also strongly considering practicing rural medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

LMU DCOM was a last resort school on my list, and I would only even bother going if I was theoretically accepted to the Knoxville campus.

There's a lot of threads on them, not a good reputation. Particularly the probation, 20% attrition, and high failure rate for COMLEX PE.

Reactions: 4 users
LMU DCOM was a last resort school on my list, and I would only even bother going if I was theoretically accepted to the Knoxville campus.

There's a lot of threads on them, not a good reputation. Particularly the probation, 20% attrition, and high failure rate for COMLEX PE.
Lol, well thanks for the info. I am going to stick with what I have then. Also, where do you go to look up the school's attrition rates, etc? I haven't found anything for ARCOM or VCOM-Auburn.

Lol, well thanks for the info. I am going to stick with what I have then. Also, where do you go to look up the school's attrition rates, etc? I haven't found anything for ARCOM or VCOM-Auburn.

LMU-DCOM is also on Goro's badboy list

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

LMU-DCOM is also on Goro's badboy list
Do you have a link to Goro's list? Also, where would I get find the attrition rates for ARCOM and VCOM -Auburn? Are these public records?

I am interested in LMU but already have acceptances to VCOM-Auburn and ARCOM.

I talked to the admissions advisor and, she said that I would still have a good shot at gaining admission to LMU. From what I have seen on the website, they seem to have pretty good residency matches. They have also graduated more classes than both VCOM-Auburn and ARCOM. I am wondering what the general consensus is about LMU. Would this school be considered to be a better choice than VCOM-Auburn or ARCOM?

I also do not care that much about location. I am more interested in the opportunities I would have regarding residency and am also strongly considering practicing rural medicine.
I can't recommend either LMU or ARCOM. Here's why:
LMU: granted continuing Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. “Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring: This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.”

This is only one of three COMs that has this level of accreditation status right now.

Accreditation decisions for colleges of osteopathic medicine - American Osteopathic Association

On top of this, the administration of the parent body fired a dean for supporting social justice and racial equality.

ARCOM: Required mandatory lecture attendance during the COVID pandemic! And then charged their 4th year rotating students $3000 if they wanted to do an audition rotation outside of their network sites. (see: DO school demands students personally pay preceptors, esp. post #27)

I'm not crazy about a brand new school, either, so be prepared to be very independent at Auburn

Reactions: 3 users
I can't recommend either LMU or ARCOM. Here's why:
LMU: granted continuing Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. “Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring: This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.”

This is only one of three COMs that has this level of accreditation status right now.

Accreditation decisions for colleges of osteopathic medicine - American Osteopathic Association

On top of this, the administration of the parent body fired a dean for supporting social justice and racial equality.

ARCOM: Required mandatory lecture attendance during the COVID pandemic! And then charged their 4th year rotating students $3000 if they wanted to do an audition rotation outside of their network sites. (see: DO school demands students personally pay preceptors, esp. post #27)

I'm not crazy about a brand new school, either, so be prepared to be very independent at Auburn
For the LMU, are both campuses under Heightened Monitoring or, is it only the Knoxville campus? At this point, I am praying for an original 5, acceptance but, I am happy I got in. 😅

None of these are fantastic options tbh. But they’ll get you where you need to go like any other DO school. I’d base my choice more around factors like cost, location, mandatory attendance, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Out of those 3, I'd go with VCOM-Auburn. The facilities are nice, as they should be at any new school. But while this campus is new, they have the oldwr Virgina and South Carolina campuses to draw from.

Reactions: 5 users

Just wanted to clear some things out:

1) They did require lecture attendance in the beginning of Fall semester last year which I admit looked bad with the pandemic, but then they did switch to mostly virtual lectures except for labs of course. Although, no one cares even with the rule in place (which is below 80% classes are mandatory), many skip classes anyway with no repercussions. Unless you actually fail a class, mandatory lectures isn't a big deal here.

2) So our 4th year is made of 6 elective rotations, 3 selective rotations, and Emergency medicine. The confusion about the $3000 for rotations came after the dean said during a meeting that some of the expenses for rotating at our core sites during 4th year (ARCOM award a $500 stipend to preceptors for each rotation) may be passed down to us if too many people decide to stay at their core site for electives and in turn make it super competitive for the upcoming 3rd years to find preceptors (*correction from the OP the possible $3000 charge wasn't about audition rotations itself). Since then, we did have another meeting with our dean for clarifications, and we were assured that this was never an issue with current 4th years, so it shouldn't be a problem with us. Unless the entirely class decides not to go on Away/Audition rotations which is highly improbable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

1) They did require lecture attendance in the beginning of Fall semester last year which I admit looked bad with the pandemic, but then they did switch to mostly virtual lectures except for labs of course. Although, no one cares if even with the rule in place (which is below 80% classes are mandatory), many skip classes anyway with no repercussions. Unless you actually fail a class, mandatory lectures isn't a big deal here.

2) So our 4th year is made of 6 elective rotations, 3 selective rotations, and Emergency medicine. The confusion about the $3000 for rotations came after the dean said during a meeting that some of the expenses for rotating at our core sites during 4th year (ARCOM award a $500 stipend to preceptors for each rotation) may be passed down to us if too many people decide to stay at their core site for electives and in turn make it super competitive for the upcoming 3rd years to find preceptors (*correction from the OP the possible $3000 charge wasn't about audition rotations itself). Since then, we did have another meeting with our dean for clarifications, and we were assured that this was never an issue with current 4th years, so it shouldn't be a problem with us. Unless the entirely class decides not to go on Away/Audition rotations which is highly improbable.
The last part is still a bad look on the school, it’s un-acceptable tbh, at my school and almost at every other medical school they were able to accommodate all 4th years plus 3rd years at core sites last year, they should be able to guarantee that and not have 4th year students pay out of pocket after paying thousands in tuition to rotate at a core site affiliated with the school. Now sure you can say that this year many 4th years will go on aways and do online rotations(due to covid limiting auditions at some places) but the fact that ARCOM does not have enough spots to accommodate their entire 4th year class is a red flag, it’s nothing against arcom but it’s mainly a new school issue and issue with finding rotation sites/spots

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

1) They did require lecture attendance in the beginning of Fall semester last year which I admit looked bad with the pandemic, but then they did switch to mostly virtual lectures except for labs of course. Although, no one cares if even with the rule in place (which is below 80% classes are mandatory), many skip classes anyway with no repercussions. Unless you actually fail a class, mandatory lectures isn't a big deal here.
Required lecture attendance is not a deal breaker for my recommendations.

Required lecture attendance in the middle of a pandemic is criminal.

This tells me that despite having 2-3 solid months to come up with a back ip plan for teaching, the school's addiction to 18th Century education modalities was more important to them than student and faculty safety.

Required lecture attendance is not a deal breaker for my recommendations.

Required lecture attendance in the middle of a pandemic is criminal.

This tells me that despite having 2-3 solid months to come up with a back ip plan for teaching, the school's addiction to 18th Century education modalities was more important to them than student and faculty safety.
Those who can’t do. Teach.

LMU grad here. Place blows. If you want specifics ask in thread. Don’t DM. Public knowledge > private. I went bc I was somewhat local. But if you have choices. Don’t go. Instructors (clinical second year and some first) are smooth brained lizards.