Loan or Balance Transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spotinho

Just trying to be useful...
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So due to unforeseen circumstance our family has gone over our budget, and obviously since I have maxed out on loans (incl. grad plus) we won't get a penny more from federal loans. The amount I am looking to borrow was $1k. I was thinking about getting a private student loan from a bank or credit union but then someone mentioned to me to pay my credit card with another credit card. I looked into it and what appears to be possible is transferring the balance from my current credit card to a new one with 0% APR for the next 12-18 months, 3-5% balance transfer fee (so b/w $30-$50) and no annual fee; depending on which credit card I qualify to open. Has anyone had to do this before with either transferring balance or private student loan? Did you have any trouble qualifying for either? I haven't personally looked into the loan yet but the credit card option looks like a good one. Please let me know if you have any experience with these.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

So I did some calling to private lenders (ex. Sallie Mae) and it definitely looks like the better option due to the deferment period. Anyone has any experience getting non-federal govt. loans? any recommendations or positive experience with an institution?