Looking towards residency application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr.mkitty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get the opinion of those who know better than I with regards to making sure I allow myself a shot at getting into a solid Obgyn residency. Thanks in advance to anyone that cares to throw their hat into the ring of advising!

I'm a male student with a 255+ on Step 1 looking at going into Obgyn. I attend a Mid-tier medical school and will be in the top 1/3 of my class. I did a small amount of research in college and am likely doing an Obgyn research project this year. My main question is, how much more should I be doing? I enjoy having a life in medical school, so am not eager to pump on a lot more research just for the sake of competitiveness (I'm not a huge research buff but would like to have the experiences).

Additionally, how many letters of rec are currently suggested? I've heard 1 from the OBgyn chair, 1 from another OBgyn physician, and 2 from outside clerkships.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to get the opinion of those who know better than I with regards to making sure I allow myself a shot at getting into a solid Obgyn residency. Thanks in advance to anyone that cares to throw their hat into the ring of advising!

I'm a male student with a 255+ on Step 1 looking at going into Obgyn. I attend a Mid-tier medical school and will be in the top 1/3 of my class. I did a small amount of research in college and am likely doing an Obgyn research project this year. My main question is, how much more should I be doing? I enjoy having a life in medical school, so am not eager to pump on a lot more research just for the sake of competitiveness (I'm not a huge research buff but would like to have the experiences).

Additionally, how many letters of rec are currently suggested? I've heard 1 from the OBgyn chair, 1 from another OBgyn physician, and 2 from outside clerkships.

You should be getting advice from a faculty advisor regarding your application. You are not giving out much detail about your overall application and you do not want someone giving you bad advice.

Reactions: 1 user