Lobster Podiatry Explained

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Isn't this true of literally every job ever? Who wants to make less money for harder work?
Hospitalists?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

imagine graduating pediatrics residency, then doing heme/onc or another fellowship so you can earn less money

Members don't see this ad :)

imagine graduating pediatrics residency, then doing heme/onc or another fellowship so you can earn less money
Lol list is more proof that podiatrists aren’t considered physicians

Reactions: 1 user
Lol list is more proof that podiatrists aren’t considered physicians
We get grouped in with dentists, pharm, opto in most lists I see. Even though we were required to do a full on inpatient residency with rotations, call, surgery, etc while those fields don’t. We are total suckers lol

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
We're the Bad News Bears or the Cutters in Breaking Away!

Too much before everyone else's time?
Yeah. I saw something about dazed and confused. The time frame from when it was shot and took place is the equivalent of it taking place in 2008 today.

Honestly the more I do the more i like lobster work. General surgeons are amazed I catch vascular pathology in their wounds, PCPs never diagnose gout right, and wound care is happy I finally get some wound to close by doing surgery or advanced wound care products with real serial debridements. These are my bread and butter referrals that make me indispensable in the community. Nothing sexy about it, but they all pay well enough and it's nice to be welcomed as a colleague once you fix a couple trouble patients they have. Makes that doctor lounge Oreo package taste that much sweeter 😋

Just embrace the niche. I have opportunities for triples or flat foot recons and I just refer them and focus on the stuff I see regularly. I've done enough surgery to realize it's no fun getting into a surgery where plans A, B, and C go awry and the rural hospital you're at doesn't stock anything for plans D-Z. I'll happily ride the pus bus to retirement haha

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Honestly the more I do the more i like lobster work. General surgeons are amazed I catch vascular pathology in their wounds, PCPs never diagnose gout right, and wound care is happy I finally get some wound to close by doing surgery or advanced wound care products with real serial debridements. These are my bread and butter referrals that make me indispensable in the community. Nothing sexy about it, but they all pay well enough and it's nice to be welcomed as a colleague once you fix a couple trouble patients they have. Makes that doctor lounge Oreo package taste that much sweeter 😋

Just embrace the niche. I have opportunities for triples or flat foot recons and I just refer them and focus on the stuff I see regularly. I've done enough surgery to realize it's no fun getting into a surgery where plans A, B, and C go awry and the rural hospital you're at doesn't stock anything for plans D-Z. I'll happily ride the pus bus to retirement haha
I agree 100%. My PCPs love me because I’ll see everyone they need foot wise and can refer to the right guy for recons etc. Vasc loves me because I feed them patient for angios and I’m the one who catches their need for vascular intervention. Derm loves me because they keep wondering why those IPKs aren’t responding to wart treatments.

It is a good niche. The reality is, no MD wants to deal with FEET. Anyone who has worked in a hospital setting knows how excited MDs get when they know you work with feet and can do it well as long as you don’t expect to be a trauma bro. Set the ego aside and learn your place.

The problem is 95% of the guys lecturing at our CMEs for rearfoot and trauma are part of the 1% who actually have the ability to make a living off of those privileges of being pure rearfoot/ankle trauma/recon guys. But for some reason our entire board certification process is based off of the ability that our lives will somehow be like that.

🤡

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

All of this.

Generally agree with the above. Lobstering can be fine and dandy. For me it's Q1 in private practice so I'm inmate 301628 in nail jail and I'm not so optimistic.

This goes along with our ROI discussions. Hear me out: shorten the DPM degree to 3 years, do a 1 year pus-bus internship, followed by optional 3 year fellowship in bunions and other ortho wannabe cases. If you're going to lobster, why should it take so many years to be licensed just to lobster?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Generally agree with the above. Lobstering can be fine and dandy. For me it's Q1 in private practice so I'm inmate 301628 in nail jail and I'm not so optimistic.

This goes along with our ROI discussions. Hear me out: shorten the DPM degree to 3 years, do a 1 year pus-bus internship, followed by optional 3 year fellowship in bunions and other ortho wannabe cases. If you're going to lobster, why should it take so many years to be licensed just to lobster?
Something has to separate you from the nail nurse.