Long term effects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rxpharmd222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a relationship with a girl that I'm in love with and will possibly engage. However, she takes a few medications (pristiq, vyvanse, trazodone). Even though I'm a pharmacist, I disagree with use of these medications because I feel that they have long term effects on the brain. I get worried about these long term effects. I voiced my disapproval of them to her and they're not medications she plans to discontinue. Do you all think that I have anything to worry about in terms of her mental health in the long run?

Members don't see this ad.

You will not receive medical advice on this forum. You should discuss this with her and she should discuss this with her physician.

I'm in a relationship with a girl that I'm in love with and will possibly engage. However, she takes a few medications (pristiq, vyvanse, trazodone). Even though I'm a pharmacist, I disagree with use of these medications because I feel that they have long term effects on the brain. I get worried about these long term effects. I voiced my disapproval of them to her and they're not medications she plans to discontinue. Do you all think that I have anything to worry about in terms of her mental health in the long run?

Leave her dude....Medicine is bad....it will turn her into a face eating zombie.....for reals

Sweet got in before it was closed HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

serotonin syndrome?

If you're a pharmacist, then I would think you would know the answer, or be able to figure it out.

That being said...I've seen many people on many more medications than 3 that seem to get along just fine. If she's taking these medications for a diagnosed reason, I would seriously consider the possibility that she might be worse off not taking them.

Wow, that's all I can say..... You know you're not in third grade. Who gives a **** if you disapprove. You're not her father. By the way, do you have any studies to backup your "long term effects on the brain theory"?

Not trying to being a cold, calculative machine, but I think everyone need to take a step back and get an objective assessment before tying the knot. If your brother is talking marrying a girl on these meds, what would you say to him? What about when they talk about having kids, a gamble in which loser is trapped for life? How about mental status and risk to baby post partum? Will she become a net asset or liability on the road to prosperity?

Marriage is more about building a long term future, most of it will come after all the hot sex is gone. So will she fit into that plan or cause it to come crashing down? Don't leave your head (the one on your shoulders) out of it. It it doesn't look good, make it short, don't lead her on.

Why is she on them? Does she work for CVS? If she does than that is normal and something that I wouldn't really worry about, because any sane person needs to be medicated to work at that hell-hole. If she has a great job and needs these meds to feel normal I would be concerned. I used to be on an anti-depressant, beta blocker, and anti-anxiety when I worked at CVS then I found a new job and I was suddenly "cured". It was CVS producing all these "disorders", not my brain.

It's always a great idea to think about things before you get married. i see people on this forum saying it's none of your business, etc but it is and the fact remains that alot of people dive into marriage without thinking about things into the future (kids, money, drug dependency, etc). Personally if i am with someone i am planning to marry i will want to know why they are depressed and what role i will play in breaking that. Even though i am a pharmacist i think alot of depression cases have to do with problems in our lives like people not having the support they need or money, family problems, etc rather than a chemical imbalance. It seems like she has been on them for awhile so i don't really see any major problems with long term effects but i do see a problem of dependency which is a concern. If i was in your shoes i would ensure i know her well and her personlaity for at least 3-5 years before going into something serious as marriage or you can always sign a pre-nup :thumbup:

I feel like in pharmacy school we talk so much about the negative consequences from side effects that the positives are sometimes lost. It really is important to consider that these drugs might be making her life much better than it otherwise would be.

That said, I would be wary of marrying somebody with issues like she might have. There are plenty of fish in the sea...

What are the long term effects on the brain that you are worried about?

You voiced your disapproval to her? Are you her doctor? If she has an illness, maybe she should be on her medication.

It seems to me that you have already decided that you doubt her mental health and you are posting this to get support.

Try to get to know where she is coming from. Often times, anxiety and depression stems from difficult life-events. It can also be rooted in unproductive coping skills. Psychotherapy, in conjunction with medication if needed, is good at helping people recognize their situation and habitual patterns that may be contributing to their issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's funny and ironic how most of the pharmacists I know are trying to stay drug-free as they get older. We know all about drugs as we see them VERY often yet we're trying our best to NOT be put on drugs. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody can really know the situation. Yes, some people are overmedicate, but other people truely do require a variety of medicines to lead a normal life. And ultimately, your girlfriend has to make the decisions that she feels are best for her health. And yes, there are risks with taking any medication, even Tylenol (er maybe especially with Tylenol!), but as long as she is being monitored by a physician, there is every reason to think she will be just fine. Other than perhaps encouraging her to get a 2nd opinion, I'd drop the subject. Don't marry someone thinking they will change, so you will have to decide for yourself if her being on meds is a deal breaker. But think of it like this, would you be considering this if she were on Lantus, metformin & captopril? Do you not believe that psychotropic medications are treating a physical problem in the brain, or do you think psychotropic medications just work as placebos? What if you married someone in perfect health, who later developed problems? Personally, I think its your partner who should be worried about progressing the relationship further with you, if you are considering dumping her now because of health problems (which apparently are being controlled with medication.)

