LOL situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessMS

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If an attending owes MS money (small amount <$20) because there was a pool and MS was the one who collected the money from all pool members. When asked if they wanted to join the pool, attending agreed and told MS to pay the amount upfront and that they will pay them back. Felt awkward at the time since other attendings in the pool Venmo the $$ to participate in the pool. But as MS, did not say no and agreed to upfront the $$.

It's been several weeks now. Attending did not respond to a message asking to meet for something unrelated to the $$. Attending likely is busy, and they have forgotten about it, and MS knows it is not intentional.

Not a big deal. Just curious how one should act or just let it go.

PS: When was a Pre-med, heard stories about attendings forgetting their stethoscope during rounds, using a MS' or resident's, and then putting them into their whitecoat pocket inadvertently. Must have been awkward for MS/resident to ask for their stethoscope back.

Members don't see this ad.

I think one reminder is all that's needed but after that I'd chalk it up to experience and move on. Think of it as 2 moca cappuccino frappes you paid for but did't imbibe. In the case of attending pocketing (inadvertently) my stethoscope, I would deffo ask for it. Of course I have my name on it too and would hope he'd notice that and return it himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
PS: When was a Pre-med, heard stories about attendings forgetting their stethoscope during rounds, using a MS' or resident's, and then putting them into their whitecoat pocket inadvertently. Must have been awkward for MS/resident to ask for their stethoscope back.
Not awkward at all. Since starting 3rd year in July I’ve had to ask for my stethoscope, otoscope, ophthalmoscope, and pens back. Just be polite: “Excuse me, Dr. Whatever; but I believe you still have my (insert whatever they pocketed.)” 99.999% of the time they did it absent-mindedly, and immediately hand it back.

My equipment was expensive, and my stethoscope was a gift. My pens? Well, I’m a pen snob so they’re usually nice &/or hard to find locally, so yeah, I’d want them back too.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I once had a PGY2 ask to use my only pen in clerkship. I always carried a pen and pencil. I asked them for it back later when I saw they were at the computer with another pen right next to the mouse pad they were using. They refused and I never got the pen back.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
$10,000 - $20 = $9980 Still in the black...:rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
pens? Well, I’m a pen snob so they’re usually nice &/or hard to find locally, so yeah, I’d want them back too.
Ufff, pens

I remember I used to buy boxes of cheap pens and hide them in the most obscure drawers or cabinets in the hospital. Every week, or after a shift, I would have to restock either because I lost them or lent them.

It's definitely "go time." Tackle attending in the hallway and demand the $20 plus the vig. Pictures or it didn't happen!

Charge it to the game. There are thieves in every profession unfortunately. Trying to get it back could cause you problems since they’re in a position of power over you. It’s also been awhile. If it bothers you that much though you have every right to bring it up. Just do it in a non-confrontational way.

Dude I know you’re a poor med student and all but it’s $20.