Locate how heavily each factor is weighed in application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Behold1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry that the title is awkwardly worded. Basically, I've seen people on here throw around numbers like "X factor is given a weight of 40% at school Y". All I've ever personally seen is the average GPA or GPA cutoff and maybe the average GRE for that school. I've never actually seen a university's website state that 'GRE scores are given this exact weight'. Could someone please tell me where one would find this for a school?

Members don't see this ad.

You probably won't find exact numbers. Cornell offers an admissions formula on their website, but they're the only one that I can think of that gives a specific weight to things.

Maybe a better question would be which schools weigh which things more? Which are more experience-oriented schools / which are more GPA/score oriented schools?

Sorry, not much help, I know.

Edit: here's Cornell's admissions formula, just for reference. Unaware of other schools that have this.
  • 25% - Overall GPA
  • 25% - GRE (verbal and quantitative) or MCAT
  • 5% - Quality of Academic Program
  • 20% - Animal/Veterinary/Biomedical Experience (supported with letters of evaluation)
  • 10% - Non-Cognitive Skills
  • 10% - All Other Achievements and Letters of Evaluation
  • 5% - Personal Statement

Unfortunately some schools aren't as easy to figure out. Those that use formulas or weight factors using percentages will usually make that fact clear somewhere on their admissions website (TAMU comes to mind), while others favor more of a holistic "we'll know who we want when we see them" type of process. If you can't find any information, consider contacting the schools and asking what sorts of qualities they typically look for in candidates/what sorts of factors are especially important to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Iowa also has an admissions formula available to the public:
35% Science GPA / Last 45 GPA (equally weighted)
15% GRE
5% Courseload
25% Admissions Committee Review (PS, LOR, etc.)
25% Interview (if offered)

Reactions: 1 user
Mizzou also has a formula. Cumulative GPA is 20%, last 3 semesters' GPA is 10%, average undergrad course load is 6%, GRE score is 4%, non-academic score (understanding of the profession, experiences, communication skills, leadership, extracurriculars, etc.) is 40%, and "overall impression" is 20%. It's on their website here: http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/evaluation.htm
I posted more about how they calculate your scores here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...es-remaining-questions.1189795/#post-17578663

Mizzou also has a formula. Cumulative GPA is 20%, last 3 semesters' GPA is 10%, average undergrad course load is 6%, GRE score is 4%, non-academic score (understanding of the profession, experiences, communication skills, leadership, extracurriculars, etc.) is 40%, and "overall impression" is 20%. It's on their website here: http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/evaluation.htm
I posted more about how they calculate your scores here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...es-remaining-questions.1189795/#post-17578663

Only 4% for GRE? dang

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

LSU also has their numbers listed, under 'Applicant Selection.' The breakdown is:

Required Course GPA - 29%
Last 45 Credit GPA - 18%
GRE - 18%
Folder Review (that's experiences, LORs, essays, course load, awards/honors, extracurriculars, etc.) - 15%
Interview - 10%

The remaining 10% is determined by the Adcom.

A very general one, but okstate is:

GPA + GRE = 70%
File score + Interview (if in state) = 30%

I feel like OK State is kind of snooty in terms of their admissions standards?? They won't take organic chem from community colleges (last time I checked), and every other school I've looked at does. 70% seems like a heck of a lot of weight to put on academics!!! I can't talk though, because I have a crap GPA and crap scores, lol.

I feel like OK State is kind of snooty in terms of their admissions standards?? They won't take organic chem from community colleges (last time I checked), and every other school I've looked at does. 70% seems like a heck of a lot of weight to put on academics!!! I can't talk though, because I have a crap GPA and crap scores, lol.
(I'm going to say this in the absolute nicest way about okstate as possible).

They're snooty because they can be. Last year they got 400 eligible OOS applicants (not counting the 238 ineligible applicants that were thrown out) for 30 spots. And I know that all vet schools are particular and uptight, but it's getting to the point that any vet school could say jump, and the majority of applicants would jump without considering why.

That being said, 70% is great for those with less experience. Whatever... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

They're snooty because they can be. Last year they got 400 eligible OOS applicants (not counting the 238 ineligible applicants that were thrown out) for 30 spots. And I know that all vet schools are particular and uptight, but it's getting to the point that any vet school could say jump, and the majority of applicants would jump without considering why.

