Looking for advice for probable reapplication (DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nevergosu

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am a current applicant (Asian, CA resident, 3.2 cGPA/3.15 sGPA, 507 MCAT >>> 512 Retake, 3000+ hours as a medical scribe, ~1000 hours as clinical research coordinator w/ no pub ). My school list consisted of 25 DO schools. So far, I received only one interview invite, which led to a waitlist =(. As I have not heard from any other schools, I have decided that it is time to prepare for a second application cycle.

I'm pretty sure I need to address my low GPA to prove that I can handle the medical school curriculum. My question is, what is my next move here? My current thought process is to leave my job and dedicate myself to a year of DIY post-bacc CC classes before applying again. However, I am also considering SMP's and Master's programs geared towards GPA-boosting and am confident that I would do well.

Feeling quite lost again, and I could really use some advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I am really surprised you did not get more invites. Your GPA is low, but it should still be competitive for DO schools especially with your MCAT. I have to assume your essays factored into this, it’s the only explanation I have. I would rewrite all your essays and upload them to SDN for feedback. Also, submit your application on day 1. If you don’t have any non-clinical volunteering I would try to get involved, but I don’t know how volunteering will play out with Covid

Reactions: 1 user
I would say DIY post-bacc. SMPs are expensive and also risky cuz if you screw it up you're basically done for. How are your service hours?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Smp is a risky option because you always have to beat the m1 curve. They only need to pass their classes whereas you must score consistently 80%+ for a chance. For DO the post bacc is a less costly and less risky route. With a couple semesters of retakes you could probably get your gpa to 3.3 and that will definitely get you more interviews. You can do them at CC too. I did ~40 post back credits at CC and this was never addressed negatively

Smp is a risky option because you always have to beat the m1 curve. They only need to pass their classes whereas you must score consistently 80%+ for a chance. For DO the post bacc is a less costly and less risky route. With a couple semesters of retakes you could probably get your gpa to 3.3 and that will definitely get you more interviews. You can do them at CC too. I did ~40 post back credits at CC and this was never addressed negatively
I just discovered this thread and am in the same boat, but have yet to take the mcat. Can I ask what schools you applied to?

I just discovered this thread and am in the same boat, but have yet to take the mcat. Can I ask what schools you applied to?
Apply to every DO school where you meet the gpa cutoff esp where you meet the mission statement. MCAT will open many doors that may have been closed previously. It’s now the most important exam a doctor will take in his/her career due to recent P/F step 1/level 1 changes.

Hello everyone!

I am a current applicant (Asian, CA resident, 3.2 cGPA/3.15 sGPA, 507 MCAT >>> 512 Retake, 3000+ hours as a medical scribe, ~1000 hours as clinical research coordinator w/ no pub ). My school list consisted of 25 DO schools. So far, I received only one interview invite, which led to a waitlist =(. As I have not heard from any other schools, I have decided that it is time to prepare for a second application cycle.

I'm pretty sure I need to address my low GPA to prove that I can handle the medical school curriculum. My question is, what is my next move here? My current thought process is to leave my job and dedicate myself to a year of DIY post-bacc CC classes before applying again. However, I am also considering SMP's and Master's programs geared towards GPA-boosting and am confident that I would do well.

Feeling quite lost again, and I could really use some advice!
I would recommend an SMP program where you can get a spot if you achieve a certain GPA. Also you should apply to DO schools. Your GPA will keep you out of MD schools. Average GPAs at most US MD schools are around 3.7.