Longest continous study session

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longest study session you've ever completed

• 0-2 hours

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • 2-4 hours

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • 4-6 hours

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • 6+ hours

Votes: 140 75.3%

• Total voters
I went about 12-14 hours with a lunch/dinner and "pause" breaks in the middle.

i remember pulling doing 9pm-9am study sessions before each upper bio class exam. good cram session. bad crashes though...

took the tests, skipped the rest of the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is gonna become one of those SDN gunner "I'm more hardcore than you" contests, isn't it? :laugh:

I don't know what my record is but anything over 4/5 and I start reaching the point of diminishing return.

I want to believe those claiming over 12 hours of studying, but I think this poll should include the options "stimulant and "stimulant free" next to the hours :rolleyes:

I don't think writing a lab counts...but if so I have spent insane hours on that. >15-20 hours straight. That is what procrastination does kids!

But 6+ is about right. I think past that you stop to retain stuff. "Work" is different than "study" though.

2-4 hours, boy am I gonna fail in life!!!!

12 hours for most tests nowadays.

For a Therapeutics exam? Literally 18 hours straight, with 10 min breaks to eat, crap, or reprocess information.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to believe those claiming over 12 hours of studying, but I think this poll should include the options "stimulant and "stimulant free" next to the hours :rolleyes:

You just don't have the fear. If you have "the fear" your body is constantly producing an excellent stimulant. Also, I drink a lot of black coffee :laugh:

I did some ~13hr straights for orgo last year. Well, with breaks for dinner and getting snacks and peeing. haha. :oops:

I bet organic chemistry related study sessions will be very prevalent among the longest continuous study sessions.

Though these weren't strictly 'study sessions' I found myself programming into the wee hours of the night pretty frequently finishing up projects for my computer science classes.

not sure which cephalosporin you really want...the usual suspects are all different classes, like cipro, Bactrim, Macrobid...

Wants a cephalosporin for UTI? So we're talking pregnant and gram negative?
--

Looks like I was wrong. For some reason the 1st gens are given for UTI...maybe saving 3rd gens for later?

Por que?

MED SCHOOL?????? Omgz.... pharmacology! Is it weird that I get off thinking about beta-2 adrenergic receptors... AC/BD.... and holy hannah GPCRs are the most amazing things evaaaar.

Nerd Alert.

AB|CD. Unless you're not thinking about hypertension.

Last edited:
You can use ciprofloxacin in pregnant women. It was recently re-evaluated.

:eek:! I did not know this. I thought it was a no-no. I know it's used in CF kids for pseudomonal prophylaxis.

Have you prescribed it?

I did a post-bacc program, where essentially the pressure was to get A's or give up the dream. Needless to say I definitely pounded tons of caffeine and went 20 hours straight three times over the course of the two semesters... It was intense but I absolutely crushed those exams.. There is a certain thrill to having the endurance to out-study everybody in the library with the music blasting on your headphones while you absolutely crush every practice exam in front of you and feel the caffeine rush (although does having to urinate every hour count as a break?).:smuggrin:

To a pregnant woman with a UTI? Not since last month.... ;)

Wow. I'd definitely call you to verify if I saw Cipro for a pregnant female. Thanks for the heads up...do you have proof, btw, that it's been changed?

In grad school, two weeks before our qualifying exam, a couple friends and I locked ourselves up in a cabin in the mountains to study.

1 week straight, meal breaks and sleep. The 2nd week wasn't as intense, just review and practicing.

I think we've all pulled the allnighter in undergrad for certain courses.

Wow. I'd definitely call you to verify if I saw Cipro for a pregnant female. Thanks for the heads up...do you have proof, btw, that it's been changed?
While there are no controlled studies of ciprofloxacin use in pregnant women to show safety, an expert review of published data on experiences with ciprofloxacin use during pregnancy by TERIS - the Teratogen Information System - concluded that therapeutic doses during pregnancy are unlikely to pose a substantial teratogenic risk (quantity and quality of data = fair), but the data are insufficient to state that there is no risk4. However, there are no human data available to assess the effects of long-term therapy in pregnant women such as that proposed for treatment of anthrax exposure. Ciprofloxacin is excreted into breast milk but is considered as "usually compatible with breastfeeding" by the American Academy of Pediatrics.5
Friedman JM and Polifka JE. Teratogenic Effects of Drugs. A Resource for Clinicians (TERIS). Baltimore, MD: The Johns Hopkins University Press; 2000:149-195.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/EmergencyPreparedness/BioterrorismandDrugPreparedness/ucm130712.htm

It's still pregnancy C though. It's not your first-line agent, but it can be used.

19 hours... No break longer than 10 minutes to drive from library to house.

19 hours... No break longer than 10 minutes to drive from library to house.

For undergrad?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

It's not that weird... We have 24hr libraries and people bring blankets and hot chocolate. It's pretty common to be there for multiple sunrises with short shower breaks at the dorm.