Looking for a little hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akakelsy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my grades for freshman/ half of sophomore year, and just looking for a bit of hope because after a year and a half of not knowing what to do with my life, I've decided that I want to actually try to get into medical somewhere, somehow after a few life experiences... Am I too late with my grades though? Thank you for those who reply!

Gen bio 1: C+ (Plan on retaking gen bio 1/2)
Gen Chem 1: C
Opera: A-
Rhet: A

Gen Bio II: C-
Gen Chem 2: C- retook A-
Biostats: A
Oral Rhet: A

ASL : A
Cell Physio: C
O Chem: W (taking in the summer)
O Chem Lab: B+
Gen Psych: A-

This spring semester I'm taking:

Genetics
Fundamentals of Ochem
ASL2
East Asian history

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are my grades for freshman/ half of sophomore year, and just looking for a bit of hope because after a year and a half of not knowing what to do with my life, I've decided that I want to actually try to get into medical somewhere, somehow after a few life experiences... Am I too late with my grades though? Thank you for those who reply!

Genetics
Fundamentals of Ochem
ASL2
East Asian history
My questions may sound harsh, but they are simply meant to be realistic. What makes you think you can get the grades you would need to get into medical school? You are not YET in such a deep hole that you need to abandon your pursuit of medicine, but why do you think you can do it? From your grades above, it seems you can't even get into B territory in a science class unless you take it more than once. What were you doing wrong, and what are you going to do to ensure all A's from now on? If you can't answer those questions, or have nothing better than "I am going to really try this time" as a response, don't take any more classes in science yet.

Make a plan, then make several contingency plans if the first ones don't work. The plan should be what you are going to do to get an A on your first try in every science class you take from now on. How are you going to study? How much time each week are you going to study for each class? What can you do if that turns out to not be enough? Who are you going to go to for help if you struggle on your own? These are all things you need to plan out and know before you start the class. If you bomb the first test, your response shouldn't be to START looking for help, and it shouldn't be to drop the class. Plan for your classes, expect them to be difficult and take a lot of work, be prepared to do the work needed for the A before you take the class, and get help, early and often.

If you still can't get A's after all that, you probably should look for another career, as already suggested. If you can get the A's, keep it up, don't slack off, and you will still have a shot. Good luck.

Genetics
Fundamentals of Ochem
ASL2
East Asian history
It would help to know your cGPA so far and how many credits you've taken.

To be realistic, you're going to need B+/As from here on out. B's simply aren't going to make you competitive.