looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stupibname

king of finite spaces
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if some of the sage members of this board can give me some advice about when I should take the MCAT. I am currently a freshman right now and came into college with 5s in AP Chem, Bio, Calc, and physics B. I took the credit for the intro courses, and am taking physics I and II, Cell Bio, and Analytical chem this year. So my question is, should I

a. Study this coming semester for the MCATs (spring semester is relatively light for me) and ensure that I don't forget too much of the Bio/Chem/Phys from high school

b. Study for it over the summer the take it in August

c. Wait until the summer of 2007 after I have taken a year of organic next year.

I am under the impression, perhaps wrongly so, that I could do fine by learning the necessary Orgo stuff on my own next semester. I took 3 years of chem in high school and senior year was IB Chem HL so I learned basic level Orgo (naming, reductions, a few reaction mechanisms). Anyway, anyone who has taken the test, what do you suggest? I took one of the practice tests and the orgo was not too bad, however, I have heard the extent of the orgo in the Bio section fluctuates from exam to exam. Basically what this boils down to is... Is keeping the info fresh better than learning all the info for the test... sadly I have to chose one or the other I think :(

Members don't see this ad.

stupibname said:
I was wondering if some of the sage members of this board can give me some advice about when I should take the MCAT. I am currently a freshman right now and came into college with 5s in AP Chem, Bio, Calc, and physics B. I took the credit for the intro courses, and am taking physics I and II, Cell Bio, and Analytical chem this year. So my question is, should I

a. Study this coming semester for the MCATs (spring semester is relatively light for me) and ensure that I don't forget too much of the Bio/Chem/Phys from high school

b. Study for it over the summer the take it in August

c. Wait until the summer of 2007 after I have taken a year of organic next year.

I am under the impression, perhaps wrongly so, that I could do fine by learning the necessary Orgo stuff on my own next semester. I took 3 years of chem in high school and senior year was IB Chem HL so I learned basic level Orgo (naming, reductions, a few reaction mechanisms). Anyway, anyone who has taken the test, what do you suggest? I took one of the practice tests and the orgo was not too bad, however, I have heard the extent of the orgo in the Bio section fluctuates from exam to exam. Basically what this boils down to is... Is keeping the info fresh better than learning all the info for the test... sadly I have to chose one or the other I think :(

Absolutely do not take the MCAT before you have taken orgo. More complex orgo than nomenclature and high school level stuff is on the test, and sometimes it is a big component of the biological sciences section. Once you have finished college orgo, spend a summer studying for the MCAT, and take it in August.

Besides, MCAT scores are only good for three years, and so if you take it too early it may preclude various post-college options, (Masters, peace corps, etc.) should you be so inclined, as you would have to retake it again.

After Orgo.

The exam becomes much simpler after you see the whole picture in the sciences and you are not close to that yet.