location of residency=location of future practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echod

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What percentage of anesthesiologist stay within the general area where they did their residency? Is it hard to move to a different state or city if you didn't do a residency there?

Members don't see this ad.

I always suggest to students that they ask residents and attendings on interview days where their former residents have gone on to work and to what fellowships they have sent people.

Getting a job in the real world is all about connections.

All residency programs will have local connections. Some residency programs have a broader geographic base to which they send graduates. If you have no idea where you want to go or what you want to do, I suggest people strive to go to a program with a big reputation nationally and that sends people to jobs nationally. But if (for example) you know you will work the rest of your life in Arizona, it's probably in your best interest to do residency in Arizona.

I think that a lot of applicants are taken into residencies from the region they are from. For example: KU takes a lot of people who are Kansas residents or at least from neighboring states. Those same residency graduates are also likely to stay in the area after they graduate. I guess I go completely against that though as I moved halfway across the country from the West coast and will likely be going back after residency.

I think a lot of people going to huge res programs in big cities are probably more likely to fan out a little after graduating.

Another factor is family. If you already have kids in elementary school, in 4 years they'll be in middle/high school. Much harder to relocate. That keeps some residency grads in the local job market after graduating.

First and foremost - pick the best program.