Locations for Med School and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PDXSki

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm posting this in the right area, forgive me as I'm new to this site.

For those of you who are residents/doctors now, how difficult is it to get a residency in a location of your choice? I'm familiar with how the match works but am wondering how hard it is to get a spot where you want to be. I'm mainly thinking about this because my fiance and I have roots here in Oregon and I'd like to be able to stay. I'm interested in emergency medicine or internal medicine (hospitalist).

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who are residents/doctors now, how difficult is it to get a residency in a location of your choice? I'm familiar with how the match works but am wondering how hard it is to get a spot where you want to be. I'm mainly thinking about this because my fiance and I have roots here in Oregon and I'd like to be able to stay. I'm interested in emergency medicine or internal medicine (hospitalist).

This varies greatly from specialty to specialty (i.e. family medicine will be easier to match into than neurosurgery in almost any location). The next thing to look at is the location in general, while there are people for all locations, some areas tend to be more popular than others (Denver, Cali, Florida, New England, and of course,.. the northwest).

I can tell you right now that Oregon is very competitive for Emergency Medicine, possibly the most competitive, definitely top 10. There are three main reasons for this (and my last reason applies to any specialty). First, OHSU has a great EM program. Second, it is the only EM program that serves the US northwest (only non-military program for 6+ states). Third, the northwest has an environment / atmosphere that is coveted by many. Plus, I am sure there are many more reasons that I cannot think of right now.

With all that being said, having roots in an area does factor into the match process, but again, this is very dependent of specialty type. The more competitive the specialty, the more willing you have to be to go wherever they’ll take you.

I didn't think this thread would attract much attention being here, but that's solid info. Thank you for slumming it a bit down in pre-allo, TN.

This varies greatly from specialty to specialty (i.e. family medicine will be easier to match into than neurosurgery in almost any location). The next thing to look at is the location in general, while there are people for all locations, some areas tend to be more popular than others (Denver, Cali, Florida, New England, and of course,.. the northwest).

I can tell you right now that Oregon is very competitive for Emergency Medicine, possibly the most competitive, definitely top 10. There are three main reasons for this (and my last reason applies to any specialty). First, OHSU has a great EM program. Second, it is the only EM program that serves the US northwest (only non-military program for 6+ states). Third, the northwest has an environment / atmosphere that is coveted by many. Plus, I am sure there are many more reasons that I cannot think of right now.

With all that being said, having roots in an area does factor into the match process, but again, this is very dependent of specialty type. The more competitive the specialty, the more willing you have to be to go wherever they’ll take you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't think this thread would attract much attention being here, but that's solid info. Thank you for slumming it a bit down in pre-allo, TN.

too funny.
I have an easy, low time commitment rotation this month.

The number of ACGME ("MD") residency spots in Oregon, and to whom they go, can be found on the NRMP site in historical data. 2010 is here: http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsbystate2010.pdf
- EM residency spots: 9
- IM residency spots: 65

The number of AOA ("DO") residency spots can be found here: http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/. If you're not aware of it, there's a new DO school in Lebanon; its home campus (Western) has had a NW track for a long time so there are established sites already. There's also a newish DO school in Yakima. It's fairly safe to assume that there will be more OR/WA DO residency spots in IM and possibly in EM in the next few years.

You'll want to make yourself known and loved by the programs you're interested in. In order of importance, imho:
1. 4th year "audition" rotation or subI (1st item on your 4th yr schedule)
2. 3rd year rotations
3. shadowing in 1st/2nd year

If you don't get into OHSU, then the only one you can do is a 4th year elective (which I would assume is how a DO and a US IMG got 2 of those 9 EM spots).

Best of luck to you.

IM isn't as hard to match.

It all depends on how good of an applicant you are. Clerkship grades, Step 1, grade in the rotation you applied for, interviewing skills, LORs, M1/M2 grades, etc.

I think you are a bit early on this if you aren't in medical school yet. Obviously you can match in your city of choice if you have an outstanding app in every way, but you may want to be flexible (specialty-wise) if you have to stay in one city.

I would focus on gaining admission to medical school and if you have that, then doing really well in the first 3.5 years of school.

In order of importance, imho:
1. 4th year "audition" rotation or subI (1st item on your 4th yr schedule)
2. 3rd year rotations
3. shadowing in 1st/2nd year

Best of luck to you.

Plus much much more (if you want to actually be a resident), Lol.

Plus much much more (if you want to actually be a resident), Lol.
I'm just thinking in terms of variables that are available at OHSU for OHSU students, which are not available if you're not at OHSU. Presumably you're referring to the to-us-obvious grades/scores/letters/research/essays/PD-schmoozing/etc as being what actually is important.

I should note that I watched a couple sweat it out with trying to stay in city X. She got into city X's med school (yay). Then he got into city X's nursing school (yay). Then the really hard part, she got into residency in city X (holy cow yay). They were EXTREMELY stressed out with worry that these events wouldn't occur, and had begrudgingly put together contingency plans. They've said that in retrospect they wish they hadn't spent so much time stressing out about it, regardless of whether they'd had their desirable outcomes.

I'm just thinking in terms of variables that are available at OHSU for OHSU students, which are not available if you're not at OHSU. Presumably you're referring to the to-us-obvious grades/scores/letters/research/essays/PD-schmoozing/etc as being what actually is important.

I should note that I watched a couple sweat it out with trying to stay in city X. She got into city X's med school (yay). Then he got into city X's nursing school (yay). Then the really hard part, she got into residency in city X (holy cow yay). They were EXTREMELY stressed out with worry that these events wouldn't occur, and had begrudgingly put together contingency plans. They've said that in retrospect they wish they hadn't spent so much time stressing out about it, regardless of whether they'd had their desirable outcomes.

Yeah, that is what I was getting at. Basically there are a dozen or so things to focus on. If you are excellent in these areas, you should be fine. The problem is, you need to be attending the school first, then focus on those tasks. You will have your pick of cities if you are open to IM/EM and have an amazing application + interview.

Thanks everyone, this is helpful information. I know of course I need to get into med school first, I'm just thinking about the whole picture a lot ahead of time. Maybe putting the cart before the horse. A friend of mine got into the only med school she applied to (UKY) and wound up getting a residency in her choice location too, I guess I posted this because I'm wondering if she's an outlier or if that's not uncommon. She and I have comparable grades, experiences, and masters degrees so I'm just trying to get a feel before taking the plunge. Anyway...thanks!

Thanks everyone, this is helpful information. I know of course I need to get into med school first, I'm just thinking about the whole picture a lot ahead of time. Maybe putting the cart before the horse. A friend of mine got into the only med school she applied to (UKY) and wound up getting a residency in her choice location too, I guess I posted this because I'm wondering if she's an outlier or if that's not uncommon. She and I have comparable grades, experiences, and masters degrees so I'm just trying to get a feel before taking the plunge. Anyway...thanks!

we have roots in boston and i feel the same way as you - i would like to be able to attend medical school here as well as complete my residency. i havent applied to school yet, but it has been on my mind as well.

good luck to you! :luck:

In the overall scheme of things you cannot count on staying in one place for med school and residency - it's very very difficult. EM residency is ONLY 3 yrs long, it goes by super fast. Once you are out of residency move back to Oregon and get your job set. THere are tons of job for physicians in the Pacific Northwest so getting employment should be easy.