locum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

achieman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was confused on the locum tenens and found this from a website, thought I'd share. Also, happy to see Anes doc are one of the highest paid. For those who know more about it, is the pay about right?

What is Locum Tenens?

Locum tenens is a Latin phrase that means "to hold the place of, to substitute for." In layman's terms it means a temporary physician. In the early 1970s a federal grant was awarded to the University of Utah for the purpose of staffing rural health clinics in medically under served areas of the western United States. The program proved so successful that many hospital administrators and physicians began calling for locum tenens assistance.

Today thousands of physicians contract with recruiting agencies to perform medical services for healthcare facilities. The twenty-plus-year industry continues to grow as more and more physicians choose this way of practicing medicine.

Why do Locum Tenens?

Physicians choose locum tenens for several reasons. The option to try out a variety of different practice styles and geographic locations before making a permanent commitment is a compelling choice. A high percentage of residents are unhappy with their first practice setting, often because the style of practice is not what was expected or the administrative agendas of the institution were not clearly defined.

With locum tenens there is no pressure to decide on anything until you are ready. Locum Tenens gives you the time to decide if all your critical needs and desires such as geography, income potential, practice style, administrative agendas, and community profile line up with your long-term goals.

Physicians in mid-career transition use locum tenens to try out different areas and bridge the gap on income while searching for the right position. Seasoned physicians enjoy the option of scaling back but not retiring from medicine full time. If you could choose where, when and how why wouldn't you?

Why do healthcare clients use Locum Tenens?

Hospitals, groups and clinics, from rural solo practices to large metro healthcare systems need help in staffing for a variety of reasons. When a physician is on vacation or a sabbatical, filling in for a permanent vacancy. To supplement regular staff during peak seasons, it is cost effective to supplement the permanent staff with locum tenens physicians rather than staffing at the maximum levels at all times.

How much money will I make doing Locum Tenens?

It depends on your medical specialty and the job description. Most locum tenens companies pay the physician as an independent contractor on a per diem basis. Some contracts are based on an hourly scale, overtime and on-call time are paid at time and a half after a 40-hour workweek. We cover your medical malpractice insurance, travel and housing expenses. Here's some examples of pay scales by specialty:

Specialty Income per day based on 8 hr day
Family Practice 400-450
Internal Medicine 400-450
Pediatrics 400-430
OB/GYN 600-800
Hospitalist 520-760
General Surgeon 550-600
Orthopedic Surgeon 700-750
Neurosurgeon 1300-1400
Anesthesiologist 1000-1500
Psychiatrist 500-600
Radiologist 1200-1500
Cardiologist 600-750
Cardiologist - Invasive 800-1100

Is there work available in every state?

Yes. Check out the locum tenens job search function

There are thousands of locum tenens contracts available on any given day. For personalized attention, call us and you'll receive professional assistance in finding the right job.

What if I have NY medical license but want to work in Florida?

Unless it is federal facility you can not work in another state without an active state medical license. Most recruiting agencies will assist you in obtaining medical licenses in other states.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have heard from my upper level CA 3s, the locums pay is about right. Hopefully, it will stay that way for a long time for both you and me to see those numbers. Currently, I am in debt to my eyeballs, and have 3.5 years to go. Damn this sucks.