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody can really know the situation. Yes, some people are overmedicate, but other people truely do require a variety of medicines to lead a normal life. And ultimately, your girlfriend has to make the decisions that she feels are best for her health. And yes, there are risks with taking any medication, even Tylenol (er maybe especially with Tylenol!), but as long as she is being monitored by a physician, there is every reason to think she will be just fine. Other than perhaps encouraging her to get a 2nd opinion, I'd drop the subject. Don't marry someone thinking they will change, so you will have to decide for yourself if her being on meds is a deal breaker. But think of it like this, would you be considering this if she were on Lantus, metformin & captopril? Do you not believe that psychotropic medications are treating a physical problem in the brain, or do you think psychotropic medications just work as placebos? What if you married someone in perfect health, who later developed problems? Personally, I think its your partner who should be worried about progressing the relationship further with you, if you are considering dumping her now because of health problems (which apparently are being controlled with medication.)

:thumbup::thumbup:

You shouldn't be the one that decides if she "needs" them or not. Mental illness is a serious thing. If this is not something you can handle, then move on.

N Personally, I think its your partner who should be worried about progressing the relationship further with you, if you are considering dumping her now because of health problems (which apparently are being controlled with medication.)

Oh, c'mon. Someone who seems to need both antidepressant and ADHD med to be normal? The thought of marrying someone like that would give most people serious pause. Heck, a guy who's completely healthy but broke is often enough for girls to consider him not marriage material. I think his concerns are perfectly rational, but does comes kind of late.

Last edited:
Oh, c'mon. Someone who seems to need both antidepressant and ADHD med to be normal? The thought of marrying someone like that would give most people serious pause. Heck, a guy who's completely healthy but broke is often enough for girls to consider him not marriage material. I think his concerns are perfectly rational, but does comes kind of late.

Maybe in your circles. I know plenty of gals happily married to poor guys & plenty of people happily married (& they have children!) to partners that take psychiatric medicines. There are MANY factors that go into a successful marriage--and individuals rate those factors differently. If perfect health both physical & mental is his priority in a partner, than that's his choice. I suspect we all have our little irrational idiosyncrisies when selecting a spouse. But it's fair for him to consider what he would do in the future if he married & his spouse developed mental illness AND for him to tell that prospective spouse up front.

Maybe in your circles. I know plenty of gals happily married to poor guys & plenty of people happily married (& they have children!) to partners that take psychiatric medicines. There are MANY factors that go into a successful marriage--and individuals rate those factors differently. If perfect health both physical & mental is his priority in a partner, than that's his choice. I suspect we all have our little irrational idiosyncrisies when selecting a spouse. But it's fair for him to consider what he would do in the future if he married & his spouse developed mental illness AND for him to tell that prospective spouse up front.

You know I was pointing out that plenty of people would not marry someone for much less than mental illness. And the destructiveness of mental illness is on a family is self-evident, we don't even need to debate that point. His concern if fully rational and sound. I'm surprised that people trying to make him feel small for having second thoughts. The only thing I might question is what took so long, but that's it.

I would like some of you to be saddled with crippling clinical depression for a day and come back here and see what you have to say to the OP.

OP - be glad your GF found a medication regimen that works for her. That's more than a lot of people with mental illness can say. It makes sense to be concerned but to consider breaking up or trying to get her to stop meds because you are not comfortable with it - well that's just crazy.

You know I was pointing out that plenty of people would not marry someone for much less than mental illness. And the destructiveness of mental illness is on a family is self-evident, we don't even need to debate that point. His concern if fully rational and sound. I'm surprised that people trying to make him feel small for having second thoughts. The only thing I might question is what took so long, but that's it.

