This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biodude

The Biology DUDE
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured since everyone began talking left and right about how good this school is or where that school is, I was wondering how big of a factor location plays in your decision to apply to a specific school (or how much of a factor it was when you were applying, for current Osteo students).

I looked at so many threads here ever since I joined SDN in 2002, and the message that I've been getting is that you're still going to be a doctor whether you graduate from Harvard Med or from a "podunk," lesser-known (allo or osteo) med school in the U.S. You'd still have to work hard to secure that residency no matter which one you go to anyway, right?

With this in mind, location has pretty much become my number one factor with regards to which schools I am going to apply to, and also the order in which I end up ranking my favorites...at least until after I go to interviews. But then again, I have my exceptions. KCOM for one.

I was just wondering because a lot of the schools in places that I would like to live in tend to be newer and not nearly as prestigious as some of the more well-established ones.

Sorry if I end up sounding stupid here.

Members don't see this ad.

Biodude said:
I figured since everyone began talking left and right about how good this school is or where that school is, I was wondering how big of a factor location plays in your decision to apply to a specific school (or how much of a factor it was when you were applying, for current Osteo students).

I looked at so many threads here ever since I joined SDN in 2002, and the message that I've been getting is that you're still going to be a doctor whether you graduate from Harvard Med or from a "podunk," lesser-known (allo or osteo) med school in the U.S. You'd still have to work hard to secure that residency no matter which one you go to anyway, right?

With this in mind, location has pretty much become my number one factor with regards to which schools I am going to apply to, and also the order in which I end up ranking my favorites...at least until after I go to interviews. But then again, I have my exceptions. KCOM for one.

I was just wondering because a lot of the schools in places that I would like to live in tend to be newer and not nearly as prestigious as some of the more well-established ones.

location did not only determine where I went to medical school but it will also effect where I do my residency.

In the end I always suggest making a pro con list and making sure you can handle the area for 3 or so years. usually the 4th year is all electives.

Location was my number two factor; the price tag was number one. For me location also included location of clinical sites and their distance from the school. I did apply to VCOM and LECOM-FL even though they are newer and gave them a chance. I was very impressed with VCOM and was accepted there but I would be lying if I said the fact that the school is newer and had no information about the clinical years didn't influence my decision to not go there. My factors for choosing a medical school were:
Tuition and living expenses
Location and distance from my family: clinical education, sites and exposure to different populations, and their distance from the school
Class size
Curriculum structure, exam frequency/structure, and rules (dress codes and attendance in all classes is annoying but bearable never the less this factored in for me)
Anatomy program (I am interested in surgery)
International medicine opportunities

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Biodude said:

I think ultimately when you become a fourth year medical student, the two most important thing will be:

1. can i match into a certain specialty?

2. can i get a residency spot at certain program in that certain specialty?

Yes, you are right everyone who go to any medical school will become a doctor and will have to work hard to get a residency spot somewhere, but depending on what specialty you wanna go into and where, some people will have to work harder than others. If you look at match lists at some of the better medical schools, you will notice they match into very competitive specialties at competitive residency programs. Other lesser regarded medical school's match lists will not compare to top medical schools. My point is that the medical school you go to will influence how you match. Its by no accident that Harvards, Hopkins, Yale, etc, etc match lists are awesome.

I noticed that you are from Garden Grove, California. S. Cali is a competitive area...

Therefore i would just like to suggest that you not disregard where you go to medical school because all medical schools will not be all the same when it comes to match time.

Location was a huge thing for me. I think my number 1 was probably the clinical years, and the fact that I didn't want to have to move around a lot during them if possible. That being said, I specifically dislike the cold and was more interested in warm climate schools from the beginning.

In Jan, I will think of everyone living in Kirksville's below freezing winter while its 70 degrees in Fl. :)

location is my numero uno :) but then i'm a-ok with FP :)

kaikai128 said:
In Jan, I will think of everyone living in Kirksville's below freezing winter while its 70 degrees in Fl. :)

Thats fine, because Id pick Chicago over busted-ass-old-people-overrated Florida anyday ;)

Thanks for the responses, and for the person who said that Southern CA is a competitive area...well, I've lived in Southern CA my whole life (almost 21 years now, 18-19 in Garden Grove). A lot of my choices are going to be out-of-state or in Northern CA (I like the people up there).

