long term relatoinship...how long to wait...

jonny_little

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when you end a long term relationship..and its rough... how long do you think its apprproate ...liek a 3 yr relatoinship, and u meet someone really special soon after but... u feel like u'll never really forget the person because they were your whole life and left u.. and... things ended in a rough manner... how long do u think is an appropriate time frame?

Members don't see this ad.

Took me a few months (was 1 1/2 year relationship, though - and I knew the ending was a good thing)...right after I just felt like I needed to be on my own completely, no matter how awesome this new person was (and I did meet someone awesome two weeks after the breakup)...so few months, started dating, and are together a couple years later :) whenever you no longer feel like you're pushing yourself into something that you're not ready for...then you're ready :eek:

jonny_little said:
when you end a long term relationship..and its rough... how long do you think its apprproate ...liek a 3 yr relatoinship, and u meet someone really special soon after but... u feel like u'll never really forget the person because they were your whole life and left u.. and... things ended in a rough manner... how long do u think is an appropriate time frame?

It's different for everyone I guess, but when I finally got out of my almost 4 year relationship I was glad to be alone and thought that was what I would want for a long time. That wasn't what happened though. About 2 months later I met my boyfriend and we're still together 2 1/2 years later! It was hard at first. I wasn't sure if I was ready for another serious relationship, but I knew he was exactly what I wanted and we are really happy. I'm glad I let myself have this relationship. I'm so much more in love now than I ever was before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd have to agree with the others on this point. It varies from person to person. I called of an engagement (relationship of 3+ years), then met my now-husband a few months later. I hate to sound like a cliche, but when it's right, it's right. You don't need a timeline to tell you when you're ready to date again. Some friends have needed months, years between serious relationships, others wait mere days (or less!) before jumping into something new. To each his/her own, I guess.

jonny_little said:
when you end a long term relationship..and its rough... how long do you think its apprproate ...liek a 3 yr relatoinship, and u meet someone really special soon after but... u feel like u'll never really forget the person because they were your whole life and left u.. and... things ended in a rough manner... how long do u think is an appropriate time frame?[/QUOTT

There is no such thing is an appropriate time frame after the break up. No matter what the ending was you need to be true to yourself first and know for sure that you are ready to open your heart to someone else. It's normal to feel something for the person you had a relationship with but everyone needs closure. It is also important to feel good about yourself when you are single. Because if you only feel good about yourself when you are with someone then you will have problems with letting go of people and relationships no matter how good or bad they were. So take your time and be well...