PhD/PsyD Loan Forgiveness while working in University Counseling

freudianslipups

Nov 23, 2013
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I'm working in a university counseling center at a large state university in a rural area and am enrolled in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. This is going to help me pay off my federal loans but I have a few private loans from undergrad that did not qualify. I am looking to see if there are other programs I may qualify for that are good for private loans. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

AcronymAllergy

Neuropsychologist
    Volunteer Staff
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Silver Member
  • Jan 7, 2010
    1. Psychologist
      In a rural area, you could see if you qualify for NHSC loan repayment, which I believe can be used for private loans (assuming they were spent on qualified expenses, I think).

That's the only one that immediately springs to mind. NIH also offers loan repayment programs, but I believe those are for primary/entirely research positions.

About the Ads

smalltownpsych

7+ Year Member
      Mar 24, 2014
      Rural Area Medical Facilty
      1. Psychologist
        In a rural area, you could see if you qualify for NHSC loan repayment, which I believe can be used for private loans (assuming they were spent on qualified expenses, I think).

That's the only one that immediately springs to mind. NIH also offers loan repayment programs, but I believe those are for primary/entirely research positions.
        NHSC requires that the funds go to eligible loans. I am not sure if that includes private loans or not since I didn't have any.

AcronymAllergy

Neuropsychologist
        Volunteer Staff
        10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Silver Member
      • Jan 7, 2010
        1. Psychologist
          NHSC requires that the funds go to eligible loans. I am not sure if that includes private loans or not since I didn't have any.

I think it does, so long as they were spent entirely on qualifying expenses. I'd have to double-check that, though.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.