Loan or Balance Transfer?

Started by Spotinho
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Spotinho

Just trying to be useful...
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

So due to unforeseen circumstance our family has gone over our budget, and obviously since I have maxed out on loans (incl. grad plus) we won't get a penny more from federal loans. The amount I am looking to borrow was $1k. I was thinking about getting a private student loan from a bank or credit union but then someone mentioned to me to pay my credit card with another credit card. I looked into it and what appears to be possible is transferring the balance from my current credit card to a new one with 0% APR for the next 12-18 months, 3-5% balance transfer fee (so b/w $30-$50) and no annual fee; depending on which credit card I qualify to open. Has anyone had to do this before with either transferring balance or private student loan? Did you have any trouble qualifying for either? I haven't personally looked into the loan yet but the credit card option looks like a good one. Please let me know if you have any experience with these.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!
 
So I did some calling to private lenders (ex. Sallie Mae) and it definitely looks like the better option due to the deferment period. Anyone has any experience getting non-federal govt. loans? any recommendations or positive experience with an institution?