Loan for Students on H4 Visa.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocdentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a couple of questions for students on H4 visa.anybody who knows the answers kindly share the information....

1)do we have to convert from H4 to F1 visa to get a private loan?
2)Do we need to get loan for entire 2 years upfront or it is on a yearly basis?
3)can we have more than 1 cosigner for the private loan?
4)has anybody ever got loan from india?if so what is the process?

I would really really appreciate any information.

thnx

Members don't see this ad.

Somebody please guide.

ocdentist said:
1)do we have to convert from H4 to F1 visa to get a private loan?
2)Do we need to get loan for entire 2 years upfront or it is on a yearly basis?
3)can we have more than 1 cosigner for the private loan?
4)has anybody ever got loan from india?if so what is the process?

To answer your questions:

1) Yes. You must convert from H4 to F1 just to be a student in the US. Otherwise, you've just broken the Homeland law.
2) You won't get a loan as a non-US resident. You must provide enough and sufficient funds to cover your entire 1st year at the institution in order to receive your I-20/SEVIS prior to entry to the US. Once in the US, you may apply for a loan only with a US-resident/citizen co-signer.
3) I'm sure you could.
4) Sorry, can't help you there. I'm not from India.

Good luck and don't forget to switch to F1 before you start your academic program.

Members don't see this ad :)
u can definitely study on h4.
unless ofcourse they have changed the rules recently.
the problem with tht is , h visa is only for 6 yrs, regardless of whether it is h4 or h1.
so if u do not get ur green card through ur spouse.... u wont have enough time on ur h1 after studying for 2 yrs on h4. so its better to convert to a students visa. but if u r near getting a green card in the near future, thn be careful whn u change ur status(u might have to consult some1 for tht...).

hope this helps.

does having more than 1 co-signer decrease the rate of interest? whts the advantage of having more than 1 cosigner. can some1 tell me tht?

BlueToothHunter said:
To answer your questions:

1) Yes. You must convert from H4 to F1 just to be a student in the US. Otherwise, you've just broken the Homeland law.
2) You won't get a loan as a non-US resident. You must provide enough and sufficient funds to cover your entire 1st year at the institution in order to receive your I-20/SEVIS prior to entry to the US. Once in the US, you may apply for a loan only with a US-resident/citizen co-signer.
3) I'm sure you could.
4) Sorry, can't help you there. I'm not from India.

Good luck and don't forget to switch to F1 before you start your academic program.
Hi,
i think u got confused and as Raj king said, u can study on H4 and As Ann said, u have to consider that 6 years of visa too.

U can take loan by keeping many cosigners too, and the interest rate depends on their credit history and score. if they have a excellent score,, u get for a less interest and if they have bad, u might need to pay a little more. By having two cosigners, ur interest may increase or decrease based on whether both have good scores or both have bad scores or one has a good score.
This is what i know and people might correct me if i was wrong.

can anyone suggest which company wud be good to apply for the loan ?

I stand open to correction.But earlier H visas were only for 6 years.Now you can extend it for one year at a time for as ong as you want provided you retain the job. So you might study on H4 without any problem.

isnt tht only if ur greencard is in process? thn u can keep renewing ur h1 indefintely till the labour is cleared or rejected.
pls give more info if u can