Looking for similar experiance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KellBelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I will be graduating this year from the University of Michigan with a degree in Biology. The problem is my GPA is not good enough to apply to pharmacy school this year. I have plans of retaking about half of my prereq's at the University of Toledo next year. I have taken quite a few classes there before and am very confident I can get all A's. I was wondering if any of you guys have been in a situation like mine; fairly bad undergrad GPA, but retook classes and received great grades. Was getting into pharmacy school impossible? I am just hoping that my bad undergrad record will not hinder me too much. Do you think schools would look at that as a major improvement or as a downfall since I wasn't able to produce the good grades the first time I took them? Any advice or stories of your own experiances would be greatly appreciated. Pharmacy school is my ultimate goal but I don't necessarily want to spend 3 more years just trying to get accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly is your GPA, coz it might not be that bad. There's a large number of students with less than perfect undergrad records, with d's, f's and withdrawals on their transcripts who, when they retook those classes, showed drastic improvement. I wouldn't get too depressed about it already...also, try to shine in other areas- get some pharmacy experience and volunteer work under your belt.

My GPA is a 2.5, I have 3 F's (due to a personal issue I was going through) and 2 D+'s. I have volunteered at a hospital pharmacy for about a year and have been working at the Michigan Med-School in the pharmacology lab for 3.5 years. I have been trying to get a pharmacy tech job forever, but to know avail. People with pharmacy tech jobs, did you get your license first and then apply for jobs? Or did you just apply with no experience and your company provided you with training for free? It is intimidating because most posts in these forums are of students with outstanding stats, so I am just looking for pharmacy students from the other side of the spectrum.

If you do some searches on this website you should find plenty of information related to your case.