Locum Tenens in Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtrack22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always hoped that I could provide valuable information on these forums. Both for active members and the lurkers. So here's another thread that current students and residents (maybe even young associates unhappy with their current gig) may find interesting or beneficial...

Since locums is not popular within our profession, largely due to a lack of hospital/MSG type positions when compared to MD/DO specialties, I'll save you from googling. Locum tenens is a position in which a physician temporarily fulfills the duties of another. That may be due to a leave of absence (ie maternity) by a current provider, and probably more commonly when a hospital or MSG is looking to continue a service line while short staffed and looking for a permanent hire. So far, my experience is that within podiatry the latter is more common and they are usually in less than desirable locations. Which is the reason finding a permanent hire ends up taking them so long. These positions can range anywhere from 1-2 months of coverage to indefinite positions where they are willing to have you until you piss them off or until they find a permanent hire. In the MD/DO world, it is not uncommon to be able to work 1-2 weeks at a time as you split coverage with another physician. Good luck doing this as a podiatrist, because that would require multiple DPMs being interested in providing locums coverage. I haven't found that to be the case. However, if more folks were willing to do it then that could change. That means within our profession, you are most likely going to have to commit to "full time" availability. All of the locums companies will fly you back "home" on the weekends at least several times per month, if not every weekend. And you can typically have your family come with you to the locums location while you complete the assignment.

You may see these locums positions listed on job boards, or if you signed up at any of these sites then you may get random emails about locums openings. But if you are actually interested then it is best to contact some of the larger locum tenens companies and have them start reaching out to their current contacts on your behalf. This goes back to these positions appearing to be few and far between within our profession. Part of that reason is that these companies, who have no podiatrists who are interested, will get requests from hospitals or large medical groups and then never bother to open them since advertising costs money and they feel that they have such a low chance of success in filling the job that it isn't worth their time or money. When the companies have your info/CV/availability/wants/etc. then you will find that there are pretty consistent opportunities. This is important because locum tenens is probably a bigger gamble for podiatrists compared to a hospitalist, for example. You are signing up for a temporary job...what do you do when its over? You could be in a lot of trouble if there is only 1-2 podiatry positions a year and you don't have anything permanent lined up in the near future. A hospitalist or general surgeon has 20 open positions to choose from at any given time. It's not really a gamble for them at all.

So why do locums? Or maybe, who would even consider it? It could be beneficial to have a locums company looking out for you if you are at the end of your 3rd year and still don't have a worthwhile job lined up. Individuals who are not getting paid well (basically most associates in a podiatry practice) and have a better permanent opportunity in the coming 6,8,12 months could consider a locums gig in between just to make some actual money. Single folks who don't care too much about settling down in one location at the moment, or maybe adventurous young families who are interested in traveling around the country for a bit. There may even be folks who find 2-3 months of work and then having 3 months off is more appealing that part time work in a single location. Someone planning on starting their own practice after residency could also use locums to bring in money while they work on everything it takes to open your doors.

That brings me to pay. I fall in the category of bad pay currently with an upcoming permanent gig. I will be doing a 3 month (could be longer if the hospital or I want to extend it) locums gig, doing foot and ankle surgery within the ortho department of a hospital system. It has been stated that there will be surgical cases similar to if you were joining the ortho group full time. It pays $1500 per day. So in 3 months worth of work, I will be paid $90,000 (all locums is 1099 so take employer payroll taxes into account since you will be paying them). That's damn near my base salary for the whole year at my current job. I can then not work for 5-6 months leading up to the new job if I don't want to. Average pay for a locums podiatrist is around $120 per hour, so you can expect $1000+ per day pretty easily in most cases. The pay is part of the reason that locum tenens positions aren't as popular for podiatrists. A majority of our profession is in private practice (or podiatry groups). They either can't afford to pay someone what it would take for them to come cover, or they are too cheap to do so. Just look at the contracts being offered to new grads by other podiatrists, and then consider that on the low end of these locums positions you are getting paid around $1000 per day. And your travel is paid for. And your housing is paid for. And your rental car is paid for...and those things fall on the employer who is hiring the locums doc.

That seems like a good start. As time goes on I will update the thread. Ask any questions you may have, though until I'm a month or so in I may not have great answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I never understood why people would do locums in podiatry ... the deal you are getting is great for sure but not from the ones ive seen posted they area pretty much pod associate money for shot term coverage.. good luck !

