LMU or RVU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RVU doesn't have 50% attrition...

Both are owned basically by the same company and run by the same model. RVU was invented because Ross and other Carib institutes will start dying in the next few years and thus they this way continue to rack in money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are owned basically by the same company and run by the same model. RVU was invented because Ross and other Carib institutes will start dying in the next few years and thus they this way continue to rack in money.

I read that this was essentially a response to Ross University failing to set up a for-profit campus in Wyoming back in 1999 through LCME. They just went through the wrong accreditation agency.

But back on track, it will be interesting to see if this trend continues and we start seeing schools with attrition rates akin to the Carrib.

Yeah they still match. But you can match by going to Ross.

You're talking out of your ass.

The extreme tone used in your post before the above solidifies that fact that you don't know what the hell you're talking about. PD's won't take them seriously? Says who? You probably won't be at liberty to make claims such as that when you're in medical school, let alone a period of your life where there's a much better chance that you'll never matriculate.

Settle down.

And with that said, don't go to RVU unless you have to. Unless you want to. Just do whatever the hell you want.

The extreme tone used in your post before the above solidifies that fact that you don't know what the hell you're talking about. PD's won't take them seriously? Says who? You probably won't be at liberty to make claims such as that when you're in medical school, let alone a period of your life where there's a much better chance that you'll never matriculate.

Settle down.

And with that said, don't go to RVU unless you have to. Unless you want to. Just do whatever the hell you want.

Speaking of an "extreme tone"...

Last edited:

Exactly.

Settle down.

The fact that you took the time to write a paragraph post to his/her one sentence post with unnecessary vulgar language just solidifies how credible you are.

I find it a little ironic when one do/future do student thinks he's too good for certain schools. Enjoy the application cycle, lol.

So you're saying it's bad to be selective? Sorry, but some people have standards in choosing what they are effectively investing 200k in. Get use to it.

It's bad to be too selective when you have less than impressive stats. It's good to keep an open mind and actually interview/see the school before you make too many assumptions.

This is true, except that even with my current mcat score from a relatively hectic summer I'm already nearly a standard deviation above from the average accepted DO student.
Regardless.

Stats?

I'm not insulting you, i'm just saying if I recall you had like a 23-24 MCAT. Not that it's a bad thing, many people with good ecs/gpa get in with that mcat but it will still be a tough sell at a lot of schools so it's wise to keep an open mind before you begin to immediately disregard certain schools.

I got a 26 with really minimal effort alloted ( Hectic summer again + I made the mistake of taking Kaplan) and my gpa is about a 3.75. So yah, even right now with my less than satisfactory mcat I'm good and can be decently selective. This not to mention ill be retaking the mcat and hopefully be able to actually put in time without distraction to my weakness ( PS).

I'm a 2nd year student at LMU. I'm not going to push for one school or another, but I will point out some things that I've learned over my (short) time in medical school that I think all applicants should consider when picking a school.

1. Quality of core rotation sites. Look at where they are, how far you will have to travel, whether it is a teaching hospital or not. There are different approaches to the first two years for sure, but I think 3rd and 4th is where you really start to see significant differences between the schools.

2. Availability of on-line lecture content and schedule flexibility. This has been absolutely critical to me thus far. I think being able to study the way that best works for YOU is one of the most important things a school can do to help you succeed. Some schools have required lecture attendance, some not at all, and there are many in between. I think this is an important consideration.

3. Cost. No doubt about it, how much you spend MATTERS. Make sure to include costs of living as well.

4. Reputation. This has a lot to do with how long a school has been around, but even in the DO world I think the bigger, older schools have a bit more brand prestige than those that are not. This might not play into your current decision too heavily, but I think it is worth considering. Reputation does matter a little.

I would pay far less attention to:

1. Match rates and reported COMLEX pass rates. There is no way to standardize that information (or at least any widespread attempt to), so you should know that you are not comparing apples to apples.

2. Anecdotal reports about "how prepared for rotations" people are. I think this is mostly propaganda. Do you ever hear about a school that sends unprepared students to rotations? Of course not. Everyone filters out the bad reviews and highlights the good. Ignore it all.

3. "Early patient/clinical interaction." I think this is a selling point targeted at applicants that are thinking "how soon can I feel like a doctor." I suppose there is an argument that starting early with the patient interaction can have some slight effect, but my experience has been that it is not all that helpful. Getting an OSCE or two in your first semester is not going to make you a better clinician, and the focus of the first two years should be *board prep.*

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I got a 26 with really minimal effort alloted ( Hectic summer again + I made the mistake of taking Kaplan) and my gpa is about a 3.75. So yah, even right now with my less than satisfactory mcat I'm good and can be decently selective. This not to mention ill be retaking the mcat and hopefully be able to actually put in time without distraction to my weakness ( PS).