Oh yeah, of course! I just think it's interesting :p

Not really snooty. If the numeical way of applicant evaluation isn't something that makes you a strong applicant (Ie, scores and percentages assigned to everything) it just isn't. Uppity and rigorous competition aren't the same thing.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Every school looks for something a little different. They want the best applicants available. For some schools, the GPA and GRE numbers matter more than experience. For other schools extracurriculars and experience make a better applicant.

It doesn't make any one school "snootier" than others to have their priorities different. Just may not be the right school for you to apply to.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know anything about UF? All I was told by admissions was that you have to make it past academic round (overall, last 45, science, quant, verabal) and then if you get to the interview they only care about experience and elors, etc.

UC Davis's evaluation is almost completely numerical until the interview.

Piggybacking on this - Davis doesn't give an exact formula (that I can find) but says their decision is almost entirely based on science GPA, last 45 units GPA, and GRE quantitative section scores. They have a minimum GPA and minimum number of hours of veterinary experience to be considered. They say they also take LORs into account, but it seems like numbers are what gets you to the interview stage. After MMI interviews they rank all of their interviewees by MMI score and make offers of admission based on that.

So, when looking at which vet schools to apply to should I take my GPA's/GRE and compare that to the average of admitted students to gauge if I should apply there or not? OK State, NC State, and Wisconsin were on my radar. My GPA is a 3.78 with my prerequisite/last 45 being pretty close to that. The average OOS for NC State was like a 3.82? Mine's close but 3.82 is pretty high IMO for an average. Other things.. I have 1600 vet hours (diagnostic lab, SA, LA, oncology specialty) 1700 animal (horses, cattle, swine, dog showing) and like only 200 research (gait analysis and a mouse project I'm helping with). Just trying to get a feel if applying to some of these schools is out of my range and a waste of money to apply to? Thanks

So, when looking at which vet schools to apply to should I take my GPA's/GRE and compare that to the average of admitted students to gauge if I should apply there or not? OK State, NC State, and Wisconsin were on my radar. My GPA is a 3.78 with my prerequisite/last 45 being pretty close to that. The average OOS for NC State was like a 3.82? Mine's close but 3.82 is pretty high IMO for an average. Other things.. I have 1600 vet hours (diagnostic lab, SA, LA, oncology specialty) 1700 animal (horses, cattle, swine, dog showing) and like only 200 research (gait analysis and a mouse project I'm helping with). Just trying to get a feel if applying to some of these schools is out of my range and a waste of money to apply to? Thanks
It's literally next to negligible. I would still apply if the rest of your app is solid.

Average GPA is much more of a guide than a rule.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking at average GPA of accepted students is a good idea, but yeah, a 0.04 difference isn't worth stressing over. It's an average, meaning half of the accepted students had GPAs below that. If your GPA is, say 0.5 below the average, then you might have more of an uphill battle.

Tennessee has a pretty detailed outline of how they judge applicants--you can find it here, and scroll down to selection procedure.

I have to second what's been said about Davis stressing GPA/GRE quant and PPI. I asked for feedback on my application, and they just sent me the statistics for the average GPA/GRE/PPI score for students who were accepted. They also don't really care how much experience you have, as long as you meet the minimum requirement.

Anyone know anything about UF? All I was told by admissions was that you have to make it past academic round (overall, last 45, science, quant, verabal) and then if you get to the interview they only care about experience and elors, etc.
It sounds like UF must have overhauled their admissions procedure since I applied (academic factors counted during the entire process), but they are big on equine and LA experience, perhaps moreso than the other schools I had in my pool. Also very big on diversity (think culture-wise), as they has us write an entire essay on what diversity we can bring to a class other than experience per the admissions office (I'm not sure this essay still exists, though).

When I interviewed, it was open file and my favorite interview out of the three I did that year. I don't think they discussed anything academic, but I didn't have any red flags in my academic history (that I'm aware of) either.

It sounds like UF must have overhauled their admissions procedure since I applied (academic factors counted during the entire process), but they are big on equine and LA experience, perhaps moreso than the other schools I had in my pool. Also very big on diversity (think culture-wise), as they has us write an entire essay on what diversity we can bring to a class other than experience per the admissions office (I'm not sure this essay still exists, though).

When I interviewed, it was open file and my favorite interview out of the three I did that year. I don't think they discussed anything academic, but I didn't have any red flags in my academic history (that I'm aware of) either.

