Employment & Professional Networking Looking for a job without any phys dis experience...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johann00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what my job prospects are w/o any phys dis experience. I chose to do my level 2 fieldwork placements in a school and in a mental health facility. Now that I'm job hunting, I'm nervous that my decision to avoid a physical disabilities placement was a huge mistake. I'd prefer to work in mental health (with kids if possible), but those jobs just seem few and far between. I'm so happy to be done with school, but would it be in my best interest to go get some phys dis experience so that I'm more marketable? What kinds of settings would be willing to take on a new grad without that experience; knowing that they'd likely have to train me in on a lot of things to begin with?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

Are you flexible, location-wise?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, setting-wise, I'm flexible. But I'm married with two kids, so I can't move.

The first obvious choice is to try to look for work at schools and mental health facilities since that is where you have your strongest experience. Once you've exhausted that arena, apply widely to other settings (try Indeed.com). Depending on the job market in your area, employers may be unconcerned about your specific level II experiences. If you are still struggling after that, you can try specifically looking for jobs in places that typically have a more difficult time recruiting OT staff, perhaps part time / PRN work at skilled nursing facilities or through rehab staffing agencies.

If you've passed the NBCOT test, you have at least enough knowledge to market yourself as a generalist. Don't sell yourself short just because you don't have a level II placement in a particular setting. Although you do not have level II experience that directly relates to phys dis, during an interview/on your resume you can identify examples of things you've done during your coursework or level I fieldwork that relate to these areas. Brush up on your knowledge by reading Pedretti and/or Radomski to feel more confident.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe at the place you did fieldwork II?... or a children's behavioral and psych inpatient treatment hospital/facility.