Loma Linda vs. Mayo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faithwalk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard other mention Loma Linda much. I thought it was a decent program and the residents were happy. Mayo may have a better name. Which would be a better option for someone who wants to end up working in academics, I am most interested in critical care. While California would be a more pleasant place to spend time off, would it be a better career decision to choose Mayo/Rochester?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't get me wrong, location is very important but I'm surprised by this decision. Mayo is clearly the superior program here, and I'm not that bothered about prestige. It has outstanding patient exposure, with obviously many high complexity cases to be done. The PD is fantastic and very well-respected nationally. He seems very pro-resident, as does the program as a whole. Good work hours, family-friendly, very happy and fun residents. All in all, Mayo is a top caliber program that suffers from a location problem, as you have illustrated here. Unless you absolutely could not imagine living in Rochester for 4 years I would advise you to rank Mayo higher, particularly as you note an interest in academics.

Members don't see this ad :)
It should be easy to ask both programs what percentage of their graduates go on to do academic critical care, and then pick the one with the highest percentage. It's probably Mayo.

It really comes down to what is important to you in life. There are so many factors that come into play. If getting the best training at any cost is the most important thing to you at this juncture in life, then it's an easy answer.

For what it's worth, I ranked loma linda higher than the following programs:
University of Michigan
University of Chicago
University of Washington
Washington University
NYU
Columbia

I didn't end up at loma linda (was lucky and got my first choice), but I guess my point is, make sure you decide based off of things that are important to you and not others.

Good luck to you all!

I wouldn't live in either place. Location, location, location.
You have to live there for four years, keep that in mind.

Basically comes down to how you feel about cold weather and snow, versus long-term career prospects.

I did meet someone who walked away from Mayo residency a year before it was done, simply out of not being able to face another winter there.

I've lived in MN and CA, and as much as Rochester blows (it really does), anyone who leaves Mayo in their last year because of weather either has poor impulse control or is lying to you about why they left.

I've lived in MN and CA, and as much as Rochester blows (it really does), anyone who leaves Mayo in their last year because of weather either has poor impulse control or is lying to you about why they left.

I really doubt she was lying, considering that she ended up getting into a substantially more competitive field when she left. This was a very strong resident whose subsequent fellowship showed that she had the pick of the litter.

I'll play devil's advocate for a second. Given faithwalk's name, maybe faithwalk is a 7th Day Adventist, or at least a Christian? If so, then maybe going to Loma Linda could arguably be better for faithwalk if faithwalk wants to work in Christian or 7th Day Adventist circles like if faithwalk wants to work for Loma Linda University?

Although I would still think it'd be hard for anyone to turn down a Mayo grad! But maybe if all things are otherwise equal in two candidates, then they might prefer their own, so to speak?

Not sure, I could be wrong here. Personally, if I had the choice, I'd pick Mayo.

OP, if this is the case, please contact me. I don't want this thread to turn into a theological debate, but SDA has some very important departures from Christianity. There are much better destinations for a Christian who wants to train in a place compatible with his/her faith.