Loma Linda strictness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cramir23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was accepted into Loma Linda:), still waiting on a couple of schools but I'm pretty sure I'm headed to LLU. I was just curious since they are SDA, how strict are they about rules in general. I know I have to attend a mass, and also take religion courses, I don't plan on living on campus. Sometimes I just want to let loose and relax and have fun. Are a lot of the students there very religious and conservative? Is it going to feel like a catholic high school all over again. Please note, by letting loose and relaxing doesn't mean I am trying to get wasted because I worked very hard for this and am not on planning on being a dumb college kid. I am just very outgoing and easy going and not very religious. I was hoping some current LLU students can shed light on this. I just want a preview of what to expect.

Members don't see this ad.

I live in the city next to Loma Linda and almost considered applying to Loma Linda but decided not too as my pre-reqs didn't quite match with what they wanted. I currently am in my first year of my DPT program at Chapman University and I couldn't be happier. I've talked to a few of my classmates who had also been accepted to LLU and they got a similiar feeling of the strictness of the program like you described.

I know for a fact LLU is a great school but I also think they are a little more strict due to their religious affiliation and i think their students and faculty represent that atmosphere too. This is all speculative of course for the most part but from talking to individuals in the LLU DPT program and just what I have observed in the community myself, I think its pretty accurate. A response from a actual LLU PT student is probably what you were looking for, but I hope this helped some how none the less.

I live in the city next to Loma Linda and almost considered applying to Loma Linda but decided not too as my pre-reqs didn't quite match with what they wanted. I currently am in my first year of my DPT program at Chapman University and I couldn't be happier. I've talked to a few of my classmates who had also been accepted to LLU and they got a similiar feeling of the strictness of the program like you described.

I know for a fact LLU is a great school but I also think they are a little more strict due to their religious affiliation and i think their students and faculty represent that atmosphere too. This is all speculative of course for the most part but from talking to individuals in the LLU DPT program and just what I have observed in the community myself, I think its pretty accurate. A response from a actual LLU PT student is probably what you were looking for, but I hope this helped some how none the less.

Was all that a huge game changer for your friends? I just feel like all those things would just be on campus, but not a big deal since you are in classes most of the time. Plus the mass thing is only once a week. I mean, they're are not miserable right?

Members don't see this ad :)
cramir23 i'm having the exact same thoughts as you! I'm officially going to LLU for DPT but not at all religious. I think that even though there are certain rules, the vast majority of people are just there to learn and study in their field of practice. From what I hear no one is trying to convert anyone or force anything upon the students; mostly just integrating spirituality and professionalism in the scientific setting.
I do wonder how strict that no piercing/tattoo thing is though....

cramir23 i'm having the exact same thoughts as you! I'm officially going to LLU for DPT but not at all religious. I think that even though there are certain rules, the vast majority of people are just there to learn and study in their field of practice. From what I hear no one is trying to convert anyone or force anything upon the students; mostly just integrating spirituality and professionalism in the scientific setting.
I do wonder how strict that no piercing/tattoo thing is though....

wait no tattoo? on the LLU facebook site, I saw a girl with a tattoo. I have a tattoo as well... I didnt see anything about tattoos on the professional standards contract.

What deters you about the strictness? It would be nice to go a day without hearing profanity used in ever other sentence. You might enjoy the atmosphere of LL.

Kevin

What deters you about the strictness? It would be nice to go a day without hearing profanity used in ever other sentence. You might enjoy the atmosphere of LL.

Kevin

Wow, what a narrow-minded view of people. :rolleyes:
I don't know who you hang out with, but the majority of people don't curse 'every other sentence'. And, if profanity bothers you, most reasonable friends tend to avoid it if you ask. Having that be a rule, though? No. No thank you, I prefer freedom of speech, both for myself and so I know who to avoid.
And really, we're still judging people for tattoos and piercings? There's a difference between professionalism and homogeneity. Sure, some things cross the line, and the social connotations should be considered...but nothing is black and white.

I'm glad for SDN, otherwise I wouldn't even consider the possibility that a school might be this restrictive. Now I can avoid it :shrug: But to each their own, I suppose.

Wait,sorry lets backtrack because I think you're jumping to conclusions about what we're trying to say about Loma Linda. Yes, the school has certain rules in place but they're not trying to limit anyone in the sense of taking away freedom of speech. That'd be absurd. The school IS a seventh day adventist university and is trying to provide a great education under the general umbrella of a religious institution and there are many other religious-based universities that instill the same codes of conduct. I totally understand where you're coming; if the additional factors of a religious institution make you feel uncomfortable then, I agree, you probably wouldn't apply but Loma Linda shouldn't be viewed as an absurdly restrictive institution in relation to other similar religious universities.

Freedom of speech is about your interactions with the government, not a private entity.

Freedom of speech is about your interactions with the government, not a private entity.

I know, I didn't say it was my right to speak freely at LL, but that I would prefer to go somewhere where it wasn't regulated. I'm sorry if that particular phrasing stank of sanctimonious-false-interpretation-of-the-Constitution, my description of my preferences for a school just happened to coincide. I don't even like the concept of quiet housing at a university, so no, I don't think I'd be happy somewhere with profanity/dress codes. I would be frustrated.

It's not even about the religious aspect, though I imagine that would bother me separately...I just don't like over-regulation in general. :shrug:

Sent via phone, please excuse typos and formatting errors!

Wow, what a narrow-minded view of people. :rolleyes:
I don't know who you hang out with, but the majority of people don't curse 'every other sentence'. .

It's not narrow-minded. All you need to do is watch most television shows or movies to hear such profanity.

LLU isn't going to make you pray or worship a God you don't recognize. Most schools require some level of professionalism anyway, so I don't think you should be concerned about "strictness" or "over-regulation."

The students in this video at LLU seem to be doing just fine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeSW2Gg1qIY

Kevin

It's not narrow-minded. All you need to do is watch most television shows or movies to hear such profanity.

LLU isn't going to make you pray or worship a God you don't recognize. Most schools require some level of professionalism anyway, so I don't think you should be concerned about "strictness" or "over-regulation."

The students in this video at LLU seem to be doing just fine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeSW2Gg1qIY

Kevin

I never once said they would make me have anything to do with God. And while it's fine that you think I shouldn't be concerned with strictness, I'm going to continue disliking it and avoiding it whenever possible, OK? I have no problem with those students liking LL, I never said it was a bad school, or that they were doing anything wrong, I just know that I, personally, would hate-loathe-abhor being a part of that atmosphere.