looking for a good organic chem textbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laelialudisia

they misunderestimated me
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all, i am heading into the world of dentistry from my current career in corporate america.

i have been out of school for a couple of years and need to finish organic (both semesters) and anatomy to apply to dental school, along with the DAT of course. anyway, i am in need of a good organic textbook, if such a thing exists, b/c i will be teaching myself this wonderful subject until summer school starts, figure i need the early start given the fact that it has been a while ;)

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need anatomy for a D-school prereq. "Organic Chemistry" by Paula Yurkanis Bruice is a good text.

Would have given you mine if I didn't burn it :D Just Kidding. McMurry is readable and "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" is a helpful sumplement especially if you are trying to learn it by yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also recommend "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language". :thumbup: :thumbup:

Organic Chemistry by John McMurry, I used 6th edition in my classes and thought the book was very good. The solution manual for the book is written by his wife, Susan McMurry and helps a lot.

oldboy said:
You don't need anatomy for a D-school prereq. "Organic Chemistry" by Paula Yurkanis Bruice is a good text.

HAHA, I had her for O-chem at UCSB. Dr. Bruice knows her sh** about Ochem. And her book is pretty good. But for the DAT you don't need to relearn the whole textbook. Get a ochem review guide.

Organic Chemistry by T. W. Graham Solomons is sufficient to prepare you for DAT. Just get the older edition so you can save a few bucks.

oldboy said:

Check out "Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry, 5th" by Bettelheim. It's an easy read and as titled covers both basic organic and biochemistry. First half is orgo, second is biochem.

I too am a non-traditional student. Earned Business BS in 94. I definitely recommend anatomy, microbiology, biochemistry, etc. especially upper level courses. Believe me, adcoms look favorably on this. Just taking the basic prereqs is not enough to be competitive today, especially in our situation.

adr12 said:
Organic Chemistry by John McMurry, I used 6th edition in my classes and thought the book was very good. The solution manual for the book is written by his wife, Susan McMurry and helps a lot.

The book by John McMurry is very good. I owe my 29 in OC to this book. :D :D

oldboy said:

you do for UNC

laelialudisia said:
you do for UNC
No you don't, it is listed as one of the options to fulfill the general biology requirements, but is not a mandatory course.

it says, "One course must be (including laboratory) human anatomy or vertebrate zoology"

how does that not mean you have to take either anatomy or vertebrate zoology?

if you are right, i would be thrilled!! b/c it is the only school that specifically lists this. i have 2 semesters of general biology, 1 semester of cell bio AND 1 semester of genetics, not to mention the 2 semesters of general chem and physics, but i DO NOT HAVE organic OR anatomy/vertebrate zoology

it says, "One course must be (including laboratory) human anatomy or vertebrate zoology"

if you are right, i would be thrilled!! b/c it is the only school that specifically lists this. i have 2 semesters of general biology, 1 semester of cell bio AND 1 semester of genetics, not to mention the 2 semesters of general chem and physics, but i DO NOT HAVE organic OR anatomy/vertebrate zoology

Members don't see this ad :)
laelialudisia said:

I just looked at their website and I'm not sure now. Going by the ADEA Official Guide for Dental Schools I thought the requirement was 2 semesters of General Bio and that Vert Zoo or Anatomy were acceptable to fulfill that. After re-reading their website I'm unsure. I took General Zoology this semester and was planning on taking Cell Biology in the spring, my school uses these two courses to fulfill pre-med/dent general Bio requirements. I am going to call UNC tomorrow and ask if I should be taking Anatomy and Physiology instead of Cell Bio.

It will only help regardless where you apply and whether it's a prereq or not! Take it! It will also help you with your DAT.

billermo said:
It will only help regardless where you apply and whether it's a prereq or not! Take it! It will also help you with your DAT.
I'm in the military and can only get enough time off work to take one course w/lab, so I'll have to call UNC and see what they say. Univ. of West Florida, where I'm taking courses, has Human Anatomy/Phys listed as general studies for non-science majors as well, so I'm not sure that is what a dental school will be looking for.

cowsgomoo said:
The book by John McMurry is very good. I owe my 29 in OC to this book. :D :D

I also read McMurry's book. It's a great book.

i agree with using mcmurray. he was the Orgo prof at my undergrad, and he helped me out with studying for the orgo section of the DAT. he really understands how to explain complicated concepts in a simple, organized manner. i would also recommend his general chemistry book too.

edkNARF said:
i agree with using mcmurray. he was the Orgo prof at my undergrad, and he helped me out with studying for the orgo section of the DAT. he really understands how to explain complicated concepts in a simple, organized manner. i would also recommend his general chemistry book too.

I didn't know he teaches at UPENN. Thanks ;)

dat_student said:
I didn't know he teaches at UPENN. Thanks ;)

He doesn't. check the directory.

thanks everyone. i ordered the mcmurry textbook and solution book. i will let you know how it goes. i am planning to take organic over the summer, it will be crazy intense, but it will be over quickly, whew!

i am planning to teach myself as much of the material as possible before i start the class, so i can hit the ground running.

adr12 said:
I just looked at their website and I'm not sure now. Going by the ADEA Official Guide for Dental Schools I thought the requirement was 2 semesters of General Bio and that Vert Zoo or Anatomy were acceptable to fulfill that. After re-reading their website I'm unsure. I took General Zoology this semester and was planning on taking Cell Biology in the spring, my school uses these two courses to fulfill pre-med/dent general Bio requirements. I am going to call UNC tomorrow and ask if I should be taking Anatomy and Physiology instead of Cell Bio.

what did you find out?? i am taking it regardless, but i am still curious to know if they actually require it. i have heard that taking anatomy, physiology and biochem before you enter dental school gives you a HUGE leg up your first year.

laelialudisia said:
what did you find out?? i am taking it regardless, but i am still curious to know if they actually require it. i have heard that taking anatomy, physiology and biochem before you enter dental school gives you a HUGE leg up your first year.
Yes, it is required that one of them be vert zool or human anatomy. It seems that I'm o.k. because my general zoo will cover the vert zoo portion of the requirment. Good luck to you!