Locum tenens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lejeunesage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be feasible to just work locum tenens year-round if you hope to stay in or around the same city?
I'm imagining there wouldn't be enough locum work in a smaller place, but supposing you wanted stay in a place the size of Chicago or Seattle, how realistic would it be to expect to find enough work to maintain a decent income?

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt it. But you might want to contact CompHealth, they'd be able to tell you.

I doubt it. But you might want to contact CompHealth, they'd be able to tell you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be feasible to just work locum tenens year-round if you hope to stay in or around the same city?
I'm imagining there wouldn't be enough locum work in a smaller place, but supposing you wanted stay in a place the size of Chicago or Seattle, how realistic would it be to expect to find enough work to maintain a decent income?

My personal experience with locums has been that it's tougher to find locums in larger cities and much easier in rural settings. Typically practices look for locums in areas that are difficult to attract physicians to. There are no shortages of applicants for jobs to places like Seattle or Chicago, so finding a permanent doc is not usually an issue.

I tried to find locums work between residency and fellowship near or in a major city, it took forever. There were just no physiatry openings. There were plenty about two hours away in a more rural setting though.

You might want to consider part time subacute consult work.