You left out a word....untreated. The destructiveness of untreated mental illness on a family is self-evident. Fortunately, that is NOT the case the OP is describing. In his case he is dating a woman whose mental illness IS being treated & controlled....I don't think its rational to make perfect health a deal-breaker, because NONE of us know when we might develop health problems in the future (well, certainly unhealthy habits can increase the chances, but everyone of us could develop health problems in the future, regardless of our lifestyle.) We are humans, we don't always make rational decisions and that's OK, but I don't think its OK to pretend a decision is rational when it isn't.

What would you do Xiphoid, if your wife developed a mental illness in the future? What would you do if you did? If your answer is something along the lines of "we'd work it out somehow", then why do you think people who were dating couldn't also "work it out somehow" and go on to have a happy marriage?

It makes sense to be concerned but to consider breaking up or trying to get her to stop meds because you are not comfortable with it - well that's just crazy.

Make her stop psych meds without MD supervisor is crazy, but I wouldn't consider breaking up to be crazy if the condition is permenent. Imagine what the risk to the baby would be post partum? What about genetic risk factor? Job problem and long term financial cost? The list goes on and on.

if you have to ask people on the student doctor forum, let alone yourself, i'm guessing your attachment to her isn't that solid. meds or not, go out there and find someone that isn't screwed up in the head from SOMEthing...treated or untreated...good luck on that. via online text this reply sounds a bit snarky, and i really don't mean for it to be..just serious. :/

You left out a word....untreated. The destructiveness of untreated mental illness on a family is self-evident. Fortunately, that is NOT the case the OP is describing. In his case he is dating a woman whose mental illness IS being treated & controlled....I don't think its rational to make perfect health a deal-breaker, because NONE of us know when we might develop health problems in the future (well, certainly unhealthy habits can increase the chances, but everyone of us could develop health problems in the future, regardless of our lifestyle.) We are humans, we don't always make rational decisions and that's OK, but I don't think its OK to pretend a decision is rational when it isn't.

What would you do Xiphoid, if your wife developed a mental illness in the future? What would you do if you did? If your answer is something along the lines of "we'd work it out somehow", then why do you think people who were dating couldn't also "work it out somehow" and go on to have a happy marriage?

Even treated and controlled mental illness destroy families. Just like a controlled diabetic will still have highs and lows, controll of mental illness is not make you perfectly normal.

If my wife develop mental illness then I will consider that one bad luck, and take care of her within reason. But I don't believe in going down with the ship, it serves no purpose to destroy more lives is better than one. If she cant be helped, i can only save what can be saved, like our son. My wife wouldn't want our family to come to ruin on her account. And I expect her to do the same if it happened to me.

But to get back to the point at hand, I wouldn't date or marry someone who is on those meds in the first place. Making a normal marriage work is already hard and risky enough, why would I set it up to fail? Why take a gamble that has no upside, just a bottomless downside?

But to get back to the point at hand, I wouldn't date or marry someone who is on those meds in the first place. Making a normal marriage work is already hard and risky enough, why would I set it up to fail? Why take a gamble that has no upside, just a bottomless downside?
Ugh. Really, xiphoid? I would be a good percentage of the people you know are on antidepressants and lead productive lives, work, have healthy children and a good marriage. Why are you assuming there is no upside?

I'm with Xiphoid on this one. Sure it's great that she's controlled now. But will it always be like that? What if there's a major life change such as moving, children, loss of job, etc? How will she react to that? Depression is contagious; it can be very hard to live with someone who is severely depressed and keep your own spirits up.

As for the long term effects, hard to say as they really haven't been around for long enough to give a complete answer. In my experience, SSRIs lose their effectiveness over time, or maybe it is just something age-related in the patients I've seen. Many patients who are on SSRIs since they first came out have eventually had their symptoms return and needed additional therapy after 10-15 years of treatment. No hard evidence here that I'm aware of, just anecdotal.

Of course she should not simply stop taking the meds due to risks from withdrawl and possible relapse of her condition. That's no good for anybody. You simply saying you don't want her on them is not a good reason for her to stop. Have you known what she was like before the medication? If you convince her to get off the meds, you might not like what/who you find.

Humanity somehow survived 1000's of years without antidepressants. We have lost our ability to cope with lifes difficulties aided by profiteering drug companies. Antidepressants have done more harm than good by greasing a slippery slope. Unless you feel a need to carry a heavier cross than others or take on more risk in life I think you should move on.

Even treated and controlled mental illness destroy families. Just like a controlled diabetic will still have highs and lows, controll of mental illness is not make you perfectly normal.

If my wife develop mental illness then I will consider that one bad luck, and take care of her within reason. But I don't believe in going down with the ship, it serves no purpose to destroy more lives is better than one. If she cant be helped, i can only save what can be saved, like our son. My wife wouldn't want our family to come to ruin on her account. And I expect her to do the same if it happened to me.

You sound as consolable as a rock. Hope you wife doesn't read these forums.

Humanity somehow survived 1000's of years without antidepressants. We have lost our ability to cope with lifes difficulties aided by profiteering drug companies. Antidepressants have done more harm than good by greasing a slippery slope. Unless you feel a need to carry a heavier cross than others or take on more risk in life I think you should move on.

Life wasn't the same back then. And people didn't live long either :)

We also used to think epilepsy was demonic possession. Now we have medication for that. What else used to be better before we used medication to treat it? I guess antibiotics are a waste also, we survived 1000's of years without penicillin. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Guess ole xiphoid2010 must ask women to bring a copy of their medical histroy to the first date. Wouldn't want to waste any time dating someone who might have an issue.

Guess ole xiphoid2010 must ask women to bring a copy of their medical histroy to the first date. Wouldn't want to waste any time dating someone who might have an issue.

C'mon, we all figure out what kind of major health issue the other person has very early on in a relationship. Needing psychoactive meds to function is a no-go for me, as it would be for a lot of people. We choose who we date. Would you date someone who needs a prosthetic limb? How about need Viagra to get it on? How about CF?

I am honest about my preferences and will make no apologies for them, unlike those who feel the need to be politically correct.

You sound as consolable as a rock. Hope you wife doesn't read these forums.

Actually my wife and I are very open to each other and talk about everything. Both pharmacists, health topics is at the top of the conversation list. On mental illness, she said she would dump me if I go off the deep end, sure it was half jokingly but I wouldn't be suprised or be offended. Maybe a little resentful if it really comes to pass, but I understand the logic. Going down with the ship may sound romantic but in reality that's just a needless waste.

I feel you. We all do have our preferences on what we find acceptable and not acceptable in a partner.

I do understand the downsides of a person having mental health issues, but I do not think they are all as terrible as you seem to make them. Not every person to ever be diagnosed with a mental health issue runs their life into the ground. Do some? Yes, but so do some "normal' people.

As for the OP:

Can you get over her wanting to stay on the meds? If not and this continues to be an issue, then, MH illness or not, this relationship is doomed. If you feel you will never be able to accept her wanting to stay on the med, then yes, you should break it off. As this will only lead to more arguements, which will lead to resentment.

I do understand the downsides of a person having mental health issues, but I do not think they are all as terrible as you seem to make them. Not every person to ever be diagnosed with a mental health issue runs their life into the ground. Do some? Yes, but so do some "normal' people.

Well, I have seen mental illness destroy families. My cousin, a jolly guy, good looking, successful, married this girl. She developed major depressive issues and wasn't fully stable even on meds. It made family life hell. Endless crying, arguing, she threatening to kill herself, getting admitted to the hospital... Few years of that, he finally filed for a divorce. But China's conservative divorce law, I don't know the details, but has something that make divorce someone during medical illness nearly impossible. With no end in sight to her condition, he's and their son is now stuck! He still put up a cheerful face when I last visited, but we all know he's miserable, stressed out, hair turned all grey...

Will that happen to everyone who's has major depressive disorder? Of course not. But don't make people who aren't willing to take a chance with that sound like the bad guys.

We also used to think epilepsy was demonic possession. Now we have medication for that. What else used to be better before we used medication to treat it? I guess antibiotics are a waste also, we survived 1000's of years without penicillin. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they also had no means to deal with real diseases like fibromyalgia, ADHD and social anxiety disorder back then also. Thank goodness for modern science.

Public sanitation and related health practices have done more to cut the rate mortality due to infectious diseases over the last ~100 years than antibiotics.

Public sanitation and related health practices have done more to cut the rate mortality due to infectious diseases over the last ~100 years than antibiotics.

And thank God for vaccination!

I agree with xiphoid2010 with this, even my therapeutics professor was telling us to ask the partner to test for diseases/illnesses, that can make or break a relationship. It wasnt always like this, but people are becoming more aware.

She's the same person on and off. Depressed people need lovin too. I don't have MDD, but I would imagine that breaking up with her isn't going to help her get off of the meds. I've had experience w PTs on Adderall and Trazodone stopping when they got preg and never took them again afterwards. Maybe you should ask her if she likes being on her meds and if she would like to stay on them for a long time