PhD/PsyD Loan forgiveness with National Health Service Corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

procrastin8r

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings! I just accepted a postdoc at an approved National Health Service Corps site, which means I can be eligible for loan forgiveness programs. I've read through the application guidelines, and it looks like I have to be fully licensed (i.e., pass the EPPP and obtain an unrestricted license in the state I'm in) to be eligible. This is fine, as I can apply for loan forbearance during postdoc and (provided I am still happy to remain at that site) apply for NHSC loan forgiveness as a 2-year contract after licensure (i.e., postdoc in 2018-2019; 2-year contract in 2020-2022).

However, the open enrollment period for NHSC is in April every year. So, do I apply in April 2019, during postdoc, before I actually obtain licensure? Or, do I practice licensed for the better part of the year, hoping for further loan forbearance, and then apply for the 2-year contract in April 2020?

Members don't see this ad.

According to their site someone who is in residency with provisional licensure can apply so long as they are fully licensed by start of contract. Contract usually starts in June so if you are licensed by then you would be okay. If not till later you might have to wait till the next year.

According to their site someone who is in residency with provisional licensure can apply so long as they are fully licensed by start of contract. Contract usually starts in June so if you are licensed by then you would be okay. If not till later you might have to wait till the next year.
Thank you!! That's really helpful.