Looking for clarification on last 36/45 calculations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c0smopolitan

c/o 2023
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've tried searching for an answer about this for a while (even emailed VMCAS) but they were unable to provide a helpful answer. My IS is MSU (Michigan), so they look at last 36, however, I plan on applying to a few schools that take last 45 into consideration. I had 23 credits this semester, 15 credits next semester, and 16 credits over the summer. This comes out to 54 credits, so does that mean my last 45 will actually be a last 54? If not, will it be capped at 45 and use the most useful courses (science GPA courses rather than Ogen-eds) towards the last 45? If so, how would the GPA be calculated for last 36, would it be the 16+15 credits and then a combination of another 2-3 classes to reach 36? Is it based on what will be counted towards science GPA? If so, this semester I had 8 credits that are technically used towards science GPA. I hope these questions make sense- please let me know if I can clarify. I appreciate everyones help here!

Members don't see this ad.

Typically is the combined GPA of however many semesters it takes to get to the last 45 or last 36, so even if that ends up being more (like the 54 you mentioned), that is what they use

Reactions: 1 user
Typically is the combined GPA of however many semesters it takes to get to the last 45 or last 36, so even if that ends up being more (like the 54 you mentioned), that is what they use
As far as last 36 calculations would work, if I'm say 5 credits shy from my last two semesters, how does that extra 5 credits get chosen/added in? This definitely helps clarify last 45 at least!

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as last 36 calculations would work, if I'm say 5 credits shy from my last two semesters, how does that extra 5 credits get chosen/added in? This definitely helps clarify last 45 at least!
I'm pretty sure it works the same :shrug: So they would include the previous semester. You could always call/email the admissions department and ask them though.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty sure it works the same :shrug: So they would include the previous semester. You could always call/email the admissions department and ask them though.
I just sent an email, thanks so much!

^^^yep it works the same. They take the whole semester that gets you to or above 36 or 45 credits. They don’t just pick and choose what courses count for it. For MSU though, they only require that you have above a 3.0 in prereq and last 36 and then your gpa isn’t factored into interview offers OR admissions decisions. Once you meet that minimum, you’re good.

^^^yep it works the same. They take the whole semester that gets you to or above 36 or 45 credits. They don’t just pick and choose what courses count for it. For MSU though, they only require that you have above a 3.0 in prereq and last 36 and then your gpa isn’t factored into interview offers OR admissions decisions. Once you meet that minimum, you’re good.
So my last 36 would be a last 54 instead as well?

So my last 36 would be a last 54 instead as well?
Yes. Because you cannot pick and choose what courses go into it. That would be unfair. It’s the WHOLE semester that the 36th credit falls in. But as long as it’s above a 3.0, it doesn’t matter for MSU. They don’t care at all about gpa beyond that.

Yes. Because you cannot pick and choose what courses go into it. That would be unfair. It’s the WHOLE semester that the 36th credit falls in. But as long as it’s above a 3.0, it doesn’t matter for MSU. They don’t care at all about gpa beyond that.
Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
The calculation is actually kinda conmplicated. I had to self report it for, Wisconsin I believe?

They include the whole semester (or quarter) that gets you over the requirement for sure. But the calculation actually is all the other quarters together plus the last quarter added separately. Im good at math but couldn't figure out the reasoning at the time

The calculation is actually kinda conmplicated. I had to self report it for, Wisconsin I believe?

They include the whole semester (or quarter) that gets you over the requirement for sure. But the calculation actually is all the other quarters together plus the last quarter added separately. Im good at math but couldn't figure out the reasoning at the time

Sorry for the late appearance, but I thought adding due to the related topic might be more polite than making a whole new thread (I'm a newbie, so correct me if I'm wrong!): Is the weird formula for calculating "last X credits" standardized, or does it vary from school-to-school how it's calculated?