I never understood why people would do locums in podiatry ... the deal you are getting is great for sure but not from the ones ive seen posted they area pretty much pod associate money for shot term coverage.. good luck !

None of the 3-4 I reviewed or discussed with locums agencies were working in a private practice podiatrists office or a podiatry group office. All of them were Ortho/MSG groups contracted with a hospital network or direct hospital employment type clinics. The lowest pay was $100 per hour and $150 per hour for overtime, with overtime considered anything more than 8 hours worked in a day. None of them had call requirements.

I’m also hesitant to believe anyone who makes claims like the above unless they’ve actually gotten involved with a locums agency. Locums companies do not advertise specific locations and they do not give any significant details in regards to the type of practice, pay, etc. They are middle men and cannot afford to either tip off other agencies as to who it may be they are trying to fill for, or have you go around them and work directly with the employer. Pay has never been discussed until after they have “presented” the physician (in this case me) to the facility.

Now you may have seen these listings many years ago, as podiatrists used to think that they could hire locums docs just like everyone else. Or I guess it could have been an ad made directly by a podiatrist (which yeah, is likely to be awful, just like their associate contracts). What both the podiatry clinics and the locums companies seem to have realized is that podiatrists, in general, are unwilling to pony up. They weren’t willing to pay what it would take to draw someone away from their current gig, or what it would take to have a market for podiatrists who do locums as a career (not uncommon in the MD/DO world now a days). Two of the locums companies I spoke with no longer seek out podiatry groups/private practices and will turn down requests to find locums docs for those types of practices when asked.

While I won’t be looking for a third locums gig, I may consider a second. And now that I’ve given my info to these companies I’ll be notified when they have a potential job. It will be interesting to see how realistic it would be to do locums for any extended period of time. I don’t know the answer to that yet. I negotiated my deal based on the expectation that I won’t get another one before starting my permanent job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now you may have seen these listings many years ago, as podiatrists used to think that they could hire locums docs just like everyone else. Or I guess it could have been an ad made directly by a podiatrist (which yeah, is likely to be awful, just like their associate contracts). What both the podiatry clinics and the locums companies seem to have realized is that podiatrists, in general, are unwilling to pony up.

LOL yes that is where i saw a few advertised .. never through hospital based etc..

The lowest pay was $100 per hour and $150 per hour for overtime, with overtime considered anything more than 8 hours worked in a day. None of them had call requirements

Which geographic regions do you target? / where is your next gig going to be if you don't mind sharing ? Here in the TRISTATE area, where I am, all these kinds of deals you all discuss on the forum are unheard of .

Here in the TRISTATE area, where I am, all these kinds of deals you all discuss on the forum are unheard of .

that's because that region is a cesspool for podiatry jobs. Though if you go south there are good gigs to be had starting in Maryland.

These particular locums positions, as I previously mentioned, are primarily more rural or less desirable areas. That's the reason they either can't find a permanent hire, or why it often times takes so long. One of them in GA really wanted a foot and ankle ortho but essentially gave up looking and the director/administrator had good experiences in Pittsburgh with podiatry and therefore convinced the group to expand the search. Again, these are hospital or MSG type jobs where base pay for ortho might be $500-600k and podiatry $250-300k. They don't pay any benefits to the locums doc so they save a fair amount of money (though some of that goes to the locums agency for filling the position). It makes sense that they can afford $30k per month. They would easily pay that out in salary, signing bonus, credentialing, malpractice, health and retirement benefits, etc. And keeping their scanners busy and ORs full, brings in more than enough revenue to justify your cost. A private practice doc just can't afford to do that.

So far the ones I've been presented are in the southeast, south, midwest, and rocky mountain west. There are some good jobs for podiatrists in the northeast, but they are even fewer and farther between when compared to the rest of the country. If you could manage to build an NYC cash bunion practice or maybe regenerative medicine clinic doing a few $5000k cash stem cell injections a week, it would be worth it. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother looking in that direction for employment.

This may be an utter disaster. But you all will get a chance to learn those lessons right along with me...without the risk! And at least it will be a temporary or short lived disaster if that ends up being the case.

I've always hoped that I could provide valuable information on these forums. Both for active members and the lurkers. So here's another thread that current students and residents (maybe even young associates unhappy with their current gig) may find interesting or beneficial...

