LMU or RVU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I wanted to write and get peoples input on RVU and LMU. Both schools where in my top five and I've been accepted to both. My question now is where do I go? I figure no matter where I go I'll get a great education, but I wanted to get other peoples input on the two schools...pros and cons about curriculum, rotations... and so on.

Thanks everyone, I just figured it doesn't hurt to get others peoples opinion and insight. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I wanted to write and get peoples input on RVU and LMU. Both schools where in my top five and I've been accepted to both. My question now is where do I go? I figure no matter where I go I'll get a great education, but I wanted to get other peoples input on the two schools...pros and cons about curriculum, rotations... and so on.

Thanks everyone, I just figured it doesn't hurt to get others peoples opinion and insight. :)

The one that will put you in the least debt?
I personally like the idea of RVU's curriculum, but know nothing about LMU.
And all the med students on here say it's ALL ABOUT ROTATIONS and associated residencies! So I'd look at 3rd and 4th year and how they work. Do you have the ability to do away rotations early 4th year? Quality of core rotation sites. Travel required for core rotation sites? Weather and family situations. Just things to consider.

Oh yes and where do you feel most comfortable?

Loan issue w/ RVU - definitely take that into account.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just go to LMU and save yourself a crap ton of trouble.

Hey everyone,

As much as I like Colorado.....LMU all the way, but I am particularly biased.

We have one of the best match rates of any DO school (I think it was ranked 4th last year, but not 100% sure).

LMU is non-profit (but I am sure you already knew which of the two was for profit).

Best facilities of any of the schools I interviewed at, including a top 30 MD school.

Our dean is the President of the AOA (not that it really matters as a student, but it is a pretty cool fact).

But truthfully both schools are fairly knew, however, LMU is taking tremendous strides and doing all the right things to help place it as one of the top DO schools in the near future.

There are no "Harvard tier" DO schools, but LMU is a darn good school that takes care of its students.

And we have the #1 president, good ole Honest Abe, as our mascot (can't beat that).

As much as I like Colorado.....LMU all the way, but I am particularly biased.

We have one of the best match rates of any DO school (I think it was ranked 4th last year, but not 100% sure).

LMU is non-profit (but I am sure you already knew which of the two was for profit).

Best facilities of any of the schools I interviewed at, including a top 30 MD school.

Our dean is the President of the AOA (not that it really matters as a student, but it is a pretty cool fact).

But truthfully both schools are fairly knew, however, LMU is taking tremendous strides and doing all the right things to help place it as one of the top DO schools in the near future.

There are no "Harvard tier" DO schools, but LMU is a darn good school that takes care of its students.

And we have the #1 president, good ole Honest Abe, as our mascot (can't beat that).

Quite the argument you present. OP, he's right. You definitely can't beat that.

ACOM's dean came from LMU also, make it an even more awesome school

LMU.

I certainly don't believe they're reveled for their match. I also wouldn't be particularly in awe of an AOA higher up. They're pretty well not liked.

But you'll face all kinds of **** at RVU.

LMU.

I certainly don't believe they're reveled for their match. I also wouldn't be particularly in awe of an AOA higher up. They're pretty well not liked.

But you'll face all kinds of **** at RVU.

Have you seen our match the last two years or are you speaking from ignorance......my guess is the latter.

LMU unless you need a side of drama to go with your medical education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you seen our match the last two years or are you speaking from ignorance......my guess is the latter.

I've seen most of the recent released matches.

Chill out. Obviously, I'm a pre-med. You're what, an MS-1? Neither of us are in a place to judge matches.

But, my statement stands. LMU is simply not known for their match. Neither are most COM's. And, my lad, that's all I was saying. Nothing more and nothing less.

I've seen most of the recent released matches.

Chill out. Obviously, I'm a pre-med. You're what, an MS-1? Neither of us are in a place to judge matches.

But, my statement stands. LMU is simply not known for their match. Neither are most COM's. And, my lad, that's all I was saying. Nothing more and nothing less.

We judge schools based on the into we have on each school......that being said, LMU's match has been incredible for a new school (it doesn't take an ms4 to see it either).

We judge schools based on the into we have on each school......that being said, LMU's match has been incredible for a new school (it doesn't take an ms4 to see it either).

I don't know why you're still arguing with me. I never claimed your information to be inaccurate. You accused me of ignorance, but you're still whistling your tune while nobody is listening.

Anyway, I've got some more studying to do. :rolleyes:

match lists don't mean ****

Well if a school is constantly sending their students to good quality ACGME residencies then the match list probably does mean something, eg. AZCOM.

Pretty sure you could say <insert name here> vs RVU and people will always tell you to go with the former. I've heard pretty good things from RVU students about their campus / curriculum, and usually bad things from everyone else. Do your own research, see which school is better for you. Either way, you're going to be a physician and you'll probably get a pretty good education. Congrats on your acceptances!

Well if a school is constantly sending their students to good quality ACGME residencies then the match list probably does mean something, eg. AZCOM.

Well, my statement was intentionally hyperbolized so I partly agree with you.

However, people here put too much emphasis on match lists and that is a problem because:

1) few people here are able to distinguish between competitiveness of specialties
2) even less people here are able to distinguish between good programs and bad programs e.g. All the people who see the word Mayo automatically assume a top program
3) match lists mostly reflect the class's choices, not necessarily their capabilities

I guess the bigger problem is pre meds on SDN analyzing match lists rather than the match lists themselves.

Have you tried getting in contact with current students at both schools? If you can, ask them what they like or don't like, if they would have made the same decision about which school to attend now that they've been a med student, those sorts of things... and any other questions you may have about both programs. That might help. Good luck, and congrats on two acceptances!

Have you tried getting in contact with current students at both schools? If you can, ask them what they like or don't like, if they would have made the same decision about which school to attend now that they've been a med student, those sorts of things... and any other questions you may have about both programs. That might help. Good luck, and congrats on two acceptances!

But that could less to getting some bias answers considering thay some rvu students i' be met sm to be very defensive about their school. I would also vote LMU just because of their non profit status

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

But that could less to getting some bias answers considering thay some rvu students i' be met sm to be very defensive about their school. I would also vote LMU just because of their non profit status

That's why it's good to talk to several to increase your sample size and get a variety of opinions and perspectives. After talking to a few current students, things I heard got me to thinking about stuff I hadn't considered before; which led me to asking more questions. Couldn't hurt.

Can someone update us with the current status of the Loan issues at RVU?

One can only take private loans(read, more expensive) at this time, correct?

Yife Tien, founder of RVU-COM "describes the popular perception of higher education this way: "If you're for-profit, that means the product is not as good."

I agree with Monsieur Tien.

Yife Tien, founder of RVU-COM "describes the popular perception of higher education this way: "If you're for-profit, that means the product is not as good."

I agree with Monsieur Tien.

Why would he say that?

Thanks everyone for the input. I will agree LMU is a great school, but I have to ask why is there so much negative about RVU? I think that is what holds me back the most, because I hear generalized negatives about RVU but no specifics. I know there a for profit school, but when it comes down to it I'll spend just as much per year at either school; so it makes no difference there. As far as loans go RVU hopes to get government loans this next year, so for the time being there all private loans; where as LMU has more opinions. So I guess it comes down to why is RVU not a good choice? Don't get me wrong I'm not biased to RVU, it's just closer to family, but like I mentioned before my wife and I loved LMU and the Cumberland gap!

I think another big divide for me is the curriculum at the two schools. LMU is more traditional whereas RVU is more clinical problem solving... so that puts me at odds as well...

Thanks everyone for the input. I will agree LMU is a great school, but I have to ask why is there so much negative about RVU? I think that is what holds me back the most, because I hear generalized negatives about RVU but no specifics. I know there a for profit school, but when it comes down to it I'll spend just as much per year at either school; so it makes no difference there. As far as loans go RVU hopes to get government loans this next year, so for the time being there all private loans; where as LMU has more opinions. So I guess it comes down to why is RVU not a good choice? Don't get me wrong I'm not biased to RVU, it's just closer to family, but like I mentioned before my wife and I loved LMU and the Cumberland gap!

I think another big divide for me is the curriculum at the two schools. LMU is more traditional whereas RVU is more clinical problem solving... so that puts me at odds as well...

Ignore everyone and their stupid "for-profit" complaints. It's a new school that is progressing. Only time will tell what will come of this school. Basically all the hate is specifically because they're for-profit. Any other reason they come up with stems off of this. I'd suggest not listening to this ignorance. There is no evidence to suggest that them being for-profit is in any way a negative thing. There will be tons of hate for the next few years, but in about 10 years, if the school manages to prove themselves successful and produces great physicians, all those people will eat their words.

Ignore everyone and their stupid "for-profit" complaints. It's a new school that is progressing. Only time will tell what will come of this school. Basically all the hate is specifically because they're for-profit. Any other reason they come up with stems off of this. I'd suggest not listening to this ignorance. There is no evidence to suggest that them being for-profit is in any way a negative thing. There will be tons of hate for the next few years, but in about 10 years, if the school manages to prove themselves successful and produces great physicians, all those people will eat their words.

+1!!!!! It's the negative connotation of that term

Except other new schools somehow did significantly better than RVU in the match. Furthermore no low interest loans.
So please, let's get real here, going to for profit is almost as bad as going out of the nation.

Except other new schools somehow did significantly better than RVU in the match. Furthermore no low interest loans.
So please, let's get real here, going to for profit is almost as bad as going out of the nation.

I'm sorry, but do you want to quantify the "significantly better" comment?

Let's see, everyone at RVU matched, and most with their first choice. A number in primary care and a number in specialties, including orthopedics, neuro, ob/gyn, surgery, etc. Hey, maybe you just think there aren't enough MD residency programs there? is that your problem?

Truth be told, the RVUCOM match looks much like the match of other DO schools, and better than most.

Perhaps you don't like some of the hospitals RVU graduates went to? Funny, there are probably other DO graduates there as well in those osteopathic programs! The same would be true of many of the MD programs that RVUCOM students went to as well.

Your just commenting on alot of subjective BS without knowing or stating the facts!
Here are the facts from someone who is a student here:
1) The match was good
2) The Board Scores here (first time takers on Levels I and II COMLEX and USMLE) ROCK! (and by the way RVU doesn't hold anyone back until they are sure they can pass the boards, unlike other schools)
3) The curriculum here is amazing

I have heard that for profit schools like RVU, University of Phoenix, Las Vegas College, etc. are a bad thing.

There is no evidence to suggest that them being for-profit is in any way a negative thing.

It's a simple business model, and this isn't rocket science. A for-profit company whether it be in the cracker business or the training medical professionals business will operate at a level to achieve the lowest overhead cost possible so that they can, gasp, rake in as much profit as possible. If they're winning, somebody is losing. Will that be taken out on the students? Probably in one way or another, but who knows?

It's a similar situation that I've been a part of with a state run hospital that over the last year has been bought and privately run. Quality of care went from pristine to in the toilet in order to make more money. More sacrifices are made in for-profit scenarios generally.

He may go and get a great education without a hitch, and I bet that would happen. However, if you have the chance to avoid a 1) New school and 2) ****ty business model then by all means please do that.

I'm sorry, but do you want to quantify the "significantly better" comment?

Let's see, everyone at RVU matched, and most with their first choice. A number in primary care and a number in specialties, including orthopedics, neuro, ob/gyn, surgery, etc. Hey, maybe you just think there aren't enough MD residency programs there? is that your problem?

Truth be told, the RVUCOM match looks much like the match of other DO schools, and better than most.

Perhaps you don't like some of the hospitals RVU graduates went to? Funny, there are probably other DO graduates there as well in those osteopathic programs! The same would be true of many of the MD programs that RVUCOM students went to as well.

Your just commenting on alot of subjective BS without knowing or stating the facts!
Here are the facts from someone who is a student here:
1) The match was good
2) The Board Scores here (first time takers on Levels I and II COMLEX and USMLE) ROCK! (and by the way RVU doesn't hold anyone back until they are sure they can pass the boards, unlike other schools)
3) The curriculum here is amazing

So that was one of my biggest concerns, was the non traditional curriculum. So honestly have you found that its an added help? And do a lot of students struggle with it? It seems like its more complicated then most, but in the long run it seems it would help u be a better doc.

It's a simple business model, and this isn't rocket science. A for-profit company whether it be in the cracker business or the training medical professionals business will operate at a level to achieve the lowest overhead cost possible so that they can, gasp, rake in as much profit as possible. If they're winning, somebody is losing. Will that be taken out on the students? Probably in one way or another, but who knows?

It's a similar situation that I've been a part of with a state run hospital that over the last year has been bought and privately run. Quality of care went from pristine to in the toilet in order to make more money. More sacrifices are made in for-profit scenarios generally.

He may go and get a great education without a hitch, and I bet that would happen. However, if you have the chance to avoid a 1) New school and 2) ****ty business model then by all means please do that.

Both schools are new so your point 1 doesn't apply to this situation. I do agree that I'd rather go to a school that has been around longer. That is a valid argument.

The hospital I have volunteered at, delivered my baby at, and spent a great deal of time at, is for profit and is a fantastic hospital with great service to patients and happy employees! 1 hospital being run poorly doesn't make all for-profit models bad.

And logically, yes they want to decrease costs and increase profit, but WHY would they make the students suffer? Happy and very successful students leads to more draw to the school which leads to more applicants and more ability to make money. The things everyone says about the school's for-profit status and how it affects the students/quality of education/potential for success is entirely speculative. Yes this school could screw things up and suck for everyone. Or it could be amazing and become a very desirable school to attend. Only time will tell. Not a bunch of pre-meds (or med students) who think that the words "for-profit" are taboo.

So that was one of my biggest concerns, was the non traditional curriculum. So honestly have you found that its an added help? And do a lot of students struggle with it? It seems like its more complicated then most, but in the long run it seems it would help u be a better doc.

LMU-DCOM's curriculum is far from traditional. We have TBL (Team Based Learning), which is similar to PBL (superior in my opionion), and we have an integrated curriculum. 2nd year is all systems based.

We also have a large amount of patient contact in the first 2 years, as well as simulated patient encounters, and a state of the art simulation lab. LMU graduates are continually heralded as having phenomenal clinical skills especially when compared with the other MD students that we compete with clinical rotations with (although I am sure this can be said of most DO schools).

My point is that LMU's curriculum is not traditional (there is a large push away from traditional science-first then rotation curriculums across both MD and DO schools. And the fact that our dean is the president of the AOA would indicate that LMU would stick with this trend)

I never said RVU was a bad school, but I think LMU is an incredible school. I chose it over AZCOM, DMU, LECOM-B, and others (my personal preference).

The fact of the matter is that the best school for you is the one where you feel the most comfortable and feel you will excel. For me, this was with LMU.

Both schools are new so your point 1 doesn't apply to this situation. I do agree that I'd rather go to a school that has been around longer. That is a valid argument.

The hospital I have volunteered at, delivered my baby at, and spent a great deal of time at, is for profit and is a fantastic hospital with great service to patients and happy employees! 1 hospital being run poorly doesn't make all for-profit models bad.

And logically, yes they want to decrease costs and increase profit, but WHY would they make the students suffer? Happy and very successful students leads to more draw to the school which leads to more applicants and more ability to make money. The things everyone says about the school's for-profit status and how it affects the students/quality of education/potential for success is entirely speculative. Yes this school could screw things up and suck for everyone. Or it could be amazing and become a very desirable school to attend.

So... you agree with me?

Also, 1 hospital being run well doesn't make all for-profit models good.

I understand both schools are new. That part of my statement was more general.

Everyone is talking about clinical and loan problems at RVU, anyone care to elaborate?

So... you agree with me?

Also, 1 hospital being run well doesn't make all for-profit models good.

I understand both schools are new. That part of my statement was more general.

So I agree that they have the potential to be good or bad but everyone makes these statements as if they are "fact" and bashing on them for being for-profit. And I agree that 1 hospital being run well or poorly doesn't make a good example in either way. Just pointing out to you that your one bad experience didn't make all for-profit hospitals bad.

And those articles, I enjoyed them but I'd be curious to see similar research on graduate programs that have a thorough application process and filter out the less stellar applicants. Maybe it's just me but I feel like comparing graduate schools to undergraduate schools is like comparing apples to oranges. The point of being "more likely to be unemployed" refers to those with bachelor's degrees or less. Being a board certified physician, how likely are you to be unemployed regardless of where you got your education? And the tuition of the school is similar to other private medical schools (specifically DO schools) so I don't see them defaulting on those loans any more than any other physician working in x or y field.

I'm not trying to say that their for-profit status is definitely not a bad thing because it's just too soon to tell. I'm simply trying to point out that we don't know how it will turn out and so people making all these statements as if they're fact are lacking data and facts to back it up.

someone clarify this for me so what is the difference between RVU and the Carribean MD school besides the fact that one is M D and the other is DO. are they regulated differently because RvU is in United States?

I am not trying to support rvu or anything but I think you can't really compare rvu to school s like u of phoenix since whats is the most detrimental about for profit school to or society is that their degree means **** in the real world so their students can't pay back their loans. But I am figuring thay for rvu its bit different since it is afterall a med school in the us that grants a medical degree.

I still hate the idea that someone is profiting off of my education. In principal alone I think people should avoid for profit institution especially when they lean heavily to one political party that is wll funded by for profit schools.

Supposedly this school later goes belly up as alot of for profit companies sometimes do, that might give DO a really bad name?

Last edited:
There is no difference. RVU students may try to rationalize their decision but the truth is that for profit graduate education in this country is a ****ing joke and people -- especially residency directors -- won't take you seriously.

There is no difference. RVU students may try to rationalize their decision but the truth is that for profit graduate education in this country is a ****ing joke and people -- especially residency directors -- won't take you seriously.

they still match and become doctors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah they still match. But you can match by going to Ross.