Locums Pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theanswer03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've come across an inpatient PM&R locums opportunity and was told that they could pay $150/hr. Does this seem fair and in line with other locums jobs that others have found?

Members don't see this ad.

I've come across an inpatient PM&R locums opportunity and was told that they could pay $150/hr. Does this seem fair and in line with other locums jobs that others have found?
That sounds very low. I would not do inpatient lower than $250-300/hr.

Reactions: 1 user
That sounds very low. I would not do inpatient lower than $250-300/hr.

depends if you'll have 8 hours a day of work or not. If you're doing locums, working 8hrs per day, 5 days per week, 48 weeks per year, that comes out to $480,000 a year at $250 an hour, which is more than most doing inpatient rehab.

Even $150 per hour equals $288,000/year if working 8 hr days, which is okay but not terrible for inpatient work. Locums should pay more, so I'd ask for $200/hr if working 8hr days.

However if the locums work is just for 2-3 hrs per day, then I agree with PMR and you should ask for $250-300/hr.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, the locum is is really that high?
At this rate, you could literally work only 8 months a year and do all right.
Is the job market for inpatient physiatrists that tight?
Or is locum so painful that no one wants to do it?

Anyone else have input on locums rates? I've been seeing $1300-1350 per day, with a hospitalist covering at night.