LMU match rate for last year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justanotherpremed1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the match rate, not the placement rate, was for LMUDCOM least cycle? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As in 98 to 99 percent of students matched into one of the (likely 1-2) specialties they wanted to?
Look, you’re going to have a hard time matching ortho or derm (or whatever) no matter where you go. Nearly EVERYONE starts med school wanting something like that. No one DO school is going to give you particularly better chances than another. If you’re gonna play that game, reapply and go MD.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Look, you’re going to have a hard time matching ortho or derm (or whatever) no matter where you go. Nearly EVERYONE starts med school wanting something like that. No one DO school is going to give you particularly better chances than another. If you’re gonna play that game, reapply and go MD.
I dont want derm lol I just want to know if the majority of the class that applied to programs such as EM and IM and gas matched or if the ended up SOAPing

That's hard to get a meaningful number from any school... Look at board scores and match rates, matching to their desired specialty has a certain amount of self selection in that, unless you're stupid, when you get an average or poor board score you abandon trying to get into Ivy league IM, Derm, plastics, etc.

We matched a lot in EM, Anesthesia, IM, and of course Peds & Fam.

Reactions: 1 users
You asked about placement, which just means % of students that find some residency. It will be impossible to find out what the true/actual match rate is. It also does not include the games that schools will play. It may have been 99%, but only around 205 matched when class sizes are 230-240s.
I specifically said "match rate, not placement"

I dont want derm lol I just want to know if the majority of the class that applied to programs such as EM and IM and gas matched or if the ended up SOAPing
I'm highly confident in saying majority of LMU students who applied to EM, IM, or gas did not ended up SOAPing.

You asked about placement, which just means % of students that find some residency. It will be impossible to find out what the true/actual match rate is. It also does not include the games that schools will play. It may have been 99%, but only around 205 matched when class sizes are 230-240s.

Thats a very important point that many people ignore when looking at schools.

Some DO schools have this problem where they may not have a good MATCH DAY but a good amount will end up SOAPING into stuff so most of their class usually matches.

Idk whether that is the student's fault or the advisors that suck. Most likely the students with below average boards like mine going and applying to Derm LOL

Not gonna throw those schools out there but there are a good 3-4 that I have good friends and family that have told me their 4ht years all matched... but a good amount SOAPed.

Thats a very important point that many people ignore when looking at schools.
This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I'm highly interested in gas and EM right now, but will gladly fall back onto IM but if I see a massive chunk of students matched into FM I low key wanna knkw whether or not they wanted that or ended up there. Luckly it seems lmu matches a boat load into IM at least I suppose

This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I'm highly interested in gas and EM right now, but will gladly fall back onto IM but if I see a massive chunk of students matched into FM I low key wanna knkw whether or not they wanted that or ended up there. Luckly it seems lmu matches a boat load into IM at least I suppose
They really do, I think it was 90+ last year. If IM is an interest, you will have lots of residency's that already have LMU grads in them. It can be helpful. They matched a good amount of EM and Gas last year also (10+ each I believe off of memory), so certainly that is doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
LMU is a meh school. Probably average do school but if you want gas IM EM and you do decent you should be ok. IM being the easiest of the three and EM being the hardest (still not super hard).

Not sure what match rate is they do not tell us. Placement was all but a couple people last year.

The ones that didn’t match as stated above probably did dumb stuff like apply derm or plastics with an average or sub average board scores riding their hope on being a special snowflake then having their dreams crushed when reality hit and soaping into something “awful” like FM or IM alongside us mere peasants.

We have a few in my class heading toward that destiny too but for the above three you should be OK. You really have to do the dumb to not place from dcom. And by dumb I mean be socially inept, piss off preceptors, suck boards, and apply to stuff you should know you can’t get in competitive locations.
Listen to this person ^^^^

Most schools don’t have 1/3 of the class wanting FM, they get it as their #1 because they aren’t dumb when they weigh their options and realize what they can hit and still fulfill their life-goals.

