This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1323x0299x3459

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

Who am I:


I have research and volunteering experience, a ~3.9 GPA, but I lack three semesters of medical school pre-requisites.

The plan for the rest of my life:

My plan is to move to TX and take classes for 1.5 years while working. Afterward, stay in TX for medical school, residency, and beyond.

----

Thoughts? Suggestions for further reading?

Thank you!
 
Last edited:
RAW ADVICE AHEAD:

Ok, moving to a state with a high IS acceptance, I see your point, sounds solid. Thoroughly research those schools though - some of the newer Texas schools are a little risky, solely because they're new.

Nail your MCAT. Even if the state schools have a low average, you can't afford to do bad - you're non-traditional. Don't get anything shy of a 512, and a 127+ in every section. This will make medical schools suddenly want you.

ECs: get some clinical care, EMT is great, but also throw in some hospital volunteering as well as non-hospital volunteering. You'll most likely need to do some form of shadowing to "show your dedication to the field and you've observed how a doctor see's patients, works with residents, writes notes, etc."

If all goes well you'll have nailed it.