LMU or RVU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know in a lot of way this thread got way out of hand. Many if you took it a different direction and in a lot of ways it seems pointless. I often ask myself what are people's end goal? To treat and help patients or are you looking for the title? Whatever it might be, I don't really care. I would like to thank those who actually put in sincere input; I really appreciated the insight. As it stands I turned down LMU yesterday. In all honesty I loved LMU, but I felt Rocky offered more tools to me as a future doctor. LMU is a great school, but at the end of the day Rocky was a better fit for me. I feel some get to caught up with the small things, and forget the big picture... we get to be docs! What a blessing that is because we get to help people at a whole new level, and be there for people when they need it most! So I wish all of you the best of luck! Thanks again for the sincere input.

You know in a lot of way this thread got way out of hand. Many if you took it a different direction and in a lot of ways it seems pointless. I often ask myself what are people's end goal? To treat and help patients or are you looking for the title? Whatever it might be, I don't really care. I would like to thank those who actually put in sincere input; I really appreciated the insight. As it stands I turned down LMU yesterday. In all honesty I loved LMU, but I felt Rocky offered more tools to me as a future doctor. LMU is a great school, but at the end of the day Rocky was a better fit for me. I feel some get to caught up with the small things, and forget the big picture... we get to be docs! What a blessing that is because we get to help people at a whole new level, and be there for people when they need it most! So I wish all of you the best of luck! Thanks again for the sincere input.

Congrats on making the big decision and being able to sift through the ignorant garbage people spew about RVU. The way I see it, just choosing the schools that's better for you is what it comes down to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on making the big decision and being able to sift through the ignorant garbage people spew about RVU. The way I see it, just choosing the schools that's better for you is what it comes down to.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy S2

+1:thumbup:

Thanks!

Regardless of my personal opinions on for profit education (which for the record are not extreme) I am too am glad you were able to think rationally, and base your decision on facts and not any SDN/peer pressure. This tool will serve you well as a physician and I hope all of us will always make important decisions based on that! Congrats!

smartest thing thats been said in this thread.

The smartest thing you can do is choose a school that you like so you don't dread going to class everyday and you enjoy medical school. It's a lot easy to study for boards when you're happy and not wishing you didn't listen to SDN.

woot double negative

The smartest thing you can do is choose a school that you like so you don't dread going to class everyday and you enjoy medical school. It's a lot easy to study for boards when you're happy and not wishing you didn't listen to SDN.

woot double negative

I only half agree. There there is more to medical education than your first two years of med school and it seems like a lot of SDNers care more about 1-2nd year curriculum and location than elective opportunities and reputation.

RVU, when all is said and done, doesn't have that reputation. And no amount of rationalization willl change that. That's all us "RVU-bashers" are trying to get across. It's not a personal attack on the students. It's simply a denouncement of the institution itself. No more, no less.

I only half agree. There there is more to medical education than your first two years of med school and it seems like a lot of SDNers care more about 1-2nd year curriculum and location than elective opportunities and reputation.

RVU, when all is said and done, doesn't have that reputation. And no amount of rationalization willl change that. That's all us "RVU-bashers" are trying to get across. It's not a personal attack on the students. It's simply a denouncement of the institution itself. No more, no less.

But RVU doesn't have a reputation of BAD rotations during years 3 and 4. In fact I've heard nothing whatsoever about years 3 and 4, neither good nor bad. They're too new to even have established a good reputation in that sense. What do you (or anyone else) know about their clinical rotations? Their website indicates that they're associated with several big hospital systems in CO, but nothing more or less. So the bashing (with no real knowledge to base it on) is unneeded and certainly isn't helpful to anyone.

despite what many seem to think board scores>reputation matching into agme it won't be which DO school is better it will be is this DO canidate qualified to take a MDs spot in residency? If school rep does play a very part, id imagine its a very small part.

despite what many seem to think board scores>reputation matching into agme it won't be which DO school is better it will be is this DO canidate qualified to take a MDs spot in residency? If school rep does play a very part, id imagine its a very small part.

Handwavy.

If reputation didn't matter FMGs with killer board scores from the Carrib wouldn't have anything to worry about either but that's not the case. If you get a killer score it's not like your career is pooched, obviously, but going to the wrong school can still close doors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Handwavy.

If reputation didn't matter FMGs with killer board scores from the Carrib wouldn't have anything to worry about either but that's not the case. If you get a killer score it's not like your career is pooched, obviously, but going to the wrong school can still close doors.

There is a difference between carib and DO, you are comparing apples and oranges. See im telling you this because you don't get it. You think you get it, but that's not actually the same thing as getting it. Get it?

If you think just going to a specific DO school over another will open up many doors for you then you are mistaken. When you apply for agme you should be more worried about MD applicants not other DO applicants. Although I think most bias tends to be at the more competive programs. And essentially, we will not be applying for DO only residencies anymore. Going to a "better" DO school won't do THAT much for you. It may have some impact but the impact will be trivial. Ultimately, it's more you then anything else.

There is a difference between carib and DO, you are comparing apples and oranges. See im telling you this because you don't get it. You think you get it, but that's not actually the same thing as getting it. Get it?

Speaking from years of experience no doubt.

If you think just going to a specific DO school over another will open up many doors for you then you are mistaken. When you apply for agme you should be more worried about MD applicants not other DO applicants. Although I think most bias tends to be at the more competive programs. And essentially, we will not be applying for DO only residencies anymore. Going to a "better" DO school won't do THAT much for you. It may have some impact but the impact will be trivial. Ultimately, it's more you then anything else.

The match lists at Western U. and AZCOM in comparison to other schools like RVU or KYCOM suggests otherwise.

Speaking from years of experience no doubt.

The match lists at Western U. and AZCOM in comparison to other schools like RVU or KYCOM suggests otherwise.

the fact that you judge a school based upon match list means you have no idea what you're talking about.

What if 90% of a class decides they want to go into primary care and they match into FP, peds, etc? Does this mean the school is terrible?

the fact that you judge a school based upon match list means you have no idea what you're talking about.

So if we discount residency placements as a qualifying factor would Saint George U up there in your book also? If you match at the end, wherever that is, your still a 'doctor'.

So if we discount residency placements as a qualifying factor would Saint George U up there in your book also? If you match at the end, wherever that is, your still a 'doctor'.

SGU only matches like half of their class..DO schools most people tend to match..again apples and oranges.

What if 90% of a class decides they want to go into primary care and they match into FP, peds, etc? Does this mean the school is terrible?

What if Abraham Lincoln was actually a woman? You're side stepping the point about certain schools not being taken as seriously as others which shuts out certain opportunities. It's fine, I don't plan on being a neurosurgeon either but it's silly for someone to not be cognizant of the possibility that their application could be looked down upon because of where they went to school. It's just the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
What if Abraham Lincoln was actually a woman? You're side stepping the point about certain schools not being taken as seriously as others which shuts out certain opportunities. It's fine, I don't plan on being a neurosurgeon either but it's silly for someone to not be cognizant of the possibility that there application could be looked down upon because of where they went to school. It's just the nature of the beast.

You don't seem to understand that DO schools and SGU are in way different ballparks. If matchlist is a deciding factor for you, then get off SDN and never read anything on here again. DO schools the attrition rate is low: carib they can be 50% or more. Then you may have around 50% that even match.

So we digress. LMU vs RVU turned out to be RVU for OP. Congrats to him. Blah blah blah all your bickering (specifically colesmalls) has nothing to do with it, but good luck at ACOM.

You don't seem to understand that DO schools and SGU are in way different ballparks. If matchlist is a deciding factor for you, then get off SDN and never read anything on here again. DO schools the attrition rate is low: carib they can be 50% or more. Then you may have around 50% that even match.

Strong language.

I get the feeling that a lot of people choose schools on the basis of education quality and matching options but I've been wrong before. Predictably, that's one of the reasons I'm not going to the Caribbean.

So we digress. LMU vs RVU turned out to be RVU for OP. Congrats to him. Blah blah blah all your bickering (specifically colesmalls) has nothing to do with it, but good luck at ACOM.

I am trying to dismiss some of these ******ed myths. and I hate your avatar.

Strong language.

I get the feeling that a lot of people choose schools on the basis of education quality and matching options but I've been wrong before. Predictably, that's one of the reasons I'm not going to the Caribbean.

so match list tells you your matching options? lol

Anybody here attended both?

OP take everything above and below my post with a grain of salt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/grammar

here ya go...

New-York-Strip-Steak

Also, RVU...great location

I think I'll reserve my full retort to all of the above for another day (if at all, since I doubt anyone wants to read it) but let me at least make the following comment:

Choosing RVU because of it's location is completely nonsensical, especially considering how if you go to KCUMB you can chose to spend years 3 + 4 at RVU's hospital rotation affiliates anyway.

You can argue all day about how RVU is special and shouldn't be grouped with the rest of the for-profit medical schools out there, but here's the honest truth: residency directors don't sit at their desks with long lists of medical schools and quick admission statistics. When they think "RVU" they think "oh, that for profit school?" not "ohhh that for-profit school which is really kind of awesome actually because it was set up by Mr. Tien to address the severe physician shortage in this country and he's done a great job so far at setting up hospital rotations and the school is starting to show some real promise."

Don't be naive.

Who knows, maybe California Northstate University College of Medicine and Palm Beach Medical College and the several other up and coming for-profit schools, along with RVU, will strive ahead and set fantastic examples of for-profit MD/DO education in the States and things will change. Yet this is truly unpredictable and I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Last edited:
...here's the honest truth: residency directors don't sit at their desks with long lists of medical schools and quick admission statistics. When they think "RVU" they think "for profit" not -- I repeat, not -- "oh that for-profit school which is really kind of awesome actually because it was set up by Mr. Tien to address the severe physician shortage in this country and he's done a great job so far at setting up hospital rotations and the school is starting to show some real promise."...

Have you spoken to any residency directors about RVU or are you just speculating that all they see is "for profit"? Honestly curious, not trying to start an argument.

:thumbup:

After everything I've just said, I want to emphasize this post by abolt. I wish the OP all the best and hope he/she has a terrific education and future.

Have you spoken to any residency directors about RVU

I have not.

With that being said, I'm not -- as one poster above so politely phrased it -- "talking out of my ass" on this topic. There is a brilliant thread on these forums about RVU that I can dig up if necessary which provides great insights about its history and for-profit status/reputation, and the residency comments I made above were derived from that thread.

:thumbup:

After everything I've just said, I want to emphasize this post by abolt. I wish the OP all the best and hope he/she has a terrific education and future.

I agree here, although RVU wouldnt be my first choice, you would be crazy to think I wouldnt go there if the situation called for it. All the best OP

All other schools >>>>>>>>>>> Caribbean Schools ≥ RVU