PhD/PsyD Loan Forgiveness while working in University Counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

freudianslipups

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm working in a university counseling center at a large state university in a rural area and am enrolled in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. This is going to help me pay off my federal loans but I have a few private loans from undergrad that did not qualify. I am looking to see if there are other programs I may qualify for that are good for private loans. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!
 
In a rural area, you could see if you qualify for NHSC loan repayment, which I believe can be used for private loans (assuming they were spent on qualified expenses, I think).

That's the only one that immediately springs to mind. NIH also offers loan repayment programs, but I believe those are for primary/entirely research positions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In a rural area, you could see if you qualify for NHSC loan repayment, which I believe can be used for private loans (assuming they were spent on qualified expenses, I think).

That's the only one that immediately springs to mind. NIH also offers loan repayment programs, but I believe those are for primary/entirely research positions.
NHSC requires that the funds go to eligible loans. I am not sure if that includes private loans or not since I didn't have any.