Psych attending considering Pain vs Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pain is not lucrative these days. It’s all about the rvu in pain.

So many different pain hospitals based contracts some base $425k plus rvu after say 15k rvu at $60/rvu so if you do 20k rvu.
That’s $450k plus (5000 rvu (first 15k is the base) $5000 x $60/rvu ($300k)

You gross comes out to $750k only for pain. Not great

Some private places before buy in is strict $32/rvu. So even if you generate 20k rvu. That comes out to only $640k! Horrible

Now if they let you buy in. It’s $60/rvu x 20k after buy in. So 1.2 million sounds better.

So many different pain contracts.
That’s not how wrvu contracts work for HOPD jobs. It’s $/wrvu. So 20k wrvu is 1.2 million. Plus full benefits.
 
That’s not how wrvu contracts work for HOPD jobs. It’s $/wrvu. So 20k wrvu is 1.2 million. Plus full benefits.
“Year 2 should make well past 600k. It’s base salary plus RVUs. ”

This is university based contract my pain friend is at.

It’s not straight 1.2 million. It’s base salary first.
 
I’m getting paid A LOT of money to come in at 530am. And it’s not $500/hr. It’s much more. So I’m sure ur chance of coming in at 530 is more than zero percent when that hourly pay is close to $1000/hr.

I’m not gonna to roll out of bed unless I get what I wanted. Some sucker MD is working at the ortho center for $500/hr. He’s desperate for cash I guess.

another level of killing it is when your investment returns in an avg year meet or exceed your work income. I dont think most are working FTE other than the few friends of yours sitting on 20m and working to fund there lifestyles.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
another level of killing it is when your investment returns in an avg year meet or exceed your work income. I dont think most are working FTE other than the few friends of yours sitting on 20m and working to fund there lifestyles.
Idk why people work when they reach that level. . They don’t live crazy lifestyles. The ones who live crazy lifestyles (the more showy fast cars, fancy 1 million dollar fishing boat) have far less

So there is a reason they reach 20 million plus.
 
Idk why people work when they reach that level. . They don’t live crazy lifestyles. The ones who live crazy lifestyles (the more showy fast cars, fancy 1 million dollar fishing boat) have far less

So there is a reason they reach 20 million plus.

They work bc they didnt establish anything else like hobbies they are really into or a friends circle. Now there are different levels of work internsity but to maintain the same schedule as before thats my best guess. You dont need 20m really. Honestly i have a hard time once you hit invetment income being on par with w-2 income. 500k from stock gains is a lot more than 500k w-2.

So limited work for fun and interest is fine but if you can't spend the investment yearly income or even the principal thats producing it you are stuck mentally that its "hard" for you to live off your gains and you need to keep "producing" fresh money to justify spend. Thats not a winning formula.

I know the 3% swr is a good marker but i think i like the investment income matching your work income is even better and maybe can be used together provided its a 3-5 year avg of investment income matching or beating your work income.
 
They work bc they didnt establish anything else like hobbies they are really into or a friends circle. Now there are different levels of work internsity but to maintain the same schedule as before thats my best guess. You dont need 20m really. Honestly i have a hard time once you hit invetment income being on par with w-2 income. 500k from stock gains is a lot more than 500k w-2.

So limited work for fun and interest is fine but if you can't spend the investment yearly income or even the principal thats producing it you are stuck mentally that its "hard" for you to live off your gains and you need to keep "producing" fresh money to justify spend. Thats not a winning formula.

I know the 3% swr is a good marker but i think i like the investment income matching your work income is even better and maybe can be used together provided its a 3-5 year avg of investment income matching or beating your work income.
People have hobbies.

I think people have misconceptions what a hobby is. Most of the time involves very little money.

Book reading club
Church every Wednesday night
Sewing
Cooking classes.

People like to keep themselves busy.

But you are right. It’s all about the work intensity. Once people hit a major milestone. They are not gonna to slave away rotting solo in a room at 2am every two weekends

Just ask people here who still work. Many still work 3 days a week. So do very little call.

They can go down to zero work. But they don’t and they have hobbies.

I can retire cold turkey right now at age 52. But why? I got done at work at 9a/5pm/8a/5pm/10am this week

Would you retire?

That’s 15k week I did. Extremely low effort. Now if I’m slaving away at $450/hr for 50 hr for $22500 solo.

What sounds better?
30 hr for 15k or 50 hr for $22500?

It’s all in the workload why people don’t retire
 
People have hobbies.

I think people have misconceptions what a hobby is. Most of the time involves very little money.

Book reading club
Church every Wednesday night
Sewing
Cooking classes.

People like to keep themselves busy.

But you are right. It’s all about the work intensity. Once people hit a major milestone. They are not gonna to slave away rotting solo in a room at 2am every two weekends

Just ask people here who still work. Many still work 3 days a week. So do very little call.

They can go down to zero work. But they don’t and they have hobbies.

I can retire cold turkey right now at age 52. But why? I got done at work at 9a/5pm/8a/5pm/10am this week

Would you retire?

That’s 15k week I did. Extremely low effort. Now if I’m slaving away at $450/hr for 50 hr for $22500 solo.

What sounds better?
30 hr for 15k or 50 hr for $22500?

It’s all in the workload why people don’t retire

its not in the workload why most people dont retire. If you had 100m you would not be going into work. People deep down still dont feel safe thats it for most of them. Friend of ours is 55 yo rad onc with 22m half from apple stock still was worried about health ins premium if he stopped working and is finally maybe slowing down to focus on his health but he has no hobbies but still does 50 hour weeks..
 
They work bc they didnt establish anything else like hobbies they are really into or a friends circle. Now there are different levels of work internsity but to maintain the same schedule as before thats my best guess. You dont need 20m really. Honestly i have a hard time once you hit invetment income being on par with w-2 income. 500k from stock gains is a lot more than 500k w-2.

So limited work for fun and interest is fine but if you can't spend the investment yearly income or even the principal thats producing it you are stuck mentally that its "hard" for you to live off your gains and you need to keep "producing" fresh money to justify spend. Thats not a winning formula.

I know the 3% swr is a good marker but i think i like the investment income matching your work income is even better and maybe can be used together provided its a 3-5 year avg of investment income matching or beating your work income.
People have hobbies.

I think people have misconceptions what a hobby is. Most of the time involves very little money. I don’t thinking hiking or seeing Lake Tahoe does anything for me. And I’ve been there numerous times.

Book reading club
Church every Wednesday night
Sewing
Cooking classes.

People like to keep themselves busy.

But you are right. It’s all about the work intensity. Once people hit a major milestone. They are not gonna to slave away rotting solo in a room at 2am every two weekends

Just ask people here who still work. Many still work 3 days a week. So do very little call.

They can go down to zero work. But they don’t and they have hobbies.

I can retire cold turkey right now at age 52. But why? I got done at work at 9a/5pm/8a/5pm/10am this week

Would you retire?

That’s 15k week I did. Extremely low effort. Now if I’m slaving away at $450/hr for 50 hr for $22500 solo.

What sounds better?
30 hr for 15k or 50 hr for $22500?

All about workload.
its not in the workload why most people dont retire. If you had 100m you would not be going into work. People deep down still dont feel safe thats it for most of them. Friend of ours is 55 yo rad onc with 22m half from apple stock still was worried about health ins premium if he stopped working and is finally maybe slowing down to focus on his health but he has no hobbies but still does 50 hour weeks..
We have 2 billionaires in my neighborhood going to work daily (non medical)

So yes. People still work.