Looking for advice on what to do Postbac vs. SMP vs. ???

Started by rafterman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rafterman

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've been trying to weed through all of this information to see what I should do. I applied to a few med schools this year, 3 NJ schools and some others. Definitely not expecting to get in, so I may as well look to what's ahead. My grades are in the file I attached. I did not do well initially, but most if not all of my upper level bio courses I aced. At the end, I'm left with a cGPA of 3.04 or 3.25 (not sure, there's 2 cGPA's on the excel sheet) and a sGPA of 2.94. What I'm confused with is what to do. MCAT is a 28. I've taken it three times.

Retake those courses that I did poorly in which I know I can ace (bio I and II, chem I and II, and ochem I, got an A- in ochem II) or do an SMP? I'd rather put a lot of effort in and get whatever I have to do, done quickly. I've been working as lab technician for the last two years, and need to get something going with my life. Just don't want to keep biding my time.

Thanks!
 

Attachments

So I've been trying to weed through all of this information to see what I should do. I applied to a few med schools this year, 3 NJ schools and some others. Definitely not expecting to get in, so I may as well look to what's ahead. My grades are in the file I attached. I did not do well initially, but most if not all of my upper level bio courses I aced. At the end, I'm left with a cGPA of 3.04 or 3.25 (not sure, there's 2 cGPA's on the excel sheet) and a sGPA of 2.94. What I'm confused with is what to do. MCAT is a 28. I've taken it three times.

Retake those courses that I did poorly in which I know I can ace (bio I and II, chem I and II, and ochem I, got an A- in ochem II) or do an SMP? I'd rather put a lot of effort in and get whatever I have to do, done quickly. I've been working as lab technician for the last two years, and need to get something going with my life. Just don't want to keep biding my time.

Thanks!

GPA really isn't competitive enough for top-end SMP programs and your transcript doesn't exactly show stellar upper level division performance. I would apply broadly to post-bacc programs that have linkages with direct entry programs (many DO schools, some MD schools). If you get accepted into one that you like, accept and enroll and work your ass off. If not, I would do a custom post-bacc at a school you can afford while working to improve your MCAT grades. By re-doing your core sciences, maybe it'll boost your MCAT on your 4th try.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Disagree - I say do an SMP, re-take the MCAT; and rock both

And applying to med school with either cGPA was a waste of time

*edit - tho having taken the MCAT 3 times and still only at a 28 doesn't bode well. US MD will never touch you with that MCAT and GPA combo, you might get a look at a DO school (esp if you do an SMP at a DO school), and then there is always the Carib as a last resort if you want to start school ASAP*

**2nd edit (Sorry) - Your GPA changes each time you post on SDN.... so either you are trolling or you need to actually figure out what your GPA is (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=914562)**
 
Last edited by a moderator: