Looking for Advice for Match Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JLarry8900

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for posting this, but it's been a rough day, it's late at night, and I guess I'm just looking for some positive advice. Med school has been tough, and now I’m at the end of my third year, and I don’t know if I’m screwed, or not. I go to a top 5 med school, with a great reputation, but my third year rotations haven’t been spectacular. I’ve got a few HP’s but everything else is passes. No honors. I scored a 224 on Step 1. I also don’t have any real EC’s. I did a research project in Anesthesia, but it didn’t amount to any pubs (PI just sort of gave up on it). It’s not that I haven’t tried. It’s been hard just to get the scores that I’ve gotten. I study a lot, as does everyone else, but it is what it is. At this point, I just want to eventually get back to my home state of Indiana. I currently want to do Anesthesiology, but I’m also thinking about EM and PM&R, maybe a fellowship in IM (cardio would be my preferred choice). I’m looking to do my residency in either Indiana, Chicago, or Wisconsin. I’m guessing Chicago since it has the most programs. I haven’t done an away rotation, as people have told me that it might hurt me, rather than help me. I’m not sure why I’m posting this. It’s been a rough week, and I guess I just want to know what people think my chances are for these specialties in the region that I want to apply to, particularly Anesthesiology, cardio or EM? Thanks for any help at all guys.

EDIT: I should mention that my med school isn't in the midwest.

Members don't see this ad.

The first thing you need to do is decide on a specialty.

I am a DO student who matched this year to an ACGME EM program with similar step 1 scores. If you want to do EM, you need to schedule a couple of rotations at places that have a residency program to obtain a SLOE (standardized letter of evaluation). EM programs won't accept regular LORs and they put a lot of weight on the SLOE. You'll want to have those done ideally by when ERAS opens.

I can't help much with the other specialties but I don't think that you're totally a lost cause. Good luck!

In general you have numbers probably roughly equivalent to the average for EM and IM, maybe a bit below average for anesthesia. You also are interested in moving to a traditionally "less desirable" region of the country. To be honest, as long as you play the fourth year game correctly and have no major red flags, I think you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, you should have no trouble matching any of those fields in an area like Indiana. Your stats are about average for most of them, and probably above average for all of them in less desirable areas like the midwest.

You definitely need to figure out what field you actually want and then go for it. Advice for away rotations will vary between fields, so pick your field and then get some field-specific advice on how to best more forward.

What do you guys think are my chances of matching into ANY program in these fields in Chicago?

I don't understand what this means.
There is a belief that since my school has a great reputation, it's better to just let that reputation speak for me. If I go there and make a bad impression or dissapoint them, then an away rotation will only end up hurting me.

Reactions: 1 users
That's sort of an odd thought process, unless you are clinically deficient.

I think the point is that it's a lot easier to make a memorable mistake than it is to make a memorable impression. If you don't have to do an away rotation, then it's better to just save yourself the cost and the time involved. I've heard upperclassmen say that generally you look better on paper than in person. Also I've heard that doing an away to open up a region tends not to work so well although it does seem to help your chances of obtaining an interview at that specific program, even if it is just for courtesy reasons

Last edited:
What do you guys think are my chances of matching into ANY program in these fields in Chicago?
about 100%, assuming you don't have a criminal record. the specialties you mentioned are not competitive, and coming from a "top 5" school, you'll be fine.

about 100%, assuming you don't have a criminal record. the specialties you mentioned are not competitive, and coming from a "top 5" school, you'll be fine.
Even Anesthesia and EM? I know Chicago has a good mix of high, mid, and low tier Anesthesia programs, but EM programs there are pretty tough, I thought. Well, either way, I'm more interested in Anesthesia and Cardio than I am EM. PM&R too.

Actually, that was the same advice my class received 5 years ago. For specialties of average or a little above average competitiveness (eg general surgery), doing an away rotation is not the norm, and it's not expected. You lose a lot of the home advantages when you go to a new institution for one month. You'll fumble for the first few days or week. You don't know where the supplies/ER/OR etc are. You don't know any of the residents or attendings. Etc etc. we were told to do away rotations only if we thought the program of interest was a reach, and the away would serve as an opportunity to make an unattainable program attainable. In that case, it can't really hurt since your chances were low to begin with, an away can only help.

I understand for more competitive fields/programs away rotations are essentially required, so overcoming the above mentioned obstacles is part of the process that most or all applicants go through.

Reactions: 2 users

If an average to above-average applicant is looking to go into a not-very-competitive field, especially from a strong school, it's commonly thought to be better to avoid aways. Prospective programs get to know you on paper and during one interview day, when it's easier to impress. As opposed to giving them a whole month to see you screw something up, or become less than 100% enthusiastic, etc. Since you're in a specialty where aways are basically required you may not have encountered this advice. It definitely applies in my field.

Even Anesthesia and EM? I know Chicago has a good mix of high, mid, and low tier Anesthesia programs, but EM programs there are pretty tough, I thought. Well, either way, I'm more interested in Anesthesia and Cardio than I am EM. PM&R too.

Meet with people from your institution from the fields you're interested in, and get some really advice. Get an appraisal of your candidacy in each discipline and than decide what interests you the most/ how much risk you're willing to take. Then apply.

As others have said, doors aren't closed, and Wisconsin/Indiana are less desirable than national average. Chicago is a little more appealing to people.

Meet with people from your institution from the fields you're interested in, and get some really advice. Get an appraisal of your candidacy in each discipline and than decide what interests you the most/ how much risk you're willing to take. Then apply.

As others have said, doors aren't closed, and Wisconsin/Indiana are less desirable than national average. Chicago is a little more appealing to people.
Yeah, it's just tough at my school. Everyone is just fixated on top programs, and that's what they think you mean when you ask them. When I told them my preferential region for residency, they just ask, "Northwestern or UChicago?"