long distance relationships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elizabeth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, next fall I will be moving halfway across the country away from my SO to go to medical school. Have any of you had long distance relationships while in medical school (successful or unsuccessful)? Any advice on how to make it work would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard! Fortunately, my girlfriend moved with me. It was a big step for her and I very much appreciate her effort to make our relationship work through medical school. I've already prepared her for the worst so that it won't end up too bad. I also let her read alot of books on the lives of medical students. I'm sure it will still be tough even though we'll be living in the same city! Good luck and I hope you'll have a understanding SO.

well, i'm not in med school yet.... but i've been away from my SO for over 8 months!!!! he's in boston and i'm in los angeles: 3000 miles away. it's tough.... but we manage to talk to each other EVERY NIGHT... we're a technologically savvy couple, so we email, instant message [AIM], use an internet audio phone [Firetalk], and do videoconferencing [Netmeeting] all the time. all it costs is a hundred bucks for the webcam and twenty bucks for a microphone headset, but it's worth it! plus, we save on long distance charges!! we've been able to get together every couple of months for holidays and what-not. i think the most important thing to consider is how strong your relationship with your SO is... you need a strong foundation in order for both partners to commit to "making the relationship" work despite the distance barrier and stresses and time vacuum of medical school. best of luck!

Oh yeah, I've been away from my SO for 2 years! (She's in a PhD program and is, thankfully, finishing this summer...) Let me tell you that it takes an enormous amount of COMMUNICATION! I second all of Carolyn's comments and would like to add that online travel services like Priceline.com and Cheaptickets have been extremely helpful. It's very hard but can be done. Good luck...