Long time no science: anyone else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redgrover

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my last science course three and a half years ago and actually took the MCAT, though the score will be expiring very soon. I'm actually in law school and looking at dropping out to go back to med school, but I'm really not sure how long I need to prep for the MCAT.

Is anyone in a similar boat? I've been studying art history, French, jazz, and the law these past few years, so it's not exactly like I've been refreshing.

Just looking for some general adivce. It seems that Exam Krackers is the way to go from this site. There are six tests online (AAMC site?)? Any other good source for old practice tests? Which ones are actual MCATs, and which are the ones designed to scare you into studying?

And from taking the LSAT (and the MCAT) in the past, believe me, I know that practice exams are the way to go.

Thanks, guys!

Oh, one more question: how has the MCAT changed? I heard it was altered recently.

Members don't see this ad.

not quite the same question, crazee...

Most people here would probably recommend getting the complete Examkrackers study package. I have not used them personally, but I've heard nothing but good things. If you are pretty comfortable with the science basics, I would recommend trying to get ahold of some Princeton Review course materials (from here or ebay), which will be considerably cheaper than EK.

To see exactly where you stand now, before spending any money, take the free practice MCAT at e-mcat.org. It is the AAMC 3R test, and breaks down how well/poorly you perform in specific subjects. Afterwards, print out your results and evaluation, whether you do well or not, and determine what specific areas you need to work on. If you find yourself lacking in the sciences, I would suggest trying to find EK review books in those subjects. Try to also get ahold of more practice tests, namely AAMC. These are by far the most realistic. Any 'diagnostic' test, especially those administered by Kaplan or other testing services, are meant to scare you into wasting $1300.

I don't know how you did when you took it, but I would recommend something like Kaplan's MCAT 45... which offers the toughest questions in each section for practice. While those questions are unlikely to appear on the exam, being comfortable with solving the toughest problems will make the actual test cake.

Major changes to the MCAT (as of this april):

-3 organic questions replaced with DNA/genetics
-5 questions removed from the verbal reasoning section
-Change in order: Physical sciences is now first
-No more range verbal scores, so 15 is the highest

redgrover, I took the MCAT last year, 6 and some odd years after my last chem/bio/orgo/whatever courses. I practically had to relearn everything. I took the Princeton Review course, went to all classes, read all their books, attended their practice exams, but did not have time to do any homework or practice exams on my own.

It's also been more than a half dozen years for me since any science classes. I read a basic biology textbook (like a college freshman level text where all the examples on cellular metabolism say things like "when you're running late to class, your mitochondria make....") and then read the EK complete series a few times through. In combination with the AAMC practice tests, I was very happy with the results!

It's definitely possible to ace the MCATs even if you're out of the science loop. Just practice your exponents and stuff : )