They still have the diversity essay! I'm a little nervous about that essay, actually. I'm a minority and grew up with a single mom with a lot of financial struggles etc which I'm assuming is what I should talk about but it seems kind of awkward. lol

What made you decide against going to FL, if you don't mind me asking?

That being said, 70% is great for those with less experience. Whatever... I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I don't really see the point in complaining about the way that schools decide to structure their admissions procedure. They have found what works for them in terms of finding the students they want and producing the kind of vets they want to produce. If your stats don't fit well with their model then...just don't apply there. We should actually be happy that different schools weigh things differently, it allows us to find the schools that fit our stats best, which gives us a better shot than if all schools had the same formula.

Round both of those to a 3.8, and look at that, you're right on target for their average ;) I see no reason for you not to apply to NCSU, especially if the rest of your application is strong (which it seems to be).

Reactions: 3 users
I don't really see the point in complaining about the way that schools decide to structure their admissions procedure. They have found what works for them in terms of finding the students they want and producing the kind of vets they want to produce. If your stats don't fit well with their model then...just don't apply there. We should actually be happy that different schools weigh things differently, it allows us to find the schools that fit our stats best, which gives us a better shot than if all schools had the same formula.

I'm not complaining, I was just mentioning how they're all different, and that it's odd to me that they do specific requirements. I just accidentally got too sassy

So, when looking at which vet schools to apply to should I take my GPA's/GRE and compare that to the average of admitted students to gauge if I should apply there or not?

It's a great way to start. Tuition + cost of living also played a big role for me in narrowing down where to apply.

OK State, NC State, and Wisconsin were on my radar. My GPA is a 3.78 with my prerequisite/last 45 being pretty close to that. The average OOS for NC State was like a 3.82? Mine's close but 3.82 is pretty high IMO for an average. Other things.. I have 1600 vet hours (diagnostic lab, SA, LA, oncology specialty) 1700 animal (horses, cattle, swine, dog showing) and like only 200 research (gait analysis and a mouse project I'm helping with). Just trying to get a feel if applying to some of these schools is out of my range and a waste of money to apply to? Thanks

I'm with WZ -- without knowing your GRE scores, it does sound like your numbers are definitely competitive. Do keep in mind that NC State only takes ~20 OOS people a year, and ~670 OOS people applied this year (NCSU was one of the schools I applied to + was waitlisted at). However, they don't interview, so you at least don't have to worry about the cost of interview travel for that school. I don't think Wisconsin interviews either?

It's a great way to start. Tuition + cost of living also played a big role for me in narrowing down where to apply.

I'm with WZ -- without knowing your GRE scores, it does sound like your numbers are definitely competitive. Do keep in mind that NC State only takes ~20 OOS people a year, and ~670 OOS people applied this year (NCSU was one of the schools I applied to + was waitlisted at). However, they don't interview, so you at least don't have to worry about the cost of interview travel for that school. I don't think Wisconsin interviews either?
Wisconsin does not interview. They accept 20-30 OOS students and typically receive upwards of 1000 applications for OOS seats per their website.

I'm taking the GRE June 17.. Practicing now but I'm nervous. I'm not so good with standardized testing

@cdoconn yeah.. Didn't do so well but I've been improving with Kaplan. Just studying vocab and things then I'll move the transition to math this week probably

They still have the diversity essay! I'm a little nervous about that essay, actually. I'm a minority and grew up with a single mom with a lot of financial struggles etc which I'm assuming is what I should talk about but it seems kind of awkward. lol

What made you decide against going to FL, if you don't mind me asking?
It was my 'dream' school! I love UF! It ended up being a difference of $10-15k in tuition over four years (before interest, of course), and I weighed the emotional/financial costs of hauling my pets, buying numerous airline tickets around the holidays, boarding my pets, etc. To me it somewhat evened out when I considered those extra costs/tolls on my animals, so I chose Illinois. If I had no pets/boyfriend/family issues, I would have been very likely to attend UF. I was also called off the waitlist after I had already accepted my Illinois offer and signed a lease.

TL;DR: It made financial sense to me, but I still miss central Florida!

Dang, no idea how I got accepted here.
If you look at the avg GPA for the accepted though, it explains why that is weighted so heavily. Most OOS people who apply to OKstate are gonna be the mixed and equine focused with TX, AZ, and other neighbors mostly applying due to proximity.