You honestly believe you will be able to be selective? That's some optimism right there

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that you took the time to write a paragraph post to his/her one sentence post with unnecessary vulgar language just solidifies how credible you are.

Perhaps it's over my head, but I'm not sure what that post has to do with credibility. :confused:

You honestly believe you will be able to be selective? That's some optimism right there

I'm at or above the average at almost very DO school except NYCOM and Westen. And again, I undershot my Mcat, I'll retake it and easily raise it by at the minimal 4 points.
So realistically speaking there's no optimism, the numbers as are are pretty much in my favor.

Regardless I'm not going to defend my mcat score because I know it is piss poor based on what I'm easily capable of.

I'm at or above the average at almost very DO school except NYCOM and Westen. And again, I undershot my Mcat, I'll retake it and easily raise it by at the minimal 4 points.
So realistically speaking there's no optimism, the numbers as are are pretty much in my favor.

Regardless I'm not going to defend my mcat score because I know it is piss poor based on what I'm easily capable of.

You forgot azcom (28) or dmu (27). I had the same MCAT score and felt completely inferior.

You forgot azcom (28) or dmu (27). I had the same MCAT score and felt completely inferior.

I beat AZCOM's gpa by .2, and DMU is 3.7/27, so I'm about there. So both schools I'm technically average at. So my gpa saves me somewhat.

You may be right but your post/posts spew arrogance. Perhaps that is why this conversation continues

You may be right but your post/posts spew arrogance. Perhaps that is why this conversation continues

No, my posts counter Cole's assumption that I should be begging any DO school to accept me. Sorry, but if openly stating standards makes me arrogant then so be it.
Regardless let's return this thread back to the topic and move it away from me and my low mcat score, (though the comments are building a stronger desire to improve it!).

I beat AZCOM's gpa by .2, and DMU is 3.7/27, so I'm about there. So both schools I'm technically average at. So my gpa saves me somewhat.

Oh i see what your talking about... Yea I was in the same position and was accepted to azcom. I thought you were basing it on MCAT alone.

As a side note, we have similar numbers and I had 14 interviews. Cancelled 11 after my AZCOM acceptance.

Oh i see what your talking about... Yea I was in the same position and was accepted to azcom. I thought you were basing it on MCAT alone.

As a side note, we have similar numbers and I had 14 interviews. Cancelled 11 after my AZCOM acceptance.

Holy.....

There's a good chance that we may end up being classmates! :)

Holy.....

There's a good chance that we may end up being classmates! :)

That would be sick Neko! Yea I'm still getting them too, I just have to cancel. If you include the one I got yesterday it was 15 but I stopped counting after the acceptance. Lol

Lol thank you for taking my desire to retake the mcat and throwing it out of the window >.<
But yah... Applying, you did it right.

That would be sick Neko! Yea I'm still getting them too, I just have to cancel. If you include the one I got yesterday it was 15 but I stopped counting after the acceptance. Lol

Wow 15?! That's impressive! I only have 2 to cancel..which I should probably do soon :oops:.

Lol thank you for taking my desire to retake the mcat and throwing it out of the window >.<
But yah... Applying, you did it right.

Haha do whatever you feel is right. We have similar numbers so you can use my success as an example. However, I'm sure plenty of people get rejected with out stats. If you are confident you can do better, why not retake and apply MD?

Haha do whatever you feel is right. We have similar numbers so you can use my success as an example. However, I'm sure plenty of people get rejected with out stats. If you are confident you can do better, why not retake and apply MD?

That's the goal lol. But yah, I've got plenty of time to improve it.

Wow 15?! That's impressive! I only have 2 to cancel..which I should probably do soon :oops:.

I just sent a mass email to the schools sating sorry. Some were kind of rude about me canceling, others were really nice. Oh well.

rude how?

One literally sent an email back saying "ok" nothing else. No name or contact info. Another went into this long thing about how I should have notified them earlier (although the interview was over a month away and I sent the email as soon as I got my acceptance) it was just weird.

You guys are overlooking the main point here: If Serenade (and others like him/her) has good enough stats to get into RVU, then he has good enough stats to get into several other, more respected DO schools. Therefore, why should he apply to RVU?

