Look Good So Far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eagle Scout

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I just finished my freshman year at a 4-year in Arkansas and am wanting an opinion on what I can do to get a stronger app. Right now, I'm a nuclear medicine technology major and have a 3.625 but that's mainly because of a rough second semester.

Fall 2010
Bio 1 - A
Chem 1 - A
Cal 1 - A
Writing 1 - A

Spring 2011
Bio 2 - B
Chem 2 - A
Cal 2 - B
Writing 2 - B

Fall 2011 I'm taking organic 1 and physics 1, with organic 2 and physics 2 next spring 2012. I'm hoping to take the MCAT that May. I'm supposed to be graduating a year early so I'd apply to enter med school in the fall of 2013. I'm wanting to volunteer throughout the year at a local hospital and shadow several doctors. I volunteered at the hospital in 8th grade but other than that, I don't really have any EC's besides being an eagle scout. Will that be enough or do I need to join other various clubs and such around campus?

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely need more EC's, including volunteering at a hospital, shadowing a physician, and participating in non-medical EC's. Also look for leadership roles. If you keep up your grades and get a good MCAT score too you should be golden, but just remember that grades and MCAT are just two pieces of the puzzle, you need to show them you have researched the medical career and are really passionate about it and about serving others.

I have a couple of physicians set up to shadow this fall including a nephrologist, pediatrician, and 2 in internal medicine (1 hospitalist, 1 outpatient). How many hours should I shadow each roughly?

With my schedule I should be able to get like 20 hours a week of volunteering next semester but that'd have to stop next spring because of studying for the MCAT.

Don't forget to get in a research experience and nonmedical community service (weekly to twice monthly; it would be ideal if you stay engaged with a local BS troop, maybe as a badge teacher), too. About 50 hours of physician shadowing is average. And 1.5 years of clinical experience gained at 3-4 hours per week is average.

Clubs don't help much except as a springboard to leadership or community service, but now that a "contact" is needed for hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors, joining a group rather than engaging in acitivies on one's own may get more common.

You have a lot to accomplish to develop an application that can compete with those attending college for an extra year. Graduate early if you must, but consider spending an extra year on EC enhancements so you will be equally competitive as those applying at the 'traditional' time.