Looking for a little Job help/advice

Started by tobie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tobie

When in doubt, open another pharmacy school
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Been unemployed for a few months, and was wondering if anyone had some advice that could help me. I have retail, home health/hospice, independant and compounding experience. I also speak fluent spanish. Licensed in 2 states, one of which is very saturated. I currently live in the north west. I have put out more applications, resumes, talked and tried to make new contacts.

With current cut backs many companies are doing and reimbursements getting lower, what else can I do? Like in the title, if anyone has some advice that could help or even encourage me, I would be in your debt.

--Tobie

"As always, have a nice day."
 
yes, I am more than willing to move. As i said, I have 2 state licenses. No company, at least not now with the job market, will hold a job or even offer a job while you spend the money and time to get licensed. well, maybe, if you have connections in high places. I think anyone in this sort of situation would get licensed in a state if there was a 100% or very close % chance of an offer. I don't think its smart to spend $1000+ in fees to gamble on a "chance."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yes, I am more than willing to move. As i said, I have 2 state licenses. No company, at least not now with the job market, will hold a job or even offer a job while you spend the money and time to get licensed. well, maybe, if you have connections in high places. I think anyone in this sort of situation would get licensed in a state if there was a 100% or very close % chance of an offer. I don't think its smart to spend $1000+ in fees to gamble on a "chance."

Well, I don't know if it would really be $1000 to get licensed in a new state. I suppose fees are variable from state to state, but wouldn't you really just have to pay the application fee and the fee for MPJE? I guess if I were really striking out in the 2 states, I would try to figure out what state would give me the best chance of gaining employment and try to get a license there. Otherwise I would look into rural areas in the 2 states that you do hold a license in.
 
I think your ability to speak Spanish will help in the rural Southwest. I would look to get TX, NM and/or AZ licenses and try to get a sleepy border town job. Those areas are hard to fill and your ability to speak Spanish will get you a closer look and if you ace the interview I don't think it should be too hard to land a job. I'd look first in El Paso, TX.
 
I think your ability to speak Spanish will help in the rural Southwest. I would look to get TX, NM and/or AZ licenses and try to get a sleepy border town job. Those areas are hard to fill and your ability to speak Spanish will get you a closer look and if you ace the interview I don't think it should be too hard to land a job. I'd look first in El Paso, TX.

+1 on TX gig. I'd get my foot in the door by going to an undesirable location and then transfer 👍
 
Well, I don't know if it would really be $1000 to get licensed in a new state. I suppose fees are variable from state to state, but wouldn't you really just have to pay the application fee and the fee for MPJE? I guess if I were really striking out in the 2 states, I would try to figure out what state would give me the best chance of gaining employment and try to get a license there. Otherwise I would look into rural areas in the 2 states that you do hold a license in.

It is certainly the better part of $1k for the states I've done it in.
 
There's a pharmacist shortage in the Phoenix metro area for walgreens right now. Your Spanish speaking ability would be an excellent plus.