Lol 3.6 and about 28 has become the norm for most DO schools. It is going to continue to get higher. They are also very preferenced in terms of region so you will find trouble getting into some of these schools. A 26 is not above average at all.. maybe 4-5 years ago it was, but not anymore. I was outright rejected from a few schools with my 3.5 and 27 with likely better ECs than you. Every year it gets harder, I don't think you should be so confident with a 26. When you get that 30, then be confident of DO acceptances.

Lol 3.6 and about 28 has become the norm for most DO schools. It is going to continue to get higher. They are also very preferenced in terms of region so you will find trouble getting into some of these schools. A 26 is not above average at all.. maybe 4-5 years ago it was, but not anymore. I was outright rejected from a few schools with my 3.5 and 27 with likely better ECs than you. Every year it gets harder, I don't think you should be so confident with a 26. When you get that 30, then be confident of DO acceptances.

3.44/26.5 is the average last year. Down from the previous year, sorry. If I got a 3.7/30 I'd be confident of a MD acceptance...

Actually, the LizzyM score is a rough guideline. I'd say that schools differ in which stats they weigh more. Some schools might really value a high GPA, while others may really like seeing a higher MCAT.

You guys are overlooking the main point here: If Serenade (and others like him/her) has good enough stats to get into RVU, then he has good enough stats to get into several other, more respected DO schools. Therefore, why should he apply to RVU?

have you seen RVUs thread and noticed the people they're rejecting? they were rejecting people with really awesome stats.

And the only reason the average isnt increasing too much is because we keep adding new schools+incrasing class sizes. A lot of schools are rapidly increasing their averages and that equals out the overall average. LECOM-Bs average last year was like a 3.53/28

have you seen rvus thread and noticed the people they're rejecting? They were rejecting people with really awesome stats.

And the only reason the average isnt increasing too much is because we keep adding new schools+incrasing class sizes. A lot of schools are rapidly increasing their averages and that equals out the overall average. Lecom-bs average last year was like a 3.53/28

3.53/26*

Honesty cole this thread is over. LMU is the winner by a long shot.

wrong, they had a 28 mcat average.

I interviewed there and they showed us the statistics. The stats on the UD thread are mostly wrong.

Kk, I doubt they saw a 2 point increase in a year when accepted averages fell. But whatever makes you happy.

you can just read the lecom b thread right nw and see the stats of some of the people interviewing there --_-.

you can just read the lecom b thread right nw and see the stats of some of the people interviewing there --_-.

I believe most stats on SDN about as much as I believe in the tooth fairy.......although I did get a few quarters under my pillow when I was five so maybe.......

I believe most stats on SDN about as much as I believe in the tooth fairy.......although I did get a few quarters under my pillow when I was five so maybe.......

yeah, but I don't think people care that much to lie about their MDapps. maybe some but not most.

you are such full of bs man, lol. Think about it: it's the lowest tuition for medical school in the country if you're going DO. Because of that they attract a lot of MD applicants who could care less whether they're do/md and they even attract high end DO applicants. The people in my group all had 29-31 mcat scores. Three in my group that got accepted told me they planned and on going and the lowest mcat out of those three was a 29. Accepted averages didn't even "fall" I don't what you're smoking.

so do I trust my interview experience, their statistics, and logic or do I trust your word and a random number on SDN? HMMMM I WONDER...

TL;DR: Cole: My anecdotes r importz.

LECOM-B is cheap but very few ppl are really into PBL.

If you are "easily capable" of it, why wasn't your score higher the first time around then? :laugh:

If you are "easily capable" of it, why wasn't your score higher the first time around then? :laugh:

I had a lot of issues in the summer which lead me to have less than adequate amounts of time to study. Regardless, I'm not one to make excuses, I should have known I needed more time.

LOL according to...? source..? So you're telling me whatever i heard/saw on interview day is completely wrong, and your baseless assumption is right. Ok then.

It's an alternative learning style.... I know I wouldn't want to try something new. Regardless you've made your point, let this thread return to the main topic.

It's an alternative learning style.... I know I wouldn't want to try something new. Regardless you've made your point, let this thread return to the main topic.

Ill stop being hard on you now, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill stop being hard on you now, lol.

Even though this has been said, I really really liked LMU. Id choose lmu over rvu in a heartbeat. ACOM is very similiar to lmu, it was a hard choice.

/thread

The two shouldn't even be compared.

RVU is officially approved for title IV funding as of today.

Something else for the RVU bashers to take off their list against the school, but I'm assuming the myopic vision of some on here won't be changed...

Edit: title IV funding = federal loans, just in case that wasn't clear