Logging Shadowing/Volunteer Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhitneyRachelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I'm an entering freshman in college, and I've already began to volunteer and shadow this summer. I was just curious as to if there is a certain way that you recorded your shadowing and volunteer hours? Are there certain things that you did to help you stay organized? Are there certain pieces of information that I need to be sure I'm recording? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You could make an excel sheet but what you get out of an experience is more important than the amount of time you put in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know the name of the app?

There's an app on Android called premed sidekick. I'm not sure how good it is. I downloaded it, but I've already applied and have stuff listed in a word doc so I haven't had a need to use the app.

For IOS, an SDN user created a thread awhile back. I can't remember the name, but I'm sure you can find it through an SDN search. Good luck :thumbup:

Hey, everyone! I'm an entering freshman in college, and I've already began to volunteer and shadow this summer. I was just curious as to if there is a certain way that you recorded your shadowing and volunteer hours? Are there certain things that you did to help you stay organized? Are there certain pieces of information that I need to be sure I'm recording? Thanks!

Jesus, just make an Excel spreadsheeet. Record the date, physician, specialty, and hours of shadowing for each experience. Load it onto your email if you're worried about losing it.

Attachments

• Shadowing_Log.xlsx
    12.9 KB · Views: 98
I went old school and bought a small (5x7) notebook. Helpful in that I can staple business cards from doctors who have shown a willingness to let me shadow, keep paperwork from various volunteer organizations, etc. Of course, the danger is in losing the thing, but I just keep it in my backpack and haven't had a problem yet. I should probably get around to scanning it someday, though.