Buckeye(OH) said:
Thats fine, because Id pick Chicago over busted-ass-old-people-overrated Florida anyday ;)
You can have it...brr. I become miserable at about 50 degrees and don't get comfortable again until summer. I seriously think I should have been born in Arizona or Florida. My three weeks of winter break back to the good ole midwest will be more than enough winter for me!

...and yes...I will be the one person in class in FL shivering most days bc they have the ac cranked down entirely too low for my liking.

kaikai128 said:
...and yes...I will be the one person in class in FL shivering most days bc they have the ac cranked down entirely too low for my liking.

oh hell yea, im freezen like everyday. better than no ac i guess.

Wherever you go in the US, as long as you are happy - it will be a good choice. most residencies will screen for youe board score and if you are AOA. Number one factor is board score then interview assessment.
Most med schools in the US use the same books, so its really what you put into it. Good luck.

the advice I got before med school:
Pick the cheapest US school where you can be happy.

Its been great advice. Im a competitive applicant to surgical subspecialties and spent the last 3 years a walk from a US beach in a great climate.

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
I'm not picky. I'll happily go to whichever school accepts me; I'm not anticipating multiple acceptances.

Same here...well, at least with the "whichever school accepts me" part. I'm also not expecting more than one acceptance for when I apply :D

Good luck with your next round of applications, dude :thumbup:

Location was very important to me- I wanted to go to a school that would allow me to do my rotations in Pittsburgh. Bradenton (LECOM) has that to offer, and though new, all the students seem happy, and PBL sounds like the way to go for me. I also agree with Nate, lower tuition is also a BIG plus. And I love the ocean (not that I'll see much of it)

If you're lucky, you'll have a choice. I only applied to a few schools and got my 1st choice, but that was crazy. If I went through the whole app thing again I'd apply to more schools just to keep my sanity. Good luck!

MHC said:
Location was very important to me- I wanted to go to a school that would allow me to do my rotations in Pittsburgh. Bradenton (LECOM) has that to offer, and though new, all the students seem happy, and PBL sounds like the way to go for me. I also agree with Nate, lower tuition is also a BIG plus. And I love the ocean (not that I'll see much of it)
QUOTE]

Location was definitely a big factor for me as well. I am an ethnic food addict, so I need a big city like Chicago!

Location and Learning Environment are my key factors.

I like UNE... Location is great... BLUE STATE hehehe. Beautiful surrounding.

Learning Environment... UNE has a great support system in place. Not everything about competition. More co-operation and sharing of info among Students. For that reason they have a proven record of good to great residency match each year.
HERE IS A BONUS: I got the feeling that UNECOM doesn't ram Osteopathy is GOD to their students. But that was my impression.

Side Note: Someone on the other thread said that UNECOM has the lowest GPA and thus the worst school. Hmmmm I did not want to comment to childish things... UNECOM doesn't inflate their grades for Stats and doesn't really care what others think. They must be doing something right.

Buckeye(OH) said:

Wise words spoken by someone who has never been to southeast florida, gotta love it :D .

Have fun with all those blizzards :laugh: !

Location = very important factor for me; if you want a super competitive specialty, you should look into other factors over location.

LADO said:
Location = very important factor for me; if you want a super competitive specialty, you should look into other factors over location.

Well, then that's good for me, because I'm interested in Family Practice, Pediatrics, and Physiatry. Those aren't very competitive, for now, anyway. :D

Location was my number one factor. I have a family, my wife is a teacher and loves her school. My son has friends in our neighborhood. There is a DO school I like that is a 45 minute commute. I think getting through school will be difficult enough financially and put quite a bit of pressure on my family, moving them away from what they love would probably be too much.

Funkdoctor said:
Wise words spoken by someone who has never been to southeast florida, gotta love it :D .

Uh, Ive been to SE Florida.

Funkdoctor said:

Have fun with the hurricanes :laugh: