Long time since clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vrazzles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE

Is it a huge detriment if a long time has passed since I engaged in direct clinical experience? I volunteered for 200 hours in a VA skilled nursing facility during freshman year, got my CNA certification, and took a paid job as a CNA in an underserved area during my sophmore year (500-600 hours). I will be applying three years out of college (2019-2020 application cycle)

Other Info:
3.95 sGPA and cGPA (regional, rural state uni)
524 MCAT
~400 hours of volunteering as a meals on wheels driver with the underserved elderly
~3500 hours of research between 2 labs, honors thesis, a presentation, a poster presented at 2 venues, and multiple 3rd author publications in middle impact journals (independent projects)
~250 hours of paid tutoring underserved peers (TRiO)
~50 hours of volunteer tutoring for veteran retention services
~100 hours gross anatomy lab internship
~100 hours shadowing mostly family and internal med both in clinic and hospital

Currently serving as a peace corps volunteer in an African country, where I teach advanced level chemistry and serve as vice chair of the grants committee

Trilingual (Russian, English, and an African language)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
...are you serious? I doubt you'll have a problem with your numbers and activities. Just make sure you can articulate why medicine and why you've gone down the route you'e currently on and how it can relate back to medicine and you'll be golden.
I also took a side trip from medicine, but felt like I didn't really explain how it tied with medicine too well and I'm sitting on all waitlists atm.

When was your shadowing completed?

Hi all,

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE

Is it a huge detriment if a long time has passed since I engaged in direct clinical experience? I volunteered for 200 hours in a VA skilled nursing facility during freshman year, got my CNA certification, and took a paid job as a CNA in an underserved area during my sophmore year (500-600 hours). I will be applying three years out of college (2019-2020 application cycle)

Other Info:
3.95 sGPA and cGPA (regional, rural state uni)
524 MCAT
~400 hours of volunteering as a meals on wheels driver with the underserved elderly
~3500 hours of research between 2 labs, honors thesis, a presentation, a poster presented at 2 venues, and multiple 3rd author publications in middle impact journals (independent projects)
~250 hours of paid tutoring underserved peers (TRiO)
~50 hours of volunteer tutoring for veteran retention services
~100 hours gross anatomy lab internship
~100 hours shadowing mostly family and internal med both in clinic and hospital

Currently serving as a peace corps volunteer in an African country, where I teach advanced level chemistry and serve as vice chair of the grants committee

Trilingual (Russian, English, and an African language)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
@mistafab

I would appreciate if you would remove your quote. I intend to delete this post later. It was last done a year and a half ago. I can't really shadow in Peace Corps.

Don't ever expect a "don't quote" to be respected. If you don't want something on the internet, don't post it. I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm just telling you how some jerks act here. If you don't say, "don't post" most people will just answer without quoting and then you can remove identifying information later.

You have volunteered, worked and shadowed. You've moved on to many other activities. You have exceptional grades and scores and have given 2 years of your life in service to others. Adcoms will be so dazzled that they won't care that it's been years since you've smelled patients.

Reactions: 1 users
You should be worried about which ivy you’re going to have to reject bc they will all be clamoring for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk