antmon

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
10
0
Status (Visible)
Hey
How’s everyone, doing good I hope. I just wanted to get some input on any programs that a laid back, "go with the flow" individual like myself could do a sub-I. Right now, my advisor only recommends UNC and strangely goes deaf when asked about other programs. Any flashing sign s in the right direction would be immensely appreciated

Thanks ahead of time
Oh yea I am interested in community based programs
 

flop

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
18
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
It would help if you could be more specific in terms of locations. There are many great programs to rotate at so it's kind of impossible to give you advice without a particular region. My fiance went through this process last year so I do know something about what she liked and disliked.
 

bobbyseal

Boat boy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2003
663
14
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
antmon said:
Hey
How’s everyone, doing good I hope. I just wanted to get some input on any programs that a laid back, "go with the flow" individual like myself could do a sub-I. Right now, my advisor only recommends UNC and strangely goes deaf when asked about other programs. Any flashing sign s in the right direction would be immensely appreciated

Thanks ahead of time
Oh yea I am interested in community based programs

When you say "laid back, go with the flow" what exactly do you mean? Urology is certainly a different field than general surgery, but don't think that it's an easy field. If you do a sub-I expect to work hard. The attendings know that their letter of recommendation can make or break your application to residency. So you've got to realize that sub-i's are rigorous.

Honestly, if you're looking to do an away rotation go to a place where you can stay for free. I stayed with my aunt and uncle for a month when I did my away rotation during medical school. That worked out pretty well for me.

Good luck.
 
About the Ads

antmon

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
10
0
Status (Visible)
bobbyseal said:
When you say "laid back, go with the flow" what exactly do you mean? Urology is certainly a different field than general surgery, but don't think that it's an easy field. If you do a sub-I expect to work hard. The attendings know that their letter of recommendation can make or break your application to residency. So you've got to realize that sub-i's are rigorous.

Honestly, if you're looking to do an away rotation go to a place where you can stay for free. I stayed with my aunt and uncle for a month when I did my away rotation during medical school. That worked out pretty well for me.

Good luck.
When I say I am a laid back guy I simple mean I don't get stressed out easily. Moreover, I know that urology is not easy thats why I love it, I just don't want to do a sub I at a malignant program .I Apologize If my original post was too vague. So, let me be a little more specific. As far as Location goes I have no real family left alive and no particular ties to any part of the country so any program in any region is game; but I tend to like the south east, Texas, St. Louis, and D.C. And what I am looking for is basicly what have people heard or think of the programs in these areas.
 

bobbyseal

Boat boy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2003
663
14
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
antmon said:
When I say I am a laid back guy I simple mean I don't get stressed out easily. Moreover, I know that urology is not easy thats why I love it, I just don't want to do a sub I at a malignant program .I Apologize If my original post was too vague. So, let me be a little more specific. As far as Location goes I have no real family left alive and no particular ties to any part of the country so any program in any region is game; but I tend to like the south east, Texas, St. Louis, and D.C. And what I am looking for is basicly what have people heard or think of the programs in these areas.

Gotcha.

I think it's important to do a sub i at a place where you can excell and get a good letter for your application. In general most urology programs aren't particularly malignant. Strong places in the southeast include UNC as you said before, Vandy, Duke, and Miami. Of course in St Louis there's Wash U. In Texas you've got Baylor and UT Southwestern. DC isn't a particularly strong place but Georgetown carries a good rep.

I've never rotated at any of these programs, but I know they're strong from what I've heard from friends and colleagues. I'm not sure as to how malignant they can be to students. But, you know you're only there for a month during a rotation. Anyone can handle anything for 4 weeks time.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.