Logistical Question: How does the waitlist move 3-4 weeks after May 15?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReachingTruth

My Future Rests on Hope
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure this out, so help me out and correct me where my reasoning goes wrong.

So by May 15th, accepted people hold one acceptance in their hand. The waitlist will move at the schools they declined offers. Most schools factor this in and accept a higher number of people than seats. So applicants are offered seats once the number of individuals coming is below number of seats (i.e 120 people said yes while there are 150 seats). People move off the waitlist and others get into the schools they were accepted at. It seems like all this would equilibrate within 3-4 weeks, then how does the waitlist move really after mid June?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to figure this out, so help me out and correct me where my reasoning goes wrong.

So by May 15th, accepted people hold one acceptance in their hand. The waitlist will move at the schools they declined offers. Most schools factor this in and accept a higher number of people than seats. So applicants are offered seats once the number of individuals coming is below number of seats (i.e 120 people said yes while there are 150 seats). People move off the waitlist and others get into the schools they were accepted at. It seems like all this would equilibrate within 3-4 weeks, then how does the waitlist move really after mid June?

I don't have a definite answer to your question about reasoning, but here's an idea. Medical schools are going to offer waitlist spots to those on their waitlists. Waitlisters have 1-2 weeks to decide whether or not to take the spot. Many waitlisters are on several waitlists, so they may decline some waitlist acceptances and take the one they want. In any case, it takes time for this process to work out, and the schools may have to offer 45 waitlist spots for 20 open seats b/c some of waitlistees may refuse their offer.

I'd also imagine that some people defer after May 15th, don't get the financial aid package they hoped for, or simply withdraw before the start of classes for some other reason. Also, you can only hold one acceptance after May 15th, but some people could have one acceptance and get off a waitlist at a school they'd rather attend and turn down the original acceptance.