Looking for a non-trad buddy!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McNursey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-trad pre-dental student..........I'm currently a nurse. I'm looking for someone else who answered the call of dentistry a little later like me...........I'm 23 and already have a bachelor's in nursing but am now pursuing dentistry. I am juggling work and in a week, also summer school AND studying for the DAT..... take the DAT in August. PM me if interested in keeping each other accountable and motivated! I want to apply to DS next year........that gives me time to make my application competitive....with upper level classes, volunteer, shadowing, etc. Anyway if you're interested in being my non-trad buddy, PM me......:D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am Juardine. I have decided to enter dental school reciently. My first choice have been medical school for the longest time. Since I am much older, 37, and want to have a life outside of medicine, I'm preparing for entry into dental school. I am planning on taking the DAT at the end of year. My first choice is Meharry Medical College because I am not required to take Organic Chemistry II to enter. It is so difficult working as a nurse and going to school. If I don't get accepted, I will take the Biochemistry course so I can have more choices in dental schools to apply to. I have a friend who graduated from their School of Dentistry and mentioned she had a good education. I will need to shadow a dentist and hope my nursing education and work experience will be competitive enough to get accepted. Hope we can keep in contact with each other.

I'm right in the middle of both of you at age 30 and I got in this year, finally. So, don't lose hope being non-traditional; it will happen for you if you are diligent and keep the grades up.

Also, I would suggest taking Organic Chemistry II no matter what. Don't place all your eggs in one school's basket because you will need the orgo II for almost any other school. What if you don't get in at your first choice but could have gotten in at another school? You just wasted one more year of your life if that happens.

The first year I applied, I only had the pre-requisites without a bachelor degree. Didn't really work out. 2nd year around I had an arsenal of science classes and my degree...I got in.

In short, bust a move and suffer the organic chemistry II wrath. Actually, I like II better than I.

Members don't see this ad :)
for the encouragement. I have a bachelor's but am going to apply next year so that I can take lots of upper level sciences and do some volunteer work and shadowing so that my application will be really competitive. I'm going to apply to several schools...........can't wait!

I'm right in the middle of both of you at age 30 and I got in this year, finally. So, don't lose hope being non-traditional; it will happen for you if you are diligent and keep the grades up.

Also, I would suggest taking Organic Chemistry II no matter what. Don't place all your eggs in one school's basket because you will need the orgo II for almost any other school. What if you don't get in at your first choice but could have gotten in at another school? You just wasted one more year of your life if that happens.

The first year I applied, I only had the pre-requisites without a bachelor degree. Didn't really work out. 2nd year around I had an arsenal of science classes and my degree...I got in.

In short, bust a move and suffer the organic chemistry II wrath. Actually, I like II better than I.

I'm a non-trad pre-dental student..........I'm currently a nurse. I'm looking for someone else who answered the call of dentistry a little later like me...........I'm 23 and already have a bachelor's in nursing but am now pursuing dentistry. I am juggling work and in a week, also summer school AND studying for the DAT..... take the DAT in August. PM me if interested in keeping each other accountable and motivated! I want to apply to DS next year........that gives me time to make my application competitive....with upper level classes, volunteer, shadowing, etc. Anyway if you're interested in being my non-trad buddy, PM me......:D

You'll get in. Being a nurse is a HUGE advantage. I was 34 when I got accepted. I was a business major. Had to take all my science prereqs while working. It shows character. Make sure you apply to programs that are non-trad friendly. Not all schools are. Louisville is a good one. We have a bunch of non-trad students in our class. In fact, the #1 ranked student is actually a music major!

I will be 30 when I start D-school in about 6 wks. I am a physician assistant, currently, and have been practicing for 5 yrs. I considered med school, but I felt more passionate about dentistry than I did medicine. (Although, I still contend that there is not a significant difference between medicine and dentistry!) I was working over 40 hours a week last year, taking Organic Chem II, and studied for the DAT, so I know what you are going through, I know the frustration, but I will tell you that it can be done.

So, go for it, and good luck!

(Although, I still contend that there is not a significant difference between medicine and dentistry!)

Wait until you start prepping teeth, casting crowns, pouring casts, mounting casts, placing teeth. Hours and hours of lab work during school. MDs don't deal with this during school. There's a huge difference, at least while in school. Let me know your thoughts after your first year. :)

You'll get in. Being a nurse is a HUGE advantage. I was 34 when I got accepted. I was a business major. Had to take all my science prereqs while working. It shows character. Make sure you apply to programs that are non-trad friendly. Not all schools are. Louisville is a good one. We have a bunch of non-trad students in our class. In fact, the #1 ranked student is actually a music major!

Thanks for inspiration! :)

Wait until you start prepping teeth, casting crowns, pouring casts, mounting casts, placing teeth. Hours and hours of lab work during school. MDs don't deal with this during school. There's a huge difference, at least while in school. Let me know your thoughts after your first year. :)

I was referring more to practice than to school. We all do an H&P, order studies, diagnose, treat (surgery and/or medication), etc.

23 is not "late"!! I'll probably be 26 when I start dental school...and I will hurt anyone that calls me old.

One thing is for certain, life has an amazing way of preparing us and equipping us to do fulfill our. That could be from hour to hour, day to day, or lifetime to lifetime! Whatever the case, today is your time to chase your dreams. Just be grateful with the process and opportunity and you will do fine. I am 28 and going to dental school as of this month. No other time could have been perfect having stood out of school for 6 years post undergrad. I am grateful to have some great opportunities in medical research and traveling to many countries. Keep the faith! Today is your day!