So if you’re sitting on a DCOM acceptance don’t base your decision to go there on “people matching to their #1-2 choice”

Members don't see this ad :)
The best assumption you can make coming into medical school is that a majority of the schools in the country, regardless of whether MD or DO, will fall into a standard gaussian distribution. The elite programs have a slight positive skew, but otherwise most students fall around the mean. DCOM has a number of students every year that fall within the top 5% of the country, but these individuals would likely have been in the top 5% regardless of where they went for school. You should base your decision on whether you think you can be a successful student in the environment provided by the school because that is likely the one thing that varies significantly between programs.

Reactions: 4 users
The best assumption you can make coming into medical school is that a majority of the schools in the country, regardless of whether MD or DO, will fall into a standard gaussian distribution. The elite programs have a slight positive skew, but otherwise most students fall around the mean. DCOM has a number of students every year that fall within the top 5% of the country, but these individuals would likely have been in the top 5% regardless of where they went for school. You should base your decision on whether you think you can be a successful student in the environment provided by the school because that is likely the one thing that varies significantly between programs.
You should also look at how much of the original class makes it to that match list. If a school accepts 240 students and then has 205 people matching with a 99% placement rate, what happened to the other 35?

Not picking on LMU, cause this kind of drop is at many schools, but don't believe the 95% complete, theres always an 'except' on that statement. This is one thing I took for granted as a premed thanks to the mantra of 95% graduate, and 'its harder to get in than out.' Thats not always true at DO schools. We aren't the Carribbean, but we aren't USMD's either.

Last edited:
You should also look at how much of the original class makes it to that match list. If a school accepts 240 students and then has 205 people matching with a 99% placement rate, what happened to the other 35?

Not picking on LMU, cause this kind of drop is at many schools, but don't believe the 95% complete, theres always an 'except' on that statement. This is one thing I took for granted as a premed thanks to the mantra of 95% graduate, and 'its harder to get in than out.' Thats not always true at DO schools. We aren't the Carribbean, but we aren't USMD's either.

Numbers are fluid we learned that from the vandal statistician that dcom employs that had a history degree in worthlessness

So what would you say their attrition rate is?

Dcom star

205/245ish first number matched second started with.

Roughly vary year by year but it’s fairly close
Interesting. I wonder what number of those student were asked to leave or got sick or dropped out on their own accord

I’m just comparing what we start with to the match chart.

Rollbacks, failures, people taking fellowships, etc all make it vary. But one can expect the previous rollbacks/failures/fellows to fall into the next years match list so I’m still going with 205-201///245
Match/matriculate

I don’t know the details but most are due to academic or professional problems. The school does not fail people for the fun of it. Even though some ways people may not make sense for the most part the school wants to keep people.

I am not the schools biggest fan but usually if somebody fails it is for good reason. With the reasons being better later on.

I know people with several COMAT comlex failures and others who do dispicable things on rotations that are still here.

So don’t blame the school for the attrition rate always

Last edited:
For fun? No. But the SPC decisions look rather arbitrary.

I would not doubt that. Some people here I’m surprised are gone others I’m like wow why are they here.

Probably rich Parents padding ole Pete’s pocket

The ones that didn’t match as stated above probably did dumb stuff like apply derm or plastics with an average or sub average board scores riding their hope on being a special snowflake then having their dreams crushed when reality hit and soaping into something “awful” like FM or IM alongside us mere peasants.

I know of a few that didn't match (I was in last year's class). None of them were like you describe. I was close with two of them, and one didn't match into a middling level specialty in terms of competitiveness. She was very competitive for this field, however. Our class overall did very well. I matched #1 at a very big name academic medical center. I know over 20 people that matched their #1 choice. We placed people at Vanderbilt, UNC, Wake Forest, Tulane, WashU, UAB, etc, with only one of those matches being in primary care. And then plenty of other people in community programs that opted to go that route. But I don't know of anyone that wanted to do derm or plastics in my class at all, let alone that applied and didn't match.

Reactions: 3 users