Looking for Bilingual Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pepperplant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all- I am putting together my residency application, and I really want a program that has a high percentage of Spanish speaking patients. (I am bilingual, and I want to practice bilingually) This doesn't seem like a fact that programs advertize. Other than the obvious (border states) where should I be looking? Any other tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Inner city hospitals in areas near neighborhoods with a large Spanish-speaking population, even if they are farther north. For example, there are many patients at my university's hospital that are either Spanish speaking only or speak English as a second language. I'm not sure if any of the other residency programs in the city have as large of a Spanish speaking population, but I doubt it, given the proximity Temple has to the area I think those patients primarily live. Einstein might be close.

I am sure the same could be said for many hospitals in NYC and any other number of larger cities. Good luck to you!

I've done rotations in a lot of different parts of the country and being bilingual has helped in every single area. It actually might be better to go to places that aren't typically known for having a high hispanic population (they probably do anyway) because you may be one of the only people there that speak Spanish and it is absolutely needed.

Reactions: 1 user