Local Walgreens holdup

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdpharmd?

Turning lead into gold
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Print This Email This Most Popular Larger Type Smaller Type Subscribe to The Republic

Standoff ends with suspect fatally shooting self

Emily Bittner and David J. Cieslak
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 19, 2004 12:50 PM

Four hostages held at gunpoint inside a central Phoenix drugstore were free Thursday night after a standoff that forced a school to lock down and snarled rush-hour traffic, authorities said.

The hostages were not harmed during the two-hour standoff, which ended when the 45-year-old suspect, James Alan Parker, shot himself in the head, said Detective Tony Morales, a Phoenix police spokesman. Parker died later at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center.

Investigators believe that Parker shot himself while sitting near the store's pharmacy as the hostages huddled behind a nearby counter. Minutes earlier, the man was ingesting pills from the pharmacy and had apparently fired a shot at police through a store window, Morales said. No officers were injured. advertisement

According to court records, Parker has a Maricopa County conviction for possession of dangerous drugs. He was originally placed on probation, but he was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison on Aug. 28, 2001, after the court found that he had violated the terms of his probation. DOC records show that he was released from custody on July 23, 2003.

Parker also has a Pinal County conviction for possession of drug paraphernalia. He served a prison term for this violation at the same time as the Maricopa County crime.

The hostage incident Thursday began at 3:30 p.m. with a botched robbery inside a crowded Walgreens store at Seventh Street and Camelback Road. Employees and customers bolted through the store's front door as the robbery began to unfold.

Deborah Eastman, who was inside the Walgreens when the standoff started, said instincts took over as she realized the store was being overtaken.

Eastman, who owns an insurance company, simply expected to run into the pharmacy and pick up the car keys she left on a counter.

Instead, she urged 14 others inside the store to flee after one of the pharmacists warned her to get out.

At first, as she stood at the pharmacy counter, Eastman didn't understand what she was witnessing.

She saw a pharmacist standing with his back to her facing a rack of medicine. She said the gunman, described as a thin man dressed in raggedy clothes, was standing next to him, also with his back to Eastman.

"I could hear the man who was holding them hostage say, 'I just want something for the pain,' " Eastman said.

Eastman didn't see the man's gun, but she said it appeared he was holding one against the pharmacist's back.

A female assistant and another pharmacist also were trapped behind the counter.

The pharmacist mouthed to her, "Get away," she said.

That's when Eastman put it all together.

She ran to the front of the store to tell cashiers that the pharmacists were being taken hostage.

"When it was happening, I just knew I had to alert them and get out myself," she said.

About six customers were waiting in line and an additional eight employees were still in the store, she said.

Everyone except the four hostages managed to escape.

A 19-year-old male employee who was initially trapped inside the Walgreens walked out the front door about an hour after the standoff began. It remained unclear late Thursday whether the gunman freed the employee or if he managed to escape.

Lanae Muldrow, manager of a Chevron gas station across the street from the Walgreens, said she watched through the windows as the gunman ran through the drugstore and dove to the ground at one point. Muldrow said she was overjoyed when the remaining three hostages calmly walked out of the store.

"It was such a relief," she said. "Thank God they got out."

The hostages declined to comment when contacted outside the store.

Negotiators from the Phoenix police Special Assignments Unit, the city's equivalent of a SWAT team, were in contact with the gunman on and off throughout the incident, Morales said.

Xavier College Preparatory, just south of the Walgreens, was put on lockdown. Some students remained inside the school, although class already had been let out.

Police shut down Seventh Street and Camelback during the standoff, hampering rush-hour traffic and leaving motorists to seek other routes through the neighborhood.

Reporter Pat Kossan contributed to this article.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not have wanted to hang out in that part of town before this ordeal anyway. It's not exactly million dollar homes there.

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureRxGal said:
Another reason why I refuse to do retail (though I'm aware it could happen anywhere...).

South Arlington Medical Center in Arlington Texas has a silent alarm and a phone inside their narcotic room. That was where the bad guys locked the
staff while they were looking at what they got. The shift supervisor came beating on the front door in response to complaints that pharmacy wasn't answering their phone. She was persistant - nurses always are. She finally got on the bad guys nerves so they let her in and locked her up too. The alarm and phone came later...

Presbyterian in Ft Worth has a bullet gouge in their narc vault from shots fired by a security guard at a bad guy during a holdup.

I dunno what it is about narc vaults and closets, but you might want to have
a good look at yours when you get the chance cause that is where they will put you when the bad guys want to leave. Perhaps you might consider leaving a pillow, some munchies, and something to read while you await rescue....might as well be comfortable. :D

You have narc vaults and closets? I've never had more than some pull out drawers or a small cabinet.

GravyRPH said:
You have narc vaults and closets? I've never had more than some pull out drawers or a small cabinet.
No vault? Where do you put the narcotic mini-fridge? :laugh:

baggywrinkle said:
Presbyterian in Ft Worth has a bullet gouge in their narc vault from shots fired by a security guard at a bad guy during a holdup.
What gets me is when places put in bulletproof glass, but fail to bulletproof the walls. I worked in a box like that once. The way the place was rigged, you would have to jump up on the counter to be shielded in case of a shooting. A few weeks before I started there, they had a guy come in claiming he had a bomb strapped under his coat and asking for narcs. An hour and a half later, he was arrested a few blocks away. His "bomb" turned out to be a bunch of toilet paper rolls and wires taped together under his coat.

bananaface said:
What gets me is when places put in bulletproof glass, but fail to bulletproof the walls. I worked in a box like that once. The way the place was rigged, you would have to jump up on the counter to be shielded in case of a shooting. A few weeks before I started there, they had a guy come in claiming he had a bomb strapped under his coat and asking for narcs. An hour and a half later, he was arrested a few blocks away. His "bomb" turned out to be a bunch of toilet paper rolls and wires taped together under his coat.

Someone beat through that bullet proof glass at my store several months ago
with a light sledge hammer. The glass is at least two inches thick and is made
of layers of glass sandwiched between polycarbonate. The glass guy said it would take a strong man 15 minutes of serious beating to get through it. The hole he made was only large enough for a child or a very tiny woman. They cut themselves going in or out. The alarm went off as soon as they touched the floor. There was blood glass and fingerprints everywhere. For their trouble they got very little scooping up prescriptions which were already filled and stored near the drive through. They never entered the main pharmacy area.