Looking for anecdotal evidence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElzieRatacus

Reaction score
I've been having various conversations with the Dean of my school about our overall GPA and how it compares to other schools. (We may be looking to make changes to our curriculum and some other related things). There is no official data to support the deflation or inflation of GPA at specific schools and so out of curiosity I told him I would make a post on here just to see what other students have to say about GPA's at their respective schools. If you wouldn't mind posting which school you go to and your estimate for where the 50% class ranking would fall in terms of GPA that would be very helpful to me.

Some examples I have so far based on peoples best guesses/different years:
  • Illinois ~ 2.9, 2.8
  • Tuskegee ~ 3.0, 3.1
  • WSU is P/F
  • Mississippi ~ 3.4
  • Canadian UCVM >3.2
  • Wisconsin ~3.25
  • Auburn ~3.3
  • UTK ~3.53

Feel free to comment even if you see someone has already commented from your school. Again, this is just informal, anecdotal and not a scientific review. I would really just appreciate some input on this - it isn't meant to spark a debate about school curriculum's, GPA's or anything of the sort. This is simply our curiosity.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've been having various conversations with the Dean of my school about our overall GPA and how it compares to other schools. (We may be looking to make changes to our curriculum and some other related things). There is no official data to support the deflation or inflation of GPA at specific schools and so out of curiosity I told him I would make a post on here just to see what other students have to say about GPA's at their respective schools. If you wouldn't mind posting which school you go to and your estimate for where the 50% class ranking would fall in terms of GPA that would be very helpful to me.

Some examples I have so far:
  • Illinois ~ 2.9
  • Tuskegee ~ 3.0

Feel free to comment even if you see someone has already commented from your school. Again, this is just informal, anecdotal and not a scientific review. I would really just appreciate some input on this - it isn't meant to spark a debate about school curriculum's, GPA's or anything of the sort. This is simply our curiosity.
WSU doesnt have a GPA as we are on a pass fail system. For things like residency and scholarships you get your class rank to input for those applications.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I go to Mississippi State and my class rank in the 4th year is the 50% mark (49/91). My GPA is 3.4.

I go to Mississippi State and my class rank in the 4th year is the 50% mark (49/91). My GPA is 3.4.

Thank you!! I have a followup question for you. Do you have graded clinical rotations or are they pass/fail?

Thank you!! I have a followup question for you. Do you have graded clinical rotations or are they pass/fail?

All of our rotations are graded except for ICU (P/F). Externships are counted as P/F but ACRs are not.

Reactions: 1 user

Some examples I have so far:
  • Illinois ~ 2.9
  • Tuskegee ~ 3.0

Where did you get a 2.9 for the 50%tile for Illinois?

Reactions: 1 user
An Illinois student c/o 2021. If you have something different to add from c/o 2019 by all means, please do!

An Illinois student c/o 2021. If you have something different to add from c/o 2019 by all means, please do!
It's going to be different for each class honestly. We have so few GPA opportunities (9 to be exact) that having a particularly academic class (or the opposite) will make a difference. No real point in estimating to be honest, especially when someone sitting right at the 50% mark throughout all of vet school could fail his/her very last test and drop by 30 rank spots. Our system is too jacked to be considered next to other curricula :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if Canadian schools are useful for you, but we are AVMA accredited so probably similar.

My own stats are not that helpful but at a ~3.2, I am 25/34 class rank. So our 50% is somewhere above that, no idea if close or far hahaha. This is at UCVM, 2020.

I don't know if Canadian schools are useful for you, but we are AVMA accredited so probably similar.

My own stats are not that helpful but at a ~3.2, I am 25/34 class rank. So our 50% is somewhere above that, no idea if close or far hahaha. This is at UCVM, 2020.

It is actually, thank you!

Yeah, Illinois GPA means nothing. You could have a 2.0 (depending on the year) and be sitting at a 79%. Your 2.0 is considered the same as someone who has squeaked by with a 70%, but your rankings will be different.

Our shenanigans is based on our precentage, not our GPA.

Yeah, Illinois GPA means nothing. You could have a 2.0 (depending on the year) and be sitting at a 79%. Your 2.0 is considered the same as someone who has squeaked by with a 70%, but your rankings will be different.

Our shenanigans is based on our precentage, not our GPA.
Plus the fact that the people in the 20-60 range rank-wise probably have nearly identical (if not actually identical) GPAs.

Reactions: 1 users
SGU here. We don't get graded in clinics even if the students at where we do our rotations do. Our GPA's are set after our 3rd year. Not sure where my class is but I'd reckon it is ~3.5 for 50th percentile. From speaking with people on internship/residency selection committees they already know there's a difference between the different schools in terms of GPA calculation (Illinois always get brought up lol.) It's folly to compare 4.0 GPA scales across schools. That's why they place more emphasis on class rank since you're really competing against the students in your own program.