Since locums is not popular within our profession, largely due to a lack of hospital/MSG type positions when compared to MD/DO specialties, I'll save you from googling. Locum tenens is a position in which a physician temporarily fulfills the duties of another. That may be due to a leave of absence (ie maternity) by a current provider, and probably more commonly when a hospital or MSG is looking to continue a service line while short staffed and looking for a permanent hire. So far, my experience is that within podiatry the latter is more common and they are usually in less than desirable locations. Which is the reason finding a permanent hire ends up taking them so long. These positions can range anywhere from 1-2 months of coverage to indefinite positions where they are willing to have you until you piss them off or until they find a permanent hire. In the MD/DO world, it is not uncommon to be able to work 1-2 weeks at a time as you split coverage with another physician. Good luck doing this as a podiatrist, because that would require multiple DPMs being interested in providing locums coverage. I haven't found that to be the case. However, if more folks were willing to do it then that could change. That means within our profession, you are most likely going to have to commit to "full time" availability. All of the locums companies will fly you back "home" on the weekends at least several times per month, if not every weekend. And you can typically have your family come with you to the locums location while you complete the assignment.

You may see these locums positions listed on job boards, or if you signed up at any of these sites then you may get random emails about locums openings. But if you are actually interested then it is best to contact some of the larger locum tenens companies and have them start reaching out to their current contacts on your behalf. This goes back to these positions appearing to be few and far between within our profession. Part of that reason is that these companies, who have no podiatrists who are interested, will get requests from hospitals or large medical groups and then never bother to open them since advertising costs money and they feel that they have such a low chance of success in filling the job that it isn't worth their time or money. When the companies have your info/CV/availability/wants/etc. then you will find that there are pretty consistent opportunities. This is important because locum tenens is probably a bigger gamble for podiatrists compared to a hospitalist, for example. You are signing up for a temporary job...what do you do when its over? You could be in a lot of trouble if there is only 1-2 podiatry positions a year and you don't have anything permanent lined up in the near future. A hospitalist or general surgeon has 20 open positions to choose from at any given time. It's not really a gamble for them at all.

So why do locums? Or maybe, who would even consider it? It could be beneficial to have a locums company looking out for you if you are at the end of your 3rd year and still don't have a worthwhile job lined up. Individuals who are not getting paid well (basically most associates in a podiatry practice) and have a better permanent opportunity in the coming 6,8,12 months could consider a locums gig in between just to make some actual money. Single folks who don't care too much about settling down in one location at the moment, or maybe adventurous young families who are interested in traveling around the country for a bit. There may even be folks who find 2-3 months of work and then having 3 months off is more appealing that part time work in a single location. Someone planning on starting their own practice after residency could also use locums to bring in money while they work on everything it takes to open your doors.

That brings me to pay. I fall in the category of bad pay currently with an upcoming permanent gig. I will be doing a 3 month (could be longer if the hospital or I want to extend it) locums gig, doing foot and ankle surgery within the ortho department of a hospital system. It has been stated that there will be surgical cases similar to if you were joining the ortho group full time. It pays $1500 per day. So in 3 months worth of work, I will be paid $90,000 (all locums is 1099 so take employer payroll taxes into account since you will be paying them). That's damn near my base salary for the whole year at my current job. I can then not work for 5-6 months leading up to the new job if I don't want to. Average pay for a locums podiatrist is around $120 per hour, so you can expect $1000+ per day pretty easily in most cases. The pay is part of the reason that locum tenens positions aren't as popular for podiatrists. A majority of our profession is in private practice (or podiatry groups). They either can't afford to pay someone what it would take for them to come cover, or they are too cheap to do so. Just look at the contracts being offered to new grads by other podiatrists, and then consider that on the low end of these locums positions you are getting paid around $1000 per day. And your travel is paid for. And your housing is paid for. And your rental car is paid for...and those things fall on the employer who is hiring the locums doc.

That seems like a good start. As time goes on I will update the thread. Ask any questions you may have, though until I'm a month or so in I may not have great answers.

I literally laughed out loud reading this. This is exactly who you are, just here to help....

I think the general consensus in our profession is do not practice in the northeast.

No wonder you hate it so much...

While not the best thread to put this in, it is still related. While people on here talk about how great employed jobs can be, the scary thing is that if I were to lose my job, I would have to move. I would have to find another hospital that was ready to hire. I would have to get licensed which in some states can take significant time. There is essentially no locums type work to help with that transition. While yes I live in the middle of nowhere XYZ state, even if you lived in a bigger city, what are the chances that another hospital or group wants to hire an employed pod? Contrast that with pp? First if you own your own practice you probably won't get fired. 2nd, you can probably find another pod to hire you to at least help pay the bills. For employed pods (not associate) the lack of job security should be a little scary. It should also encourage you to start building an emergency fund asap.

While not the best thread to put this in, it is still related. While people on here talk about how great employed jobs can be, the scary thing is that if I were to lose my job, I would have to move. I would have to find another hospital that was ready to hire. I would have to get licensed which in some states can take significant time. There is essentially no locums type work to help with that transition. While yes I live in the middle of nowhere XYZ state, even if you lived in a bigger city, what are the chances that another hospital or group wants to hire an employed pod? Contrast that with pp? First if you own your own practice you probably won't get fired. 2nd, you can probably find another pod to hire you to at least help pay the bills. For employed pods (not associate) the lack of job security should be a little scary. It should also encourage you to start building an emergency fund asap.

These are good points ... there are pros and cons to everything for sure ... if your PP office catches on fire/floods your screwed for the foreseeable future for example or if you dont own the real estate and the landlord jacks up the rent or just didn't renew your lease, thats a huge headache !! Moral of all this is like airbud said ... leave some liquid fund that you can access at all times, if you dont have one then rearrange things in your budget so you can start saving for one ( at least 3 to 6 months, should give you enough time and hope you never have to use it)

Had a couple add on cases that got bumped because, well, podiatry. Meant I went into 5 hours or so of overtime. Total pay, $1900 for yesterday alone. When I worked for a podiatrist I made just under $50/hr. That means I was compensated in one day doing locums, what my last boss took all week to pay me...

So far there are a few potential opportunities when this assignment ends. Also, I've learned a lot of those Indian Health jobs end up using locums providers. While those may not be appealing to do for years (depending on what you want to do for the rest of your career) since it could limit surgical cases for boards, it still seems to be a good option for a period of time.

I reserve the right to change my mind, but I'm still convinced that locums work is a viable option for the following people:

a) new grads who only have offers to get fricked by other podiatrists, coming out of residency
b) podiatrists who get let go by a podiatrist after a year or two of being an associate, with 30 days notice (this is a real story)
c) single folks or those in a relationship without kids (or maybe even adventurous young families with kids?)
d) people who have a new permanent job that is still maybe 6,8,10 months away but you want to make more money in the mean time than your a-hole podiatry boss would ever pay you.
e) people with the cajones (and smarts) to start their own practice and need some income/filler work while they get one up and running

Had a couple add on cases that got bumped because, well, podiatry. Meant I went into 5 hours or so of overtime. Total pay, $1900 for yesterday alone. When I worked for a podiatrist I made just under $50/hr. That means I was compensated in one day doing locums, what my last boss took all week to pay me...

So far there are a few potential opportunities when this assignment ends. Also, I've learned a lot of those Indian Health jobs end up using locums providers. While those may not be appealing to do for years (depending on what you want to do for the rest of your career) since it could limit surgical cases for boards, it still seems to be a good option for a period of time.

I reserve the right to change my mind, but I'm still convinced that locums work is a viable option for the following people:

a) new grads who only have offers to get fricked by other podiatrists, coming out of residency
b) podiatrists who get let go by a podiatrist after a year or two of being an associate, with 30 days notice (this is a real story)
c) single folks or those in a relationship without kids (or maybe even adventurous young families with kids?)
d) people who have a new permanent job that is still maybe 6,8,10 months away but you want to make more money in the mean time than your a-hole podiatry boss would ever pay you.
e) people with the cajones (and smarts) to start their own practice and need some income/filler work while they get one up and running
Hi dtrack 22,

I know this thread is a year or so old, but I haven't found any other posts about locum work in podiatry. I was wondering how your experience has been over the past couple of years, if you have had any other experience in locums, and if you are still working in locums? I am almost a 3rd year podiatry resident, and am interested in a locum type set up, but didnt know if was possible. Wondering what company(ies) you worked with?

Thanks,
An interested resident

I think I can make this brief:

I no longer work locums. Of my year doing it I only had one good assignment from a pay standpoint. Meaning, the type of compensation that makes it attractive for real doctors to do locums as a career. All expenses other than meals were paid for by the locums company/hospital including flights home every couple of weeks, rental car, gas, housing. Every other locums position I saw or was offered was an IHS (Indian Health Services) job. That's fine but $100 per hour without housing, car, gas being paid for isn't great. Especially if you have a family that you can't take with you (or don't want to), as you end up paying double monthly housing just so you can make $100 per hour. It's certainly more than any podiatry group will pay you, and it's always 1099 work which means you may be able to lower your tax burden. But you are spending a few months at a time in rural AZ, NM, OK, AR, etc...

Also, unlike hospitalist, gen surg, and ortho locums, every position I took or was offered was for at least 2-3 months at a time. There was no, 1-2 weeks on and 1-2 weeks off. The surgeons get those schedules because the facilities that hire them are usually doing so just to cover a week or two of call to give their providers a break or because they are currently understaffed. Hospitalists do shift work so it's easy for facilities to get someone to come in and cover a week or two here and there.

Hayes Locums, Barton Associates, AB staffing all found positions for me. You get in touch with a staffing company (many don't recruit or fill positions for podiatry so you often times have to email or call and ask), they get all of your info, and then they reach out to you when they have something. Again, will mostly be IHS jobs unfortunately.

Most available Locums in Podiatry (if you don't want to travel to rural AZ, NM, OK, TX etc) are nursing home gigs. The average pay is $500/day or 40% of collection, whichever is higher. You go through one of those agencies. Can easily find them on job searches.

Most available Locums in Podiatry (if you don't want to travel to rural AZ, NM, OK, TX etc) are nursing home gigs. The average pay is $500/day or 40% of collection, whichever is higher. You go through one of those agencies. Can easily find them on job searches.

Few of these would meet the definition of "locum tenens" and I never had any of the locum staffing companies come to me with any nursing home positions that were seeking a locums provider for coverage. The big nursing home companies (ie Healthdrive) are W-2 positions and they are not looking for someone who wants to come cover for a few weeks or 1-2 months and then leave, or travel to another assignment, even though that's often times what they get/take. Beggars can't be choosers.

If you're simply looking for something temporary because you can't find anything good in the locations you'd like to live, nursing home jobs would certainly be an option. But I don't think those jobs should be confused with actual locums work.

In general, If you go online and type in locums for podiatry, you will not see any Ortho, Hospital or MSG looking for a locum podiatrist. Maybe a few IHS gigs but 99% of the locum are nursing homes with Health drives, 360 care, Preferred Podiatry Group etc.

Further no Ortho, Hospital or MSG looking for a podiatrist will hire a new grad as locum. Nursing home locum will consider a new grad as beggars can't be choosers.

Lastly, I believe nursing home is also actual Locum work for Podiatry. Other specialities (cardiology, nephro etc) rotate through nursing homes as Locums. As a doctor, you can't look down on any aspect of medicine. Nursing home patients also need medical care even if you are mostly doing nail care.

Reactions: 1 user
Health drive offers 150k a year with benefits in some parts of the US. That’s way more than what you will make in pp as an associate.

Health drive offers 150k a year with benefits in some parts of the US. That’s way more than what you will make in pp as an associate.
Yea but you can do a TAR for 100k a year as a pp sucker, I mean, associate...

As a doctor, you can't look down on any aspect of medicine. Nursing home patients also need medical care even if you are mostly doing nail care.

I can and I will. I did it two times and that was enough. Absolutely disgusting facilities, backbreaking work, aggressively demented patients and I felt gross afterwards. More power to people who can do it though.

this is actually an opportunity I never considered an opportunity before lol. I assume though you'd need to get state licensing for those positions though? Or no? Temporary license? Or is there some way to finagle this so you wouldn't have to go through that?

this is actually an opportunity I never considered an opportunity before lol. I assume though you'd need to get state licensing for those positions though? Or no? Temporary license? Or is there some way to finagle this so you wouldn't have to go through that?

IHS jobs are like the VA and will take any state license. Every other type of locum job requires you to be licensed in the state the job is in but the locums company has people to do that for you and will usually pay the license fees for you.

